Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see black spots on the garage floor on both sides right in the inside of where the front tires are. 2012 with about 84k on the clock, but I will make absolutely sure, obviously. I saw a Youtube vdeo where the dude pulled the arms off then pulled the bushing assemblies off and reinstalled new ones, reinstalled with the old arms and ball joint. I fished around and on another post found Rock auto part #, RK621550 & RK621551, they are about $145 each. Why would anyone not replace the whole arms and just the bushings? Is the parts price differential that great?

·
Registered
866 Posts
The aftermarket lower control arms and fluid-filled bushings seem to be junk--especially the rubber compounds. Unless the ball joint in the control arm is worn or has a torn boot, I'd just buy the Honda rear (fluid-filled) bushings and then alignment. I will note the latest version of that OEM bushing seems to be more robust. Mine were replaced by Honda under an extended warranty on the part. That was 45k mi and coming on 3 yrs ago, and when I checked them in early Jan (2021), there was some light surface crazing, but no deep fissure cracks like the previous ones developed before failing (~30k mi of service).

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I see black spots on the garage floor on both sides right in the inside of where the front tires are. 2012 with about 84k on the clock, but I will make absolutely sure, obviously. I saw a Youtube vdeo where the dude pulled the arms off then pulled the bushing assemblies off and reinstalled new ones, reinstalled with the old arms and ball joint. I fished around and on another post found Rock auto part #, RK621550 & RK621551, they are about $145 each. Why would anyone not replace the whole arms and just the bushings? Is the parts price differential that great?
OEM run about $320 discounted a side for the whole arm and $220 for the compliance bushing. So you save $200. Personally, I'd use the OEM bushings over the $145 arms if the other rubber parts are ok on your existing arms.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Depending on the miles and condition of the car, the other two wear points on a control arm might justify the whole new arm option over just changing the rear bushings. You get the ball joint and the front bushing with the arm. Of course you can replace those as discrete pieces too I think, and just reuse the castings. Regardless, replacing any or all of those pieces means a trip to the alignment store.

My 'do it like you mean it' philosophy would have new dampers and upper shock/strut mounts, plus tie rods and ends all at once. Once the car is on the lift, tools are out, might as well go through all the susceptible puzzle pieces before trying to fit it all back in there.

I wonder how many of the aftermarket control arm or compliance-bushing problems were related to leaving other worn original parts in place. And particularly whether the compliance bushings were installed "neutral" in the normally-loaded position?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got down on the creeper and turned the left wheel...there is no doubt about the fact they are bad. Now how to proceed.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Just cruising the Honda parts diagram exploded, it doesn't look like the balljoint is a separately-replaceable part, nor is the front bushing. The rear compliance bushing is a separate piece, not included with control arm. So what I said above needs a dash of salt...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Should have made sure they were leaking before they hit the 8 year mark. ;-)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should have made sure they were leaking before they hit the 8 year mark. ;-)
Dude trust me, every time I had it at the dealership for an oil change I was like a broken record; "check the compliance bushings, check the undercarraige for excessive corrrosion"

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dude trust me, every time I had it at the dealership for an oil change I was like a broken record; "check the compliance bushings, check the undercarraige for excessive corrrosion"
Maybe go back with the argument that you’d complained about them failing the whole time and the dealership kept blowing you off? If you have the request in your paperwork who knows... they may honor it. They don’t have to leak to be bad technically.... so you may have been complaining about them legitimately failing under warranty. I dunno- I’d be tempted to ask, all they can say is no.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yup I started seeing the black spots as well... but I believe the '15 isn't covered by the extended warranty at this point.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went with aftermarket (Mevotech) for about $70 shipped a little more than two years ago. I took a look at them when I put the snows on this past December and still look good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put Mevotechs on four years ago and have had no issues. They looked to be of excellent quality. It's a pretty easy job with proper hand tools and a little suspension experience. Pilot will need an alignment afterwards.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe go back with the argument that you’d complained about them failing the whole time and the dealership kept blowing you off? If you have the request in your paperwork who knows... they may honor it. They don’t have to leak to be bad technically.... so you may have been complaining about them legitimately failing under warranty. I dunno- I’d be tempted to ask, all they can say is no.
I did look at my dealership receipts and there is nothing on them about me asking them to check the bushings-coupled with the fact that the vehicle is every bit 8 and a half years past delivery and 6 months out of HondaCare warranty(which had paid out on 3 major items, rack and pinion, driver's seat frame and propeller shaft) all leads me to believe that it would most likely be futile to get Honda's assistance. I already bought the Honda kit for $439 plus the Governor's cut. I've got a buddy that's going to take care of it for $100 per side labor, and have a freebie alignment due me at our old Hyundai dealership so I'm anticipating this to be about a $650-$675 ordeal. Hell that's about a car payment and a half-works for me.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I did look at my dealership receipts and there is nothing on them about me asking them to check the bushings-coupled with the fact that the vehicle is every bit 8 and a half years past delivery and 6 months out of HondaCare warranty(which had paid out on 3 major items, rack and pinion, driver's seat frame and propeller shaft) all leads me to believe that it would most likely be futile to get Honda's assistance. I already bought the Honda kit for $439 plus the Governor's cut. I've got a buddy that's going to take care of it for $100 per side labor, and have a freebie alignment due me at our old Hyundai dealership so I'm anticipating this to be about a $650-$675 ordeal. Hell that's about a car payment and a half-works for me.
What's included in the $439 Honda kit?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I just did some digging, apparently the recall still stops at '14. It looks entirely doable but finding the time is a challenge, I will likely wait for it to get worse. Right now there's no noticeable difference in behavior just some black spots on the floor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
... It looks entirely doable but finding the time is a challenge, I will likely wait for it to get worse. Right now there's no noticeable difference in behavior just some black spots on the floor.
That's what you think! Mine were not yet leaking but cracked so deeply that they were probably days away from dripping. After putting the new ones on, it was beyond a night and day difference. Even the wife commented that it felt like a brand new car again.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
244 Posts
got my compliance bushings replaced before they leaked to resolve a vibration and premature tire wear. had them done at the local import shop for ~$900.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
That's what you think! Mine were not yet leaking but cracked so deeply that they were probably days away from dripping. After putting the new ones on, it was beyond a night and day difference. Even the wife commented that it felt like a brand new car again.
Maybe they had already leaked and were empty? I guess I'll have to check mine now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's included in the $439 Honda kit?
Honda part # 04513-SZA-020 it was described as a "kit" Honda put out in response to the fairly widespread compliance bushing failures. It's basically two bushing/housings.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Honda part # 04513-SZA-020 it was described as a "kit" Honda put out in response to the fairly widespread compliance bushing failures. It's basically two bushing/housings.
Well, at least the sweethearts give you new bolts (screws?) too. Being a "kit" I thought there might be more to it. But I hadn't had my meds yet today so I forgive myself.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts