Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is looking to lease a new Pilot in NJ. Does anyone have any input on this task? Any Dealer that I should stay away from? Any good tips would be appreciated.
I spoke with one Dealer today and he said that the 04' are out but he wouldn't get any info on them until next week. He also said the price would be around $300 more that the 03' and the deal should be around the same as far as the payments goes. So if this is true, she should stick w/ the 04's.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
What part of Jersey is she in?

I visited Burns Honda recently and their price for EX-L with NAV was $500 below msrp. I inquired about the 04 and they left me a message two days ago regarding the changes and pricing. The sales person left me a message that he could get me the 04 for the 03 msrp. I am sure you can negotiate a little more on the 03.

·
Registered
305 Posts
well i could have sworn I've posted about these before, but now I can't find it. oh well. here is my rundown:

places to avoid:
Princeton
David Michael
VIP Honda
Bob Ciasulli

places to try:
Coast HOnda (where we bought ours for about $1100 under)
Turnersville Honda (sent us an email reply for $1K off)
and there was another in NY that emailed us with $1K off.... I think Hillside?

Coast was great to deal with. I have had others go there based on my review and didn't get the deal I did, so YMMV. If you contact them, try to deal with Patti. she says I'll even get $50 for a referral. :D
name is Brosen, by the by... :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
If she's in southern New Jersey, I highly recommend Bill Milliken at Honda of Turnersville (856 728-2700). He's the best salesman I've ever talked with. No hype, no hard sell. Got me exactly what I wanted.

I don't know about prices - I bought my Pilot last October at list which was the best deal at the time. Some dealers back then had markups.

MarkB

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is in East Brunswick, central Jersey. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
62 Posts
East Brunswick

My wife is from E. Brunswick. I bought ours from Staten Island Honda. Izzy gave us a good deal about a year ago. I would stay away from Open Road. They wanted 2500 above msrp for anything on the lot and 4000 for anything they had to order...at least they did last September.

We tried Academy on Rt 9, but they never gave us the price. They just started the paper work, and I left there real quick.

There is another dealer on RT 22 W off exit 14 on rt 287, but I did not try there since Izzy was giving us the best deal at the time (about 600 below MSRP after some of the extras they threw in). My wife is going back to buy a 2004 accord when they are out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can also ask her to try Kay Honda at Eatontown. Sales Rep Earl Averell was a cool guy to deal with (No commission here - :mad: )and we got ours @ MSRP last Sep with some add-ons thrown in !

Academy Honda (also of the same group as Kay Honda) is also a nice place (I take my cars for service there) but at that time they were quoting 1000 above MSRP !

But, wherever your sister buys from, ask her TO STAY AWAY FROM ACADEMY HONDA ! They're outright obnoxious !

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
desipilot said:
Academy Honda ... is also a nice place ... But ... STAY AWAY FROM ACADEMY HONDA ! They're outright obnoxious !
???

I also didn't like Academy Honda. Made a deposit on the phone, and then got shifted to 3 different subsequent reps who didn't call back. Eventually verified that I was initially misinformed about dealer installed RES and learned that they were actually planning on charging me $900 over factory version. Good bye.

I'm in Princeton and agree that they're not great. Salesman couldn't do anyghing on price but Internet sales manager said he'd respond and would consider matching price if I sent him a copy of my better offers but then he never responded.

Clinton Honda can't do much on price.

·
Registered
138 Posts
desipilot said:
You can also ask her to try Kay Honda at Eatontown.
But, wherever your sister buys from, ask her TO STAY AWAY FROM ACADEMY HONDA ! They're outright obnoxious !
I'm sorry ... I was referring to Open Road Honda !

I never bought from Academy Honda but that's where I take my Hondas for service and they seem to be Okay !

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
BMWRT said:
My sister is looking to lease a new Pilot in NJ. Does anyone have any input on this task? Any Dealer that I should stay away from? Any good tips would be appreciated.
I spoke with one Dealer today and he said that the 04' are out but he wouldn't get any info on them until next week. He also said the price would be around $300 more that the 03' and the deal should be around the same as far as the payments goes. So if this is true, she should stick w/ the 04's.
Thanks
As far as I'm concerned, the main advantage of the '04s is the adjustable second row seats, but others are also excited about the heated seats in the EXL models. No dramatic changes.

I haven't found any good prices on '04s in New Jersey but I have in Pennsylvania and Ohio, if you're sister is willing to travel (not sure if that makes sense on a lease).

