Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new here and I've been reading about everyone's difficulties with Honda's VCM. I have a 2013 Pilot with 63,000 miles, misfiring with P0303 DTC, and the #3 plug is soaked with oil. I purchased it June 22, 2013. It is my understanding the the warranty was extended to 8 years/100,000 miles for piston rings. Both the dealer and Honda customer service said that my VIN# was not included in that extended warranty and the dealer wants $3K+ for a ring job. I thought all of the 2013 Pilots were covered under the settlement. Is there something that I am missing?

Based on what I've read here, it seems that a VCM disabling device may help, but I feel like Honda should be replacing the piston rings.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Hi all! I'm new here and I've been reading about everyone's difficulties with Honda's VCM. I have a 2013 Pilot with 63,000 miles, misfiring with P0303 DTC, and the #3 plug is soaked with oil. I purchased it June 22, 2013. It is my understanding the the warranty was extended to 8 years/100,000 miles for piston rings. Both the dealer and Honda customer service said that my VIN# was not included in that extended warranty and the dealer wants $3K+ for a ring job. I thought all of the 2013 Pilots were covered under the settlement. Is there something that I am missing?

Based on what I've read here, it seems that a VCM disabling device may help, but I feel like Honda should be replacing the piston rings.
I wouldn't feel I was loosing anything by not getting a ring job. In fact, I don't want anyone tearing into my engine. They have to mess with your timing belt and I don't want my tensioner touched.
Many many success stories with VCM disabling devices. I prefer my engine to run on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. I use S-VCM. I can remember the days when if you had a cylinder not firing, we called that a dead cylinder. It was not a good thing, it was bad. Not much has changed. It's still bad. It still causes fouled plugs, dirty valves, stuck rings etc. S-VCM cost me $95. If I owned another Honda V6, I'd buy another. Helps keep all my cylinders clean and spark plugs dry.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
119 Posts

You probably already know this but this issue should be resolved by dealer under service bulletin Tsb-13-082.

Not sure why your vin would not be covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You probably already know this but this issue should be resolved by dealer under service bulletin Tsb-13-082.

Not sure why your vin would not be covered.
Yes, I knew about the TSB and I brought that up to both the dealer and CS, but they insist that it doesn’t apply to my Pilot. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time or inside knowledge to fight Honda.

I’m going to try either the S-VCM or the VCM Tuner 2, whichever one I can get the fastest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts