Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my 18 inch wheels to 20s. I'm eyeing Beyern Autobahn Gloss Gunmetal 20x10 5x120 +35. If I go with tire size of 275/45R20, would this size cause any problems in terms of rubbing against the inside of the wheel well, steering, handling, etc.? Looking for some feedback from the community. Thanks all.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
245/50R20 is the recommended 20" size.

Reactions: Honda7 and Swim Dad

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm pretty sure that a 275 size tire WILL scrape the wheel well. I think at most a 265 will work but at most I personally would go with a 255 just to be safe if I had to get a big tire. If you can use one, a 245 size will work best with your car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A few people here have 265 tires with +50 offset with absolutely no issues at all. But 275 with +35 offset might get it close enough to rub turning at full lock... that's an extra 20mm closer to the fender.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
592 Posts
Looking to upgrade my 18 inch wheels to 20s. I'm eyeing Beyern Autobahn Gloss Gunmetal 20x10 5x120 +35. If I go with tire size of 275/45R20, would this size cause any problems in terms of rubbing against the inside of the wheel well, steering, handling, etc.? Looking for some feedback from the community. Thanks all.
Theres not a big difference from the stock size but if you make a big swing in the size you may want to plug it into one of these so you can mentally adjust your speed.

On another note, 2 weeks ago I realized my GF's BMW was showing 3-4 mph different from the GPS. A quick Google search and BMW is notorious for always displaying faster than actual speed. I haven't noticed a difference with my Pilot but still worth checking and then comparing.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres not a big difference from the stock size but if you make a big swing in the size you may want to plug it into one of these so you can mentally adjust your speed.

On another note, 2 weeks ago I realized my GF's BMW was showing 3-4 mph different from the GPS. A quick Google search and BMW is notorious for always displaying faster than actual speed. I haven't noticed a difference with my Pilot but still worth checking and then comparing.
Highspeedbail
Thanks for the link. Will look into it.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Here is a thread with a minor rub with 265 70 17s.

·
Registered
113 Posts
According to discount tire direct, there should be no issues with a 20x10" +35mm and a 275/45/R20.

For example,
Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus (275/45-R20 110Y XL)
Wheel: TSW Mallory, Drag DR-73, TSW Brooklands (some with the 20x10 +35mm)

are listed as fitting.

You can speak with them, buy from them (I have many times) and get them installed. They also give you 100% satisfaction, if it has any problem, even 2 weeks down the road.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That 20” tire is less than 2/10” taller than stock, shouldn’t be a problem but you never know. The 35 offset will move the rim outward a tad over 3/4” compared to OE 55 offset. The 2” wider than OE 8” rim will move the rim inward 1”. Seems like 1/4” net further inward would not be a clearance issue but you never know until one is mounted and clearance checked/verified. If the OE tire is 245, the 275 tire will be 1.18” wider. Something to consider.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to discount tire direct, there should be no issues with a 20x10" +35mm and a 275/45/R20.

For example,
Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus (275/45-R20 110Y XL)
Wheel: TSW Mallory, Drag DR-73, TSW Brooklands (some with the 20x10 +35mm)

are listed as fitting.

You can speak with them, buy from them (I have many times) and get them installed. They also give you 100% satisfaction, if it has any problem, even 2 weeks down the road.
Thanks smufguy. Good to know!

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That 20” tire is less than 2/10” taller than stock, shouldn’t be a problem but you never know. The 35 offset will move the rim outward a tad over 3/4” compared to OE 55 offset. The 2” wider than OE 8” rim will move the rim inward 1”. Seems like 1/4” net further inward would not be a clearance issue but you never know until one is mounted and clearance checked/verified. If the OE tire is 245, the 275 tire will be 1.18” wider. Something to consider.
Hey PLT383,
I was hoping someone had done this on their Pilot with the specs that I was looking at and basically replying "no issues whatsoever".

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sorry......I wouldn't tell anyone "no issues whatsoever" when straying away from OE tire/wheel sizes. I believe I have a decent understanding of the 3 tire size numbers on the tire sidewall and the arithmetic that applies to those 3 numbers regarding tire diameter, width and aspect ratio. Also, I think I have a reasonable understanding of the arithmetic involved in wheel/rim dimensions/offsets.

Everything smufguy post is good info......talk to the experts, as he recommended.(y) I believe the experts use the same arithmetic I use.👌

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry......I wouldn't tell anyone "no issues whatsoever" when straying away from OE tire/wheel sizes. I believe I have a decent understanding of the 3 tire size numbers on the tire sidewall and the arithmetic that applies to those 3 numbers regarding tire diameter, width and aspect ratio. Also, I think I have a reasonable understanding of the arithmetic involved in wheel/rim dimensions/offsets.

Everything smufguy post is good info......talk to the experts, as he recommended.(y) I believe the experts use the same arithmetic I use.👌
Point taken. Thanks PLT383!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Post some pics when you git ‘er done.(y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 2019-2021 Passports have 20" wheels and tires and dozens of owners have been switching to 18" All terrain set-ups and there are lots of sets being sold. The great thing is that they match the Off-Set of the Pilot (as far as I know). I also know some Odyssey and Ridgeline owners have put the 20" Passport set-ups on their vehicles.

You can pickup an entire set for a super price, the Passport website is owned by the same company that runs this Pilot website, here is the Link:

(I think I my 20" wheels/tires here listed for sale in both websites)

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts

Yep, motorcycles are notorious for for reading aw much as 12% over 'real speed' For good reasons I guess.
Often I'll see a post from a squid how their 600 was doing 180, when real speed would have showed about 155mph.
I have a 'speedo-healer' I put on mine, it's 1-2mph over across the spectrum.

Reactions: Highspeedbail
1 - 17 of 17 Posts