Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade from my 2001 Accord to a more family oriented vehicle to lug an infant+dog.
3rd row seats will mostly be down for cargo or used by family to drive into town (15-30mins).
Other requirements are AWD for winters (Midwest).

My budget is 20K and hoping find a good used option under 100k miles.

Is there something I should be concerned about the 2016 Pilot models when inspecting a used one. What sort of maintenance I should expect around 100k. This was the 1st year for the redesigned model, better to avoid it? I was also told to stay away from the 9spd transmission in Elite.

I am also looking at the 3rd gen highlander and not sure how they compare to the Pilot. Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I guess I'm not surprised that no one has answered you. The 16 model was the first of this generation and it was not without problems. Big problems too. Most notably fuel injector/rail replacement, engine mounts and for some, transmission failure. All fixable. But not ok if it's you at this stage. It would be important to know what's been done. Make sure all TSBs have been performed and take for an extra long test drive to make sure CELs don't come on. Is it excessively loud in the cabin (having to talk loud)? After engine is warmed up. Test engine mounts... place your left foot on the brake firmly. Shift into drive while gently pressing on the gas pedal. Do you hear a knock knock knock... (Then in reverse). These are signs of a broken engine mount. Check the ATF with a white rag. Is the fluid red? Brown or worse, black with a musty burn smell, I'd walk away. I'm sure others will have more to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm not surprised that no one has answered you. The 16 model was the first of this generation and it was not without problems. Big problems too. Most notably fuel injector/rail replacement, engine mounts and for some, transmission failure. All fixable. But not ok if it's you at this stage. It would be important to know what's been done. Make sure all TSBs have been performed and take for an extra long test drive to make sure CELs don't come on. Is it excessively loud in the cabin (having to talk loud)? After engine is warmed up. Test engine mounts... place your left foot on the brake firmly. Shift into drive while gently pressing on the gas pedal. Do you hear a knock knock knock... (Then in reverse). These are signs of a broken engine mount. Check the ATF with a white rag. Is the fluid red? Brown or worse, black with a musty burn smell, I'd walk away. I'm sure others will have more to say.
Thanks. This helps. The last time i bought a used car was 7 yrs ago and it is coming back to me how miserable the search was!!Sometimes i wish i was like most people and just buy a car based on how it looks but the engineer in me wants to research everything smh.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I gave mine back in December with only 19k on it, would have been great to find that one! I'd try for a 17 if possible so you get Android auto and car play

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Test engine mounts... place your left foot on the brake firmly. Shift into drive while gently pressing on the gas pedal. Do you hear a knock knock knock... (Then in reverse). These are signs of a broken engine mount.
Not to jack your thread but I'd like to try this - @Nail Grease are you saying to shift into drive while your foot is on both the accelerator and brake or hold your foot on the brake (firmly), shift into drive and then slowly step on the accelerator?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Not to jack your thread but I'd like to try this - @Nail Grease are you saying to shift into drive while your foot is on both the accelerator and brake or hold your foot on the brake (firmly), shift into drive and then slowly step on the accelerator?
Left foot on brake firmly hold.
Shift into drive.
Right foot easy on the gas pedal, putting the engine under a slight load.
Listen for a knock knock knock.
Repeat in reverse.

Reactions: toolazy4alogin

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thank you for the clarification
Further clarification,
The front and rear engine mounts are electronic. The engine must be warmed up to operating temperature when you do this test. That's why the long test drive too.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
My wife and I were looking to spend $25k to $30k CDN to purchase a replacement for our aging Saturn Vue. We found a nice 2016 EXL Nav with 80k Kms within our price range and it drove really nice and had no issues that we were aware of. We were offered an extended full warranty for $4k which we declined as that covers a lot of parts and repairs. A common issue is the fuel injectors which can be a DIY job if you are mechanically inclined. As was mentioned, check the engine oil and transmission fluids for discoloration and take the vehicle for a nice long test drive and check all the options and AWD modes to make sure they work and don't trigger any faults. There are some great deals on used models out there especially if you can find a good one. The 3rd gen Pilot is a nice comfortable vehicle to drive and gets amazing fuel economy for a vehicle of its size. I have no regrets about our purchase and I am glad we didn't shell out over $50k CDN for a new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts