Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an 06 pilot with 200k

Just did rear springs, a few calipers, front control arms and all steering linkages, valve adjustment last summer, an 02 sensor.

So there's sweat equity attachment

Just found out i need a new steering rack (1k) and probably a new cat or two.

Also need to find someone to weld the rear subframe disconnection issue common to older pilots.

Do you think i should put the money into these issues?

Or, should i maybe sell the car for 3k, and find something with less issues?
I love my pilot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely inspect or have inspected the rear subframe cross member integrity before throwing money 馃挵 at the CAT and RACK
One of the sub frame mounting bolts pulled itself out of the frame that common thing where people spend money to have that part of the frame welded so that the sub frame has something to bolt onto.
Just one bolt. The others look pretty solid

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the thing randomly I have the money for everything I listed I just randomly got a chunk of extra change one time thing. I'm just twisted up overthinking... do I spend the money on this vehicle or hustle to get a different vehicle

Super Moderator
There are several forum threads on the topic of rusted subframe cross member. It鈥檚 a big job and not to be taken lightly. One disconnected rusted mount will eventually result in failure of the other mounts.

Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
There鈥檚 always cat cleaning that could buy you some time. Lots of YouTube videos on this.
Are you sure you need a new steering rack? Old rubber return lines will begin to leak on a Pilot this age. The connection at the rack can make it look like you have big problems.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've gone through the subframe repair threads My project for tomorrow is to hunt around for someone who would be willing to do it and get an estimate

Cat is rotting out at the flanges

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really seeking cost benefit analysis advice.

My friend who was an accountant for 14 years I ran it by her hahaha.

I'm looking at in a rough estimate 2500 between the steering rack and the subframe Weld job. Putting off the exhaust leak.

I have an extra 2500 lying around which is really really weird

I could probably sell this car for 2000 then sum total have 4500 to spend on a car.

I'm going to look around on craigslist but I don't think I could get anything in much better condition than this for 4500 maybe a older hyundai or a Toyota yaris... Which would be pretty sweet if it was a 5 speed in my opinion.

Also after spending that money I would be pretty darn broke and that $4500 car would probably have tons of little problems needing cash...

If I can find someone to do the weld job who seems competent I think I'm gonna end up sticking with this old sexy rust bucket

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There鈥檚 always cat cleaning that could buy you some time. Lots of YouTube videos on this.
Are you sure you need a new steering rack? Old rubber return lines will begin to leak on a Pilot this age. The connection at the rack can make it look like you have big problems.
This was a fairly respected local shop I took it to them and said can you fix his power steering leak they call me back and said bro you need a rack it's coming from the main seal of the rack and pinion.

Damn right tho, i DO need some second opinions!!!!

Registered
Like you say, even after sinking $4500 in rust and cats, this car is gonna come back for more. IMO, if you can find another decent set of wheels in your price range, move on from this Pilot.

Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
It鈥檚 thought right now because the car market is so messed up. Usually I鈥檓 not a fan of sinking tons of money into an old car, but I doubt you鈥檇 be able to get anything very affordable if you were to replace your Pilot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm banking on engine and tranny and rear diff being a non-lemony

Needs 2 calipers and struts and rear shocks.
I've diy'd 2 calipers control arms all 4 wheel bearings steering linkage valves adjusted, rear springs, parking brake shoes. would do timing belt/water pump this summer.

Exhaust, I'm terrible at.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good advice. Last time I tried exhaust was on a Volvo 240. Tried to get the donut thing to be quiet 37 times tightening loosening and tightening loosening finally paid a shop to do it.

Then the other time I had to get the manifold off to maneuver parts and I sheared off 3 out of 8 exhaust manifold bolts.

That was 10 years ago though so maybe time to get back on the horse

Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
This was a fairly respected local shop I took it to them and said can you fix his power steering leak they call me back and said bro you need a rack it's coming from the main seal of the rack and pinion.

Damn right tho, i DO need some second opinions!!!!
I DIY.
I鈥檇 clean cats.
I鈥檇 not replace the steering rack at this point if the vehicle is steering properly. I鈥檇 replace all the rubber return lines with better quality clamps. Use only OEM Honda power steering fluid and a small amount of seal conditioner (possibly AT-205) to buy some time.

Registered
2006 EX-L, RES
I've done one steering rack, on an old Integra. I won't say it wasn't a bit daunting, but got it done, maybe 4 hours for a newbie. Not saying that would compare to a Pilot, but seems you know which end of the wrench to hold, so maybe worth a think, if you can find a good online tutorial. Best of luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm looking for a place locally to buy AT205 to buy a little time. I've only been using Honda power steering fluid but I just bought some generic because it's leaking so fast and the Honda stuff is so spendy. $9. Every other day.
I will get a 2nd opinion asap on the leak.
Have to drop the front subframe to get the rack out- I'm not equipped for that. Maybe it could be done with just My big air impact and hydraulic jack?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My shop said the exhaust will hold for a bit
It鈥檚 thought right now because the car market is so messed up. Usually I鈥檓 not a fan of sinking tons of money into an old car, but I doubt you鈥檇 be able to get anything very affordable if you were to replace your Pilot.
This is more or less where my heads at.
I hate the idea of sinking $2500 into a 2006 manufactured vehicle

1 - 20 of 50 Posts