Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm considering to purchase a used 2006 Honda Pilot EX. It has 130k miles. According to CarFax, it's one-owner truck and history is clean.

What are common issues with this year-model Pilot?

I read crazy things about year models 2003-05; like sudden braking, engine issues,etc.

Your candid feedback is appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,018 Posts
First and foremost if you test drive it and like it, pay to have it inspected by your trusted mechanic. The ~$100 spent could save you many times that or give you price negotiating leverage if something major is found.
Secondly if you can get maintenance records that is invaluable. Compare against the required maintenance for a 2005 Pilot (Honda switched to the maintenance minder in 2006). Otherwise use Carfax maintenance listed and compare against required.
Third trust your gut feel. If something doesn’t seem right then it’s probably not.
I have a 2005 so I’m not sure which issues carried over to the 2006, so don’t want to give you incorrect info.
Good luck finding the perfect Pilot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those things are standard due diligence when buying a used car.

I'm referring to any peculiarities about this year model Pilot.

For example, I also own a 2007 Honda Accord. I know my particular generation Honda Accord covers production years 2003 to 2007. It was very common to experience transmission failure around 100k miles on V6 model Accord from 2003 to 2005. And on my particular year model it's apparently common to have trunk leaks. I could attest to that as I'm presenting trying to fix this.

On V6 models from 2003 to 2007 it was also very common to have spark plug holes threads strip or the plugs themselves come loose over time, causing all associated nasties when one doesn't check as periodically as one should.

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,018 Posts
Guess you missed my next to last sentence. :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Those things are standard due diligence when buying a used car.

I'm referring to any peculiarities about this year model Pilot.

For example, I also own a 2007 Honda Accord. I know my particular generation Honda Accord covers production years 2003 to 2007. It was very common to experience transmission failure around 100k miles on V6 model Accord from 2003 to 2005. And on my particular year model it's apparently common to have trunk leaks. I could attest to that as I'm presenting trying to fix this.

On V6 models from 2003 to 2007 it was also very common to have spark plug holes threads strip or the plugs themselves come loose over time, causing all associated nasties when one doesn't check as periodically as one should.

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

You are expecting an awful lot of (free) professional and specific detail on your chosen model. I would suggest that you relax and accept the friendly postings that are offered by the members of this forum. Is everything written here golden? No, of course not. But if you allow people to try to help, you may just get a few useful insights. Lighten up, let people try to help you, and take the information with a grain of salt. If you want only professional advice, then go to a professional and pay his price.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Here is one issue that applies to all older Pilots in the rust belt (road salt states). Rear subframe attachment points can rust out and pull loose. Any Pilot over 10 years old that has lived with road salt should be checked for this problem. You don't say where you are, so I just put this one out there in case it could help.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
938 Posts
I don't have a ton of experience but I would generally avoid 2003-2005 due to the transmission issues. I know 2003 were mainly affected but better safe than sorry. 2006 was the first year after the refresh so there could be more "issues" because of that (I have not found this to be true, but it's possible).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the feedback.

So far from what I've googled, nothing stands out about this year model as catastrophic unlike 2003-05.

Not bent on pulling the trigger on this one. It hasn't sold and it seems dealer has sat on it for some time, so it makes me wonder what's up with it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I suspect that widespread "catastrophic" problems mainly exist on the internet. There are a lot of Pilots on the road, from every model year. Avoiding this year or that may improve your odds some with a used car, but knowing what to look for and doing a thorough inspection will improve them a lot more. To amplify STMech's advice, there are many threads on this topic that can give you much more knowledge that you'll get from this one. You can be your own expert by investing a few hours reading some of them.

To me, "dealer has sat on it" means the car is priced wrong. Decide how much you can pay and still feel good about whatever goes wrong, then do your inspection. Deduct $ for every negative you find. Offer $500. less than that number. Maybe you'll be the one to convince him to get realistic. Or maybe you'll discover its a jewel at the price offered. Every one you do is good practice, and eventually you'll find a good deal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i can also vouch for the spark plug tightness - i recommend checking them every spring. They had a tendancy on my 2006 to loosen up over a few years time. recommend 5w30 - mine liked that

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
i can also vouch for the spark plug tightness - i recommend checking them every spring. They had a tendancy on my 2006 to loosen up over a few years time. recommend 5w30 - mine liked that
Never had issues like that in both of my two 06's now both are hitting the ballpark of 288k on the meter and why just out of curiosity move away from the 0w20 (5w20) that is now
recommended for these pilots ? no serious issues to contend with just maintenance if key and depends on where you are RUST ..keep on top of it ..

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I'm considering to purchase a used 2006 Honda Pilot EX. It has 130k miles. According to CarFax, it's one-owner truck and history is clean.
Unless it has already been done, keep in mind that a 2006 Pilot will be due for its second timing belt change any day now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have owned a 2006 Pilot EX AWD for about 8 years now. Bought it from a used car dealer obviously with almost 100k miles on it. It now has closed to 190k and so far (Thank God!) haven't had any issues with it other than regular maintenance, battery replacement and had to replace the key once because the wife dropped it and broke lol. Engine is smooth and quiet and it is a pleasure to ride. I am now considering lifting it and making it an off-road with bigger tires, black wheels, etc. Just for the looks of course and to make it a little more masculine haha.

They are wonderful SUVs to be honest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ You own a 2006 model, which apparently didn't suffer from the issues I googled.

There's a website that logs complaints for different vehicles. The year models that came up with what I consider catastrophic issues were within 2003-2005.

2003 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints
2004 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints
2005 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints

From 2006 forward, it seems something was re-designed as the complaint types are much less severe.

2006 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints

The one I planned to check out got away. Went to dealer website today but it sold apparently. But I shall keep searching.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
^ You own a 2006 model, which apparently didn't suffer from the issues I googled.

There's a website that logs complaints for different vehicles. The year models that came up with what I consider catastrophic issues were within 2003-2005.

2003 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints
2004 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints
2005 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints

From 2006 forward, it seems something was re-designed as the complaint types are much less severe.

2006 Honda Pilot Problems, Defects & Complaints

The one I planned to check out got away. Went to dealer website today but it sold apparently. But I shall keep searching.
Then you know that the 06 and up are not bad ..good luck in your ventures !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts