Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

2012 Honda Pilot TOURING Model, family of 5, 2 adults 3 kiddos. Have never towed in my life, nor used a camper before. We have a 2 week vacation planned with nowhere to go since our original destination was cancelled due to COVID-19.

I've always had a bucket list item of traveling the road in an RV or at least a camper RV(one thats towed) so I started looking into that. Destination would be South Dakota, Badlands, Custer State Park, Black HIlls, ect, ect, so thats about 12hrs one way from me.

Found out that you can rent RV's but all the Class C(which google recommends for a 1st RV choice) are all taken for our dates. However there are some RV campers that are available but they are the kind that can be towed. I remembered that our Pilot being the Touring model had a towing package..

After several hours on the net researching I am now more confused than before and have even more questions than answers.

My only requirement for the RV is that it have a shower so we can bath and can sleep at least 4(2 adults, 2 kids). Anything else is game..

So what exact camper can I tow here with my Pilot?
What else would I need for towing? got lost here on the towing connections, light harness, ect, ect.

Anything else I should be aware of or should know, again this would be a 1st time tower,1st time trailer camper situation..

I welcome any and all input

Sean P

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
First thing if you haven't, start with page 536 of the owners manual. It will tell you exactly what you need to know as to the weight your vehicle can tow. Keep in mind the weight includes the weight of all passengers, their gear as well everything loaded into the camper. They have a nice little chart included.

If you have the towing package it should be set up. You will need a ball and hitch insert for the receiver. The ball needs to be the proper size for the trailer hitch.

Depending on the trailer weight you may need a brake controller installed. Most states require any trailer of 3000 lbs or more have trailer brakes. Some states require brakes on trailers of 2000 lbs or over.

Best bet Read the Manual then as the place where you are looking to rent any questions you may have. Also do not forget to get insurance. Either through your car insurance carrier or separate insurance. You don't want to have to pay for a trailer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing if you haven't, start with page 536 of the owners manual. It will tell you exactly what you need to know as to the weight your vehicle can tow. Keep in mind the weight includes the weight of all passengers, their gear as well everything loaded into the camper. They have a nice little chart included.

If you have the towing package it should be set up. You will need a ball and hitch insert for the receiver. The ball needs to be the proper size for the trailer hitch.

Depending on the trailer weight you may need a brake controller installed. Most states require any trailer of 3000 lbs or more have trailer brakes. Some states require brakes on trailers of 2000 lbs or over.

Best bet Read the Manual then as the place where you are looking to rent any questions you may have. Also do not forget to get insurance. Either through your car insurance carrier or separate insurance. You don't want to have to pay for a trailer.
Just wanted to say thanks for the reply and info, found it all a bit overwhelming, well maybe not that, I was just too pressed for time at that time. so just rented a cabin and called it a week or 2.

FUN TIMES< definitely can't wait to go back to the Smokie Mountains!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts