Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap paint touch up pen / brush for my cherry colored 08 pilot. Hoping to improve some of the rock chips on the front and nicks and tings around the vehicle. Anyone have a link to anything decently priced?

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can suggest RockAuto for ease.

5% discount

EDIT: I now notice there are two types of red. If you need to lookup your paint code, it's on the info sticker on the driver side door well. I circled the code in RED.
I used hdpaintcode.com to look it up Honda

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't think the job is worth doing with cheap paint. The good stuff is expensive for a reason. In my experience as a DIY amateur, basic pro-grade paint is a bargain for the improvement you get in results.

Any auto paint supplier can match your color with a single-stage, 2 part paint. Apply etching primer then color with some micro-applicators. Some easy wet sanding on the color will give you repairs that are invisible from 3 feet.

Have you considered a detail job instead? If your clear coat is in good shape, Honda paint will clean up surprisingly well.

@Depleted Islet does this stuff for a living - his opinion would be valuable.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
347 Posts
Honestly, brush touch pens will match fairly close most of the time. Keep in mind that there is no clearcoat overtop of them, so there will be a shine difference as basecoat is not reflective. Also, the UV rays from the sun will quickly burn the pigments out of the colors because clearcoat is what protects the pigments. I understand that you want it to look better, but within a month they will look just as bad if not worse than before. If I were you, I’d either have really low expectations for rock chip repairs with a brush touch pen, or save some money and get a shop to repair and repaint the areas you want fixed. Just my 2 cents! But @Krayziefoo is correct with the paint code location. Some of them are a little bit different as far as the tag goes but Honda codes usually start with an “NH”. My red pilot is NH505Q I believe.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
On a related topic... looking to find Aberdeen Green Metallic touch-up paint for my daughter's 2007 Pilot, which doesn't seem to be listed.

Any good, reasonably priced source?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
347 Posts
On a related topic... looking to find Aberdeen Green Metallic touch-up paint for my daughter's 2007 Pilot, which doesn't seem to be listed.

looks like this eBay shop has factory colors. No idea of how the quality is, but for $13, it’s worth a try!

·
Registered
142 Posts

I'm told some Lordco's are able to exact match paint codes and mix a spray bomb or something. Worth a call if you have one in your area.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

looks like this eBay shop has factory colors. No idea of how the quality is, but for $13, it’s worth a try!
They actually do have Aberdeen Green Metallic. But then I see they ship from SOL. :(

I'm told some Lordco's are able to exact match paint codes and mix a spray bomb or something. Worth a call if you have one in your area.
Cool, and I'll get to visit the Rockies, too. :)

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
I'm looking for a cheap paint touch up pen / brush for my cherry colored 08 pilot. Hoping to improve some of the rock chips on the front and nicks and tings around the vehicle. Anyone have a link to anything decently priced?

Thanks
In case you need a little how-to for good results from a paint pen, here's a good resource:

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
Larry Kosilla is a paint master. This article and embedded video will show you how to do it like the pros and get pro results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts