Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Looking to buy 2010 Honda Pilot need your advice!!!

936 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  longhairmike74
*UPDATE
Thanks you guys for the concerned raised here, Yes, so here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/5FNYF4H29AB037355, I bought the car report from this site which is really incase you guys interested: Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate, please have a look at the report, In my opinion the damage seems not serious. Give me your suggestion.

Hello guys
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2010 Honda Pilot or anything similar but I'm really interested in this one, unfortunately this car has salvage title and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything else I should be looking out for while doing my inspection day, and I will purchase the car report to see damage and other details.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $8,000 and it has 150172 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks
Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Car

Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,831 Posts
Do you have any info on why it was salvaged? Fire or water damage are a lot different than a collision.

@Nail Grease has experience working with salvage cars and may be able to offer some advice.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
Just for clarification, A salvage titled vehicle can not be driven on the highway legally. At some point, proof of repairs, inspections etc must be presented to change a salvage title to a rebuilt title. I’d confirm this.
Buying a vehicle with a rebuilt title isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The price should reflect that when purchasing. But just know that a lot of monkey business can and does go on with salvage vehicles. The mileage often is rolled back and can be put together with used parts from another vehicle. I’d want to know what was the reason for it being salvaged, accident, flood etc. What was the extent of the damage, inspect the work, check alignment, suspension, look for frame damage, rust. Who did the work? Professionals can make junk look beautiful with a nice paint job.
I’d want to know if the timing belt water pump job done at 105k. By whom and what parts were used.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any info on why it was salvaged? Fire or water damage are a lot different than a collision.

@Nail Grease has experience working with salvage cars and may be able to offer some advice.
Yes, the Owner there was a minor damage in the front end, I hope it's minor as the owner mentioned, I already bought the car report, I will share it with you guys, give me your thought.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for clarification, A salvage titled vehicle can not be driven on the highway legally. At some point, proof of repairs, inspections etc must be presented to change a salvage title to a rebuilt title. I’d confirm this.
Buying a vehicle with a rebuilt title isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The price should reflect that when purchasing. But just know that a lot of monkey business can and does go on with salvage vehicles. The mileage often is rolled back and can be put together with used parts from another vehicle. I’d want to know what was the reason for it being salvaged, accident, flood etc. What was the extent of the damage, inspect the work, check alignment, suspension, look for frame damage, rust. Who did the work? Professionals can make junk look beautiful with a nice paint job.
I’d want to know if the timing belt water pump job done at 105k. By whom and what parts were used.
Thank you, for the really helpful suggestion, I will need a mechanic to go inspect the car with, But I already got the car report I will share it you guys.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
213 Posts
Salvage titled vehicles are very difficult and in some cases not possible to get conventional insurance coverage. Be prepared to self insure.

Car report says front end damage and seller is saying “minor” front end damage, this could mean just about anything. The fact is an insurance adjuster made a determination that the vehicle was a “total” loss.

Car reports may have some useful vehicle history but are notoriously inaccurate and should not be relied upon. Get a professional to check the vehicle and let you know what the reality is with the condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts