Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that you all have me paranoid about transmission overheating and engine overheating gone wild under the cloak of VCM disablers, I'm starting to get interested in ways to monitor these things realtime in a way better than Honda thinks we idiots deserve to know.

I recently got a ScanGuage, and it's ok I guess, although there's two things I am not too fond about. One, it's uglier than a cheap1980's calculator. And two, there's no "history" function, so if your eyes aren't glued to it instead of the road, you'll miss changes that could be critical.

So, what do you gearheads here think I should get? I don't want a SnapOn scanner costing the GNP of a small country. I would like something that graphs realtime data and stores it so I can go back and review it when I'm not driving. I have enough unused iPads and iPhones from upgrades, I'd like to use one as a dedicated screen in a nice windshield or dash holder Bluