Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,170 Posts
There’s always cat cleaning that could buy you some time. Lots of YouTube videos on this.
Are you sure you need a new steering rack? Old rubber return lines will begin to leak on a Pilot this age. The connection at the rack can make it look like you have big problems.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
This was a fairly respected local shop I took it to them and said can you fix his power steering leak they call me back and said bro you need a rack it's coming from the main seal of the rack and pinion.

Damn right tho, i DO need some second opinions!!!!
I DIY.
I’d clean cats.
I’d not replace the steering rack at this point if the vehicle is steering properly. I’d replace all the rubber return lines with better quality clamps. Use only OEM Honda power steering fluid and a small amount of seal conditioner (possibly AT-205) to buy some time.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Hahaha I just went through my local craigslist. Holy crap things are really ridiculous. 2008 Acura rl with 180k for 4000...all it needs is a hesdgasket!!! I'm suuuure there's nothing else wrong with it
Lol, it’s a head gasket. No big deal. 😂🤣

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
My rack and pinion started leaking about 3 months after I replaced the PS fluid (3x pump the reso and fill). The stuff was very brown. Now with the leak I suspect buddy had some stop leak added to it.

How much AT205 do we use in the PS?
Assuming that Genuine Honda PSF was used? Do you know where the leak is?

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
I wouldn’t begin to know how much of this stop leak product to use, and I’d only use it as a last resort. What my experience with power steering fluid leaks is it’s usually the return lines that begin to crack with age. Fluid runs down to the steering rack causing what is seen in your photo. You might examine closely around these clamps. Tightening them will only cause the hose to split more. It didn’t help that Honda used these old style wire clamps. My advice would be to replace the return lines and these wire clamps with better clamps.
Auto part Metal Wood Fashion accessory Natural material

Reactions: road2cycle
1 - 7 of 7 Posts