Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
There are several forum threads on the topic of rusted subframe cross member. It’s a big job and not to be taken lightly. One disconnected rusted mount will eventually result in failure of the other mounts.
It's just the nature of entropy that we're going to be seeing more and more oif this.

Since you got the budget for repairs there’s room in there for an affordable complete Walker exhaust system including the CAT(s). Price it out at RockAuto. Old exhaust work is messy but once everything is cut off and removed the new bolt-on Walker system is fairly simple.

Use only OEM Honda power steering fluid and a small amount of seal conditioner (possibly AT-205) to buy some time.
Yessir!
Font Electric blue Emoticon Symmetry Skyscraper

·
Registered
Home of the 301k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
13,753 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl and Hd413

·
Registered
Home of the 301k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
13,753 Posts
Hahaha I just went through my local craigslist. Holy crap things are really ridiculous. 2008 Acura rl with 180k for 4000...all it needs is a hesdgasket!!! I'm suuuure there's nothing else wrong with it
Lol, it’s a head gasket. No big deal. 😂🤣

Reactions: PHM and Hd413

·
Registered
22 Posts
Something imes
So i have an 06 pilot with 200k

Just did rear springs, a few calipers, front control arms and all steering linkages, valve adjustment last summer, an 02 sensor.

So there's sweat equity attachment

Just found out i need a new steering rack (1k) and probably a new cat or two.

Also need to find someone to weld the rear subframe disconnection issue common to older pilots.

Do you think i should put the money into these issues?

Or, should i maybe sell the car for 3k, and find something with less issues?
I love my pilot.
Sometimes I look at older suv and ask if it's upgradable. It might not be as pretty as new suv but it functions as an equal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This S UV doesn't burn a drop of oil and and runs like new as far as I can tell previous owno previous owner did differential fluid changes and all other fluid changes at specified intervals

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Went to my local welder they said the subframe bolt is an easy fix 500 bucks
Made an appointment for June.
I think I'll probably end up sticking with this who knows though.
Steering rack is still leaking I just pour fluid in it exhaust hasn't gotten any worse but it will explode someday.
The welding shop said behind the subframe on the frame that has nothing to do with safety, rot is really bad.
One of these days I'm going to go on craigslist and look for 5 speed civics which I could afford. Saw a v6 accord with failing headgasket and 251k mi for 4500. "Stumbles om acceleration". Not this honda. Peels your eyelids back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went to my local welder they said the subframe bolt is an easy fix 500 bucks
Made an appointment for June.
I think I'll probably end up sticking with this who knows though.
Steering rack is still leaking I just pour fluid in it exhaust hasn't gotten any worse but it will explode someday.
The welding shop said behind the subframe on the frame that has nothing to do with safety, rot is really bad.
One of these days I'm going to go on craigslist and look for 5 speed civics which I could afford. Saw a v6 accord with failing headgasket and 251k mi for 4500. "Stumbles om acceleration". Not this honda. Peels your eyelids back.
I only skimmed the posts so I apologize if it was mentioned but if your Pilot is 2wd It is a decent bit easier to change the steering rack. Also Nice to know is that it slides out the driver side wheel well. The Chiltons manual I bought had me trying to drop it out of the bottom of the vehicle at first which was a total PITA (I honestly didn't even see how this was possible without removing all the subframe structure. Ended up pulling it out the side after loosening some subframe bolts... Mine is AWD so the process was a bit more difficult with more stuff in the way.

The only slightly less common tool you should get for the job if you don't already is; flare nut wrenches or flare nut style crows feet for the fittings on the rack... these fittings hexes are made out of cheese and will round if you look at them the wrong way. I ended up using the later (crows foot style) because of access (wrenches too long).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I only skimmed the posts so I apologize if it was mentioned but if your Pilot is 2wd It is a decent bit easier to change the steering rack. Also Nice to know is that it slides out the driver side wheel well. The Chiltons manual I bought had me trying to drop it out of the bottom of the vehicle at first which was a total PITA (I honestly didn't even see how this was possible without removing all the subframe structure. Ended up pulling it out the side after loosening some subframe bolts... Mine is AWD so the process was a bit more difficult with more stuff in the way.

The only slightly less common tool you should get for the job if you don't already is; flare nut wrenches or flare nut style crows feet for the fittings on the rack... these fittings hexes are made out of cheese and will round if you look at them the wrong way. I ended up using the later (crows foot style) because of access (wrenches too long).
The last shop I went to the 2nd opinion one told me just to take out the rear set of sub frame bolts wiggle the subframe down a little bit and yeah you can get the rack out without dropping the whole sub frame.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just ordered a bottle. As of now I'm not doing anything haha I'm just gonna have the frame welded this month and keep driving it with my 800 pounds canoe on top all summer

·
Registered
105 Posts
So i have an 06 pilot with 200k

Just did rear springs, a few calipers, front control arms and all steering linkages, valve adjustment last summer, an 02 sensor.

So there's sweat equity attachment

Just found out i need a new steering rack (1k) and probably a new cat or two.

Also need to find someone to weld the rear subframe disconnection issue common to older pilots.

Do you think i should put the money into these issues?

Or, should i maybe sell the car for 3k, and find something with less issues?
I love my pilot.
Not sure where you live but I got a rebuilt steering rack from Denver steering and it works great and was cheep

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My rack is still leaking extremely slowly thanks to snake oil. I'm hoping it lasts for the remainder that I own the vehicle probably 2 years

·
Registered
12,666 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got a rebuilt rack for $160 from a local steering shop that's been there forever and it's been leak free! The cost of the fluid over two years would likely cost more than a rebuilt rack plus it would save the environment all that leaked fluid! However it's a pain to install.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts