Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used Pilot and want 2016 or newer. Are there any obvious pitfalls I should avoid? I've got a couple that I'm looking at that are actually the Touring model but I'm a little worried about the 9 speed transmission issues? Have they been recalled/fixed or are they really a small portion of the market? Am I safer just sticking to the non-touring models?

Any other things I need to keep an eye out for?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
The 9-speed transmission was revised for 2019.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I'm in the market for a used Pilot and want 2016 or newer. Are there any obvious pitfalls I should avoid? I've got a couple that I'm looking at that are actually the Touring model but I'm a little worried about the 9 speed transmission issues? Have they been recalled/fixed or are they really a small portion of the market? Am I safer just sticking to the non-touring models?

I own a ‘16 XLE with an extended warranty for 110 miles / 8 years. I have already had two claims that have paid for it. Recently it was the emission system based repairs that added up over $1700, and a key fob push button mechanism replacement for $400.

From what I have read, Avoid the speed transmissions on the Touring and Elites on 16-18. Stay with 6 speed.

Recommend in both those years to avoid sensor packages..lane assist etc that we’re not standard and just make the vehicles harder to fix more costly to repair.

Lastly, avoid 16-17 if you want CarPlay/Android Auto. Infotainment systems are not good. I think they finally added it in 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm Okay thanks for the replies! Guess I should say I probably can't afford the 2019 models right now so looking at mostly 2016 and 2017 right now. So that is kind of disappointing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I own a ‘16 XLE with an extended warranty for 110 miles / 8 years. I have already had two claims that have paid for it. Recently it was the emission system based repairs that added up over $1700, and a key fob push button mechanism replacement for $400.
This is what one dealership offers with some of their used cars... do you think anything you experienced would be covered?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a used 2016 EX, it's 29,000 miles but DO NOT go for it.

1. No HDMI input, that will make you cry. The Bluetooth connection is for voice/music only.
2. Transmission issue. I'd send mine to the service already, it jerks.

If you really love Pilot, go 2017 or higher. Before you go, check it out...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2016 EX and am still running strong at 70K miles. Bought it as a CPO 2.5 years ago. I don't have any issues with the transmission, and even if I did I still have an ext warranty for 100k or 7 years.

Regardless 6 speed transmission on these things are very reliable. I cant say for everyone like the one above me but its been good and have many even in the FB Pilot forums that have had no issues.

The HDMI issue is not that big of a deal, I dont see a big demand for it. All though I would say the infotainment system on the 2017 and up is much better, quicker to respond and resolves more issues that some have said the 2016s have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 17 touring with the 9 speed. probably 60k on it and no issues with the transmission (or anything else really).
Thanks for the input. I’m probably overthinking it. It’s probably like most things and it’s random and luck more than anything else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a brand new 2018 Touring Canadian model 5 weeks ago. It has the 9 speed ZF transmission, so I opted to get the transmission cooler and the Honda Corporate 7 year extended warranty just to play it safe. Do not get the Dealer aftermarket extended warranty under any circumstance - they are riddled with loopholes, and you will be refused for all claims.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a 2017 Pilot EX FWD with 25k miles, no problems with 6 speed transmission, cruises well with 8 full size adults great gas mileage for an suv. Apple car play is excellent but you cant use aftermarket cable to connect use your original apple cable. Plus for me I tow mine behind an RV, it’s really lite to tow with a dolly. I’ve always been a honda lover for life reliable because all my Honda’s I’ve owned run for 100k plus miles with no major problems. Honda 4ever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don here. I own a 2017 Pilot w/ 9 gear trans. and would not buy again. Trans shifts into D4 while driving. Have to stop car, turn off system and restart. Have only about 22,000 miles. You want to buy mine?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Don here. I own a 2017 Pilot w/ 9 gear trans. and would not buy again. Trans shifts into D4 while driving. Have to stop car, turn off system and restart. Have only about 22,000 miles. You want to buy mine?
I took it to the Honda dealer, he wanted an inspection fee (140) upfront to determine the cause.
That makes zero sense. With 22K miles you are still under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would find another dealership. This dealer is clearly ripping you. My 2017 has 25,000 miles and is performing perfectly. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts