Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

The rear pads are at about 4/5mm now so need replacing soon. However pads are less than year or 2 old so I'm thinking the rotors may be bad causing premature wearings so looking to just get all 4 done.

What rotors and pads do people use here? Ceramic, drilled and slotted?

please advise..

Sean P

p.s. back tailgate is slow to open and close now, I think it needs some kind of lubricant, what should I use?

·
Registered
258 Posts
A lot of people recommend the centric premium rotors. I didn't have much luck with them before they started to give me vibration. I then put on the Powerstop Z23 kit on front and back and it has been excellent. I tow our boat a lot and the stopping power is great and no vibrations.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: richardyunlee

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my Raybestos Element 3 Rotors and pads I bought from RockAuto. Installed on my 2012 Crosstour. Rotors are coated to prevent rust. Quality stuff at a great price.

EDDIT . The front and rear kit is now available. Maybe save a dollar or 2 that way.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
I love NAPA ultra premium pads and rotors. If you are a AAA member you get 20% off. If you want to buy online, everyone recommends Centric and I actually just bought Centric pads and rotors on Rockauto so I’ll see how they are.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I used the Centric axle packs on Rock Auto. I make sure I always follow the recommended break in procedure and haven't had vibration issues on at least 10 cars now.

I wouldn't mind trying a pad that offers lower dust and similar stopping power but those rotors have been good for me.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
While I am fond of ceramic pads, they are usually twice as expensive as the older, organic, semi metallic or metallic pads. If I hadn't traded in my Pilot for a Passport I would have needed a brake job at probably 74-75 thousand miles. I traded it in with 72000 on it with the original pads and rotors with 4mm on the front and 5mm on the back. My plan was to put on ceramic pads, which is what I will do when the Passport eventually needs new brakes.

One thing that would extend the life of your brake pads and rotors is to make some changes in your driving habits if warranted. One significant contributor to brake wear and rotor warping is driving and braking habits.

Don't ride the brakes. It wears out brakes and heats the rotors with the constant slight pressure the brakes are applying.

Don't follow too closely to other vehicles causing a person to brake harder, again heating the brakes and wearing them out quicker.

Don't brake to early. When you see a that you need to stop for a red light, stop sign or traffic conditions take your foot off the gas and let the engine do some of the braking for you instead of braking for a long distance.

Reducing your speed to the speed limit will help extend brakes and rotor life as well as you are not putting added stress on the brakes as well as reducing the need for braking by not out running traffic and traffic congestion.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
We just went on a trip in my wife's 2014 and I noticed that the steering wheel was shaking when the brakes were applied. It's about at 50k miles so I just ordered slotted/drilled rotors and Wagner ceramic pads from Rock Auto. $284 plus $50 shipping (for front and rear). Should be here in a week.

·
Registered
651 Posts
We just went on a trip in my wife's 2014 and I noticed that the steering wheel was shaking when the brakes were applied. It's about at 50k miles so I just ordered slotted/drilled rotors and Wagner ceramic pads from Rock Auto. $284 plus $50 shipping (for front and rear). Should be here in a week.
Should've just went with blanks. Slotted/drilled are a gimmick and are prone to cracking.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Should've just went with blanks. Slotted/drilled are a gimmick and are prone to cracking.
I've had good experience with the drilled/slotted rotors, they are far from a gimmick. My daily driver is a retired police Tahoe which came with them. They were quite worn and abused when I got it so I just replaced them with the same. It's been 60k miles so far and they're doing great. I also put them on my daughters 06 Scion XB. It's around 20k miles on that so far no problems.
To your point, all rotors can crack. I used to run large auto centers (24-30 bay) in a past life. I've seen many a strange thing when it comes to brakes. It all comes down to manufacturing of the rotor and how hard the owners are on them. If you're willing to spend a few more bucks on drilled/slotted rotors you will notice a difference. There's a reason why you see them on sports cars and police vehicles. If you do go with them, don't skimp on the pads.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the Rockauto Raybestos..and paid my cuzzo a 24pk to do em for me.

One thing I noticed now tho... the Parking brake seems weaker now...

Ex. driveway is very steep, but prior to brake job, didn't matter where on the grade I parked it, once I slammed down the parking brake, the Pilot would not move..

NOW, after the brake job, if its at too steep in the peak of the driveway, even with parking brake slammed, it will start rolling down..

What could be the cause, and ever better, how to resolve?

Unfortunately its -11 these days so I may have to have cuzzo work on it, since I dont' have a heated garage, much less the time to tackle stuff like this these days...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I work at a car dealership and have seen so many complaints from aftermarket I just changed my front pads, rotors, rear pads, rotors and rear calipers all with OEM. I do work in the industry so I get a discount on Honda parts which helps point me towards oem as well.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I went with the Rockauto Raybestos..and paid my cuzzo a 24pk to do em for me.

One thing I noticed now tho... the Parking brake seems weaker now...

Ex. driveway is very steep, but prior to brake job, didn't matter where on the grade I parked it, once I slammed down the parking brake, the Pilot would not move..

NOW, after the brake job, if its at too steep in the peak of the driveway, even with parking brake slammed, it will start rolling down..

What could be the cause, and ever better, how to resolve?

Unfortunately its -11 these days so I may have to have cuzzo work on it, since I dont' have a heated garage, much less the time to tackle stuff like this these days...
The parking brake shoes have an adjuster that should have been adjusted with the new rotors. Normal practice is to retract the adjuster prior to rear rotor removal. On installation of the new rotors, the parking brake shoe adjuster needs to be extended again.

The adjuster is accessed through a hole in the hub face of the rotor. Adjust the nut inside with a brake adjusting spoon or a good screwdriver, until the rotor is locked. Then back off the adjustment nut ten teeth, and replace the wheel. Do this on both rear wheels. When both sides are completed, the pedal should fully engage the parking brake in 8 to 10 pedal clicks.

OK to get more brew for the cuz, but no consumption until the job is finished this time... ;)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
What could be the cause?
paid my cuzzo a 24pk to do em for me.
how to resolve?
The parking brake shoes have an adjuster that should have been adjusted with the new rotors. Normal practice is to retract the adjuster prior to rear rotor removal. On installation of the new rotors, the parking brake shoe adjuster needs to be extended again.

The adjuster is accessed through a hole in the hub face of the rotor. Adjust the nut inside with a brake adjusting spoon or a good screwdriver, until the rotor is locked. Then back off the adjustment nut ten teeth, and replace the wheel. Do this on both rear wheels. When both sides are completed, the pedal should fully engage the parking brake in 8 to 10 pedal clicks.

OK to get more brew for the cuz, but no consumption until the job is finished this time... ;)
You already had half the answer for the cause-o part, and now you have the rest. :) Still, be nice to the cuzzo.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
You already had half the answer for the cause-o part,
I'm just verifying that your knocking Raybestos brake pads and rotors?
On gaurd! 😁

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I now realize and feel for me, I don't measure rotor thickness. I rarely change them when doing brake pads anyways.
All my vehicles stop, and stop well. And I don't have any warped rotors either LOL

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 18 of 18 Posts