Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2004 EX-L
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as the title states I am looking to install an amp in my 04 Pilot EX-L. I have been lurking on this site for quite some time and have pretty much found all of the information I need for this project. (Thanks guys!) only a few things that I was not able to get. For anyone who has installed an amp I am wondering how long your run was for the power cable. I have opted to install in the cargo headrest storage location and plan on mounting an external fan as well.

I purchased 17FT of 0ga power wire but now I think it may not be enough 馃拃
If I end up having to cross over to the passenger side grommet I don鈥檛 think it will be enough but I鈥檓 not sure if I do a straight shot on the drivers side and drill my own hole through the fire wall if it would be enough. Just wanted to pick some brains if they remember how long their runs were. I know I used the passenger side to run my cabling for my back up camera so I think to reduce interference i鈥檇 like to go the drivers side anyway.

Lastly would like to clarify that I would indeed have to drill my own hole on the drivers side in order to run the cable as well. Not sure if any new information has been found about maybe a hidden grommet or something of the sort.

sorry for my ranting, thank you guys for all of your knowledge.

Registered
2004 EX-L
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol it鈥檚 a 3,200 watt 5 channel amp (1,600 RMS) I鈥檝e read that the amp actually stays pretty cool as it is but I figured for $20 I鈥檇 get the fan just to be safe. I know a lot of people on here said to get a fan if mounting in the headrest area.

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
Good thing the Pilot has rear air conditioning, lol.

Forum audio system expert @scorrpio should be dropping in shortly, as soon as he catches the scent of your beast. :)

Registered
Already did, as a matter of fact. Guess you plan to entertain the entire neighborhood?
For that wattage, you do need 0 gauge, and also might want to consider a capacitor
I would say, for wire that heavy, just drill an extra hole and run it as straight and short as possible.

Registered
2004 EX-L
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already did, as a matter of fact. Guess you plan to entertain the entire neighborhood?
For that wattage, you do need 0 gauge, and also might want to consider a capacitor
I would say, for wire that heavy, just drill an extra hole and run it as straight and short as possible.
Haha nah nothing like that. My friend was working for a company but has since left and he had an amp that he was given essentially for field testing at a release party thing and he didn鈥檛 need any more amps so he sold it to me for half price which is $100 so considering in that price range I would not be able to find anything to drive the 75w RMS door speakers I have already installed & the 400w RMS subwoofer I am about to I jumped on the deal. If I was younger for sure I鈥檇 wake the whole neighborhood but now, nahh I just want clear crisp music that I can bump when I want to lol

I have an old 6 or 8 farad capacitor that I鈥檝e nursed back to health in anticipation of this install although my intention is to install it without it at first and see if the draw is too much and the lights dim. If so I鈥檒l just route the capacitor in. I have all my old wiring so I have plenty of 8ga & 4ga & distribution blocks. I do also intend to do the big 3/4

Registered
Ok, just be real careful with those gain knobs. Feeding 1600W into 700W worth of speakers can do nasty things to them...

Registered
2004 EX-L
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, just be real careful with those gain knobs. Feeding 1600W into 700W worth of speakers can do nasty things to them...
Thanks for your help I truly appreciate it. I鈥檝e seen your name on plenty of posts I read through and have gotten some good information from them in those posts as well

I鈥檓 curious to find out if anyone else had run 0Ga for an amp build in the 03-08 and where you guys decided to run the cable. I have everything ready to go I am just hesitant on where to drill the hole.

I saw a video on YouTube but it didn鈥檛 look like that guy had the insulation in place on the vehicle. I would be more confident if there wasn鈥檛 that bulky insulation so I can see where I鈥檓 drilling exactly. I know the insulation is there for protection & I haven鈥檛 found anything saying that I can/should take it out to drill this hole.
If anyone has a photo of where they chose to run their 0Ga it would be much appreciated
Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts