Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade from my 2001 Accord to a more family oriented vehicle to lug an infant+dog.
3rd row seats will mostly be down for cargo or used by family to drive into town (15-30mins).
Other requirements are AWD for winters (Midwest).

My budget is 20K and hoping find a good used option under 100k miles.

Is there something I should be concerned about the 2012-2015 Pilot models when inspecting a used one.
What sort of maintenance I should expect around 100k.

I am also looking at the 2nd/3rd gen highlanders and not sure how they compare to the Pilot. Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have owned our 2012 since new. Other than the VCM related ring recall that Honda covered, it has been very robust. I would bring any Pilot you are considering to a Honda dealer or shop for a PPI and I also would not buy any used car unless it has service records. Without those things, any used car is the proverbial pig in a poke and Honda is no exception. Pilot specific items are the aforementioned VCM related ring campaign, front control arm thrust bushings, shock absorber leakage, engine mounts, and that is about all that comes to mind. Plus check how fresh the tbelt is. Any of those items will show up on PPI.
If you get one, once you bring it home google S-VCM controller or VCM muzzler to disable the VCM and turn off cylinder deactivation so as to prevent any future ring issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have owned our 2012 since new. Other than the VCM related ring recall that Honda covered, it has been very robust. I would bring any Pilot you are considering to a Honda dealer or shop for a PPI and I also would not buy any used car unless it has service records. Without those things, any used car is the proverbial pig in a poke and Honda is no exception. Pilot specific items are the aforementioned VCM related ring campaign, front control arm thrust bushings, shock absorber leakage, engine mounts, and that is about all that comes to mind. Plus check how fresh the tbelt is. Any of those items will show up on PPI.
If you get one, once you bring it home google S-VCM controller or VCM muzzler to disable the VCM and turn off cylinder deactivation so as to prevent any future ring issues.
Thanks. Good to know that you haven't had any major issues. I know that I can look up service history using the VIN on toyota website (only if done by dealership). Do you think that's the case for Honda as well. My rational is that if somebody didnt even take their new car for essentially free/complimentary service for 36k miles then the car was probably neglected in other ways as well.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
If you're looking for a car with less than 100k miles, the timing belt won't have been done. So you'd be looking for regular oil changes, a few transmission fluid changes and if it has 4WD, rear differential fluid changes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For $20,000 you should be able to find something with pretty low milage. I am picking up my 2015 certified Pilot touring with 40,000 miles and paid $23,000 at the dealer tomorrow. Will actually be sad to see my 2004 go. It has been a great vehicle.

As far as the Highlander it was my first choice but much more expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Highlanders are not comparable to a Pilot, they do not have a useful 3rd row seat. The Highlander competes with the Sante Fe, CX-9, and other 3 rows with miniatures 3rd row seats.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you're looking for a car with less than 100k miles, the timing belt won't have been done. So you'd be looking for regular oil changes, a few transmission fluid changes and if it has 4WD, rear differential fluid changes.
My belt tensioner began to fail at 7/87k, so this isn't an absolute. First vehicle I have ever owned that required the belt service even remotely close to the manufacture due date.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
For $20,000 you should be able to find something with pretty low milage. I am picking up my 2015 certified Pilot touring with 40,000 miles and paid $23,000 at the dealer tomorrow. Will actually be sad to see my 2004 go. It has been a great vehicle.

As far as the Highlander it was my first choice but much more expensive for what you get.
Your 04 will outlast your 2015 ..trust me you will notice things once you start working on the 2015 . My 06 is coming up to 350k still going strong , My 2015 i'll be dreaming if i can get her to 200k . build quality for starters...

Reactions: im45us

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring. I purchased it with 78,000 miles, have had it for a little over a year now. I absolutely love it. The 3rd row is pretty useless unless u have smaller kids. They can fit back there easily, but I wouldn’t recommend putting any adults back there. I have a 3 year old and a labradoodle. The third row is always folded down and I have a gate that connects to the 2nd row seats. The towing is great and I love the 3 back up camera options (normal, top down, & wide). We tow our boat and camper a lot. The space is great as well. I would recommend looking into service records. Around 100k miles you’ll need to do the full maintenance. We have had issues with the alternator. Replaced it 4 times in 4 months but that was due to not realizing the engine valve gasket was leaking oil into the alternator destroying it. Other than that, we have had no other issues with the truck! Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I have a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring. I purchased it with 78,000 miles, have had it for a little over a year now. I absolutely love it. The 3rd row is pretty useless unless u have smaller kids. They can fit back there easily, but I wouldn’t recommend putting any adults back there. I have a 3 year old and a labradoodle. The third row is always folded down and I have a gate that connects to the 2nd row seats. The towing is great and I love the 3 back up camera options (normal, top down, & wide). We tow our boat and camper a lot. The space is great as well. I would recommend looking into service records. Around 100k miles you’ll need to do the full maintenance. We have had issues with the alternator. Replaced it 4 times in 4 months but that was due to not realizing the engine valve gasket was leaking oil into the alternator destroying it. Other than that, we have had no other issues with the truck! Good luck!!
I'm not sure what else you've looked at but outside of a Suburban or Expedition Max, the Pilot is very competitive for 3rd row space in an SUV. Our Traverse may be a touch bigger but the Pilot has handled an adult or two just fine for trips up to an hour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts