Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Morimoto 35W with their XB ballasts. They have huge light output. Too much in fact. I travel in hilly areas and people flash high beams at me too much. The headlights have been adjusted down quite a bit, but when cresting hills, they still catch other drivers full force in the face. I've compared them to other HID in other cars and these are a step above in light output. I figure it probably has to do with the lens filtering (or lack of) in the projectors or simply the Pilot's projector being super good at light output.

I have a set of XeonDepot Extreme LED Pro in my Accord and they don't burn out your retinas like the Morimoto HIDs when you are being lit up. Looking to get a set of those or a set of Morimoto 2Stroke version 2. In searching the forums, people seem to like both the Extreme LED Pro and 2Stroke (v1 and v2).

My question is, do you think I will notice much difference in the Pilot application between the HID and LEDs?

I cannot go back to the pathetic halogens, so I have to find a happy middle ground.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Installed Morimoto 2Stroke Ver2 H11 bulbs in. Much more compatible with city and hilly driving. The usable light output is 80 to 90% of the HIDs. Still a HUGE improvement over the halogens. This is the way i should have gone the first time. The installation was a matter of minutes rather than hours for the HID system. Just plug them into the existing OEM wiring harness. No new power relays to run and ballasts to mount.

I will say that future bulb upgrades will be using the Xeon Depot fanless product. The Morimotos are fine in light output, but I am worried about their QC and longevity. The 2Strokes seem to have a lot of reviews where the noise and vibration of the fans is noticeable. I cannot hear them with the engine one, but engine off is another story. Plus, it only seems to be one of the bulbs that is really noisy and the humm can be felt through the front fender. The other bulb seems to be running at roughly the same RPM, but is much more quiet. Time will tell if the result will be a fan failure on one or the other.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Installed Morimoto 2Stroke Ver2 H11 bulbs in. Much more compatible with city and hilly driving. The usable light output is 80 to 90% of the HIDs. Still a HUGE improvement over the halogens. This is the way i should have gone the first time. The installation was a matter of minutes rather than hours for the HID system. Just plug them into the existing OEM wiring harness. No new power relays to run and ballasts to mount.

I will say that future bulb upgrades will be using the Xeon Depot fanless product. The Morimotos are fine in light output, but I am worried about their QC and longevity. The 2Strokes seem to have a lot of reviews where the noise and vibration of the fans is noticeable. I cannot hear them with the engine one, but engine off is another story. Plus, it only seems to be one of the bulbs that is really noisy and the humm can be felt through the front fender. The other bulb seems to be running at roughly the same RPM, but is much more quiet. Time will tell if the result will be a fan failure on one or the other.
My HIDs from Xenondepot 5 years ago didn’t need relays and took 20 minutes with a clean install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts