Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

If you were gonna buy a 1st gen, which year would you aim for?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got an 04 Pilot with about 200k on it. I like buying around 100k and selling around 200k when there's still a lot of value left. My mechanic said the 1st generation are the most reliable compared to newer generations. He recommended waiting patiently for a 1st gen with low miles.

My research shows that there were changes within 2003-2008 in more than just trim/styling. Different engines and technology have some impact on fuel economy and possible maintenance issues.

Can anyone recommend for or against any of the 1st gen years?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
364 Posts
read here: Honda Pilot - Wikipedia

I am biased because I own an AWD version with the non-VCM 3.5L and its a fantastic running engine and the transmission shifts relatively smooth despite its age and only being a 5 speed. this would be the J35A9 which ran from 06 to 08 I believe until it was replaced in 09 by the J35Z4.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,691 Posts
Stick with 2006-2008. Not only do they look significantly better than 2003-2005 Pilots, they didn't have as many transmission issues. If you can find an AWD version that would be preferable since you won't have to worry about VCM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I agree on the body style improvements. It's tough to find one of these with low miles, but I feel like the value is much better than on the next generation and my hope is that they are the most reliable. Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yea, I agree on the body style improvements. It's tough to find one of these with low miles, but I feel like the value is much better than on the next generation and my hope is that they are the most reliable. Thanks
I purchased my 2008 with 172,000 miles. I've put 34,000 miles on since then and I have not had a single break down. The only money I've spent has been routine maintenance and a few cosmetic things that technically didn't need to be replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased my 2008 with 172,000 miles. I've put 34,000 miles on since then and I have not had a single break down. The only money I've spent has been routine maintenance and a few cosmetic things that technically didn't need to be replaced.
Thanks. Now I'm wondering if it's worth driving my 04 with 195k till it dies. Either that or patiently waiting for an 06-08 with closer to 100k and sell mine while it's still got value.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks. Now I'm wondering if it's worth driving my 04 with 195k till it dies. Either that or patiently waiting for an 06-08 with closer to 100k and sell mine while it's still got value.
It’s basically at 200k. I’m not sure how much value it’d lose over the next 4-5 years. If it’s not breaking it’s probably just about free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s basically at 200k. I’m not sure how much value it’d lose over the next 4-5 years. If it’s not breaking it’s probably just about free.
Emotionally, it might be worth more to someone at just under 200k rather than over 200. It also may be viewed more in search results if a user has filtered for under 200k. I figure I can get around $4k-5k for it now and buy an 08 for a little more than $8k.

If my 04 has any major problem, it would lose that value, but it they are driving to 300k then maybe it's worth holding onto.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Most of the first generation Pilots are old enough to require similar work/maintenance to keep them reliable like timing belt+related parts, water pump, radiator, trans drain+fill, preventative rust abatement etc. Just pick the newest version available with decent maintenance records rather than just the lowest price.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If you find really want to find one with under 100K miles expect to pay $8-10k. At that point I'd look at 2nd gen. They aren't unreliable and I don't think you lose anything.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Stick with 2006-2008. Not only do they look significantly better than 2003-2005 Pilots, they didn't have as many transmission issues. If you can find an AWD version that would be preferable since you won't have to worry about VCM.
I may be biased because that's what we have in the family, but that's exactly what I'd say, too.

If my 04 has any major problem, it would lose that value, but it they are driving to 300k then maybe it's worth holding onto.
Sometimes, better the devil you know than the devil you don't. If it's being well maintained and you know it, and isn't rusting away, you may not be able to sell it for more than it's worth to you to keep it.

If you do go shopping for another one, do yourself a favor and refer to this well put together checklist, which may or may not be in the apparently lengthy vetting process of being made a sticky. :)

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,193 Posts
Hey, I've got an 04 Pilot with about 200k on it. I like buying around 100k and selling around 200k when there's still a lot of value left. My mechanic said the 1st generation are the most reliable compared to newer generations. He recommended waiting patiently for a 1st gen with low miles.

My research shows that there were changes within 2003-2008 in more than just trim/styling. Different engines and technology have some impact on fuel economy and possible maintenance issues.

Thanks
There's still a lot of value at 200K? Wow.

I own a FWD Gen 1, 08, SE. Love it. It has 187K now.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem buying any 1st gen Pilot around 100k miles if it were rust free. Simply disable the VCM. I'm already proving a disabled VCM engine can go 256k+, and still going.

Reactions: noynek and The Todd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may be biased because that's what we have in the family, but that's exactly what I'd say, too.

Sometimes, better the devil you know than the devil you don't. If it's being well maintained and you know it, and isn't rusting away, you may not be able to sell it for more than it's worth to you to keep it.

If you do go shopping for another one, do yourself a favor and refer to this well put together checklist, which may or may not be in the apparently lengthy vetting process of being made a sticky. :)

Wow, that list is great, even for evaluating my existing pilot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a low mileage (108k) 2007 AWD. He's got great service records and actually replaced the timing belt at 45k. I asked why and he said honda recommends every 7 years of 100k and it was 7 years in when he bought it. I've never heard of needing to replace them before 100k, but anyway.

Only concern I have is that he used it to tow a small trailer with about 700 pounds periodically. The drive looks like an all highway drive between 1.5-2 hours long. He bought a transmission cooler (LPD4590) to protect the transmission during towing.

Does that seem like a concern?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.