'04 MSRP is $350 more on the EXL models.

·
Registered
88 Posts
robrecht pls check your PM...thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may be far for you but I bought mine at Burns Honda down by Marlton. They gave me $1000 off an EX-L with no required accessories and pinstriping charge crap, which was the best I could do at that time without driving 200 miles away. Academy Honda just laughed when I asked them if they would knock off anything from the msrp, they wouldn't even sell AT msrp! Princeton Honda was they same way, laughing at the very thought of a discount. Paramus Honda was willing to sell at MSRP, but only if you buy 1500 bucks worth of add-ons.... Sigh, this was one of the hardest and most difficult car-buying experiences I've ever had. The looks of disgust/annoyance/laughter that I got from those salesman is forever ingrained in my memory and guess who I'm not buying my next car from! This is what you get when you buy such a hot auto. But after 8 months of ownership, all that research and hardship was well worth it. The Pilot is the best vehicle I ever owned and my wife and I always argue on who gets to use it. Hmm, maybe I'll just buy a 2004.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i agree this was the toughest time I've ever had buying a vehicle. I've never had to contact so many dealers to find the right one.

FWIW, I didn't like Kay. They first agreed to my offer of $30K flat ($980 off sticker), but then turned around and said I'd HAVE to pay $450 for wheel locks, rear mudguards, and cargo tray (so we're talking $450 for $150 of parts that take about a half hour to install altogether). I actually agreed to it just to be done with it, but then they proceeded to offer me $2K less on my trade than anyone else had offered!! Needless to say, I walked. Then they had the audacity to contact us and ask us to please call them when we got a deal from someone else. Being the idiot that I am, I did call them after getting our offer from Coast Honda. They asked us to come in because they could match that and give us better financing. When we got there, they admitted they couldn't. THEN, the proceeded to call Coast HOnda and actually ***** at them for giving us such a good deal!!!! All I can say is WHAT SCUMBAGS!! Sorry to those that like Kay, but I just had to share that story.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Willis Honda

I bought mine from Willis Honda. I was able to lower the price using competitive interest rates from an on-line broker so I got the Pilot for $500 under MSRP... ...however, I didn't get a break on my accessories. The sales manager was very accommodating. I think his name was Terry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you are in the Union/Essex County areas, avoice Planet Honda at all costs. I tried buying the Pilot there. They discuss a deal and then they have to "talk to the manager" at which point the price goes up $4k.

Go to Route 22 Honda. You will not be disappointed. Ask for Walter. Good service area as well.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
bielen said:
If you are in the Union/Essex County areas, avoice Planet Honda at all costs. I tried buying the Pilot there. They discuss a deal and then they have to "talk to the manager" at which point the price goes up $4k.

Go to Route 22 Honda. You will not be disappointed. Ask for Walter. Good service area as well.
There's a Honda dealership in Bridgewater on Rt 22 West with the creepiest salesmen I have ever met! At first I was a little reluctant to buy a car over Internet/email/phone but now I wouldn't do it any other way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Route 22 Honda is in Hillside near the beginning of Route 22. Planet Honda is in Union. I also had a runaround with VIP Honda which I believe is in Plainfield. I'm not familiar with the dealership in Bridgewater.

It should would be nice if all dealers. played fair :3:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just talked w/ my sister and sounds like she just ordered a 04 from Coast Honda as a recommendation from another person on this forum. She seems to be very happy w/ the outcome. They cote her less than the local dealers for a 03. Will see...
Thanks for all the inputs!

·
Registered
305 Posts
good job. Coast is great.

We just went back there yesterday for a service and to see about a CRV for my sister. The CRV offer was very good but inventory was nonexistent. The offer was for a possible exchange with another dealer in a couple of months. My sis didn't want to wait. Oh well. So she went to Kay (yuk!) and told them the offer and they came within $2 a month of that for one they had on the lot, so she took it. Not bad, but now I don't get the $50 referral fee from Coast. :(

Oh, and I'm not sure I'm liking the service department at Coast. They charged us $20 for the tire rotation on top of the $24 for oil change. And the service manager tried pushing the VTM-4 change on my wife while I was out on the sales floor. Luckily she came and checked with me and I went back to explain that its only on the severe schedule it should be changed now and we don't even come close to the description of severe. If i wasn't there, he definitely would have convinced her she needed it now. That worries me because I might not always be there with her.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Call Patti and ask for your referrel bonus. I did give her your name.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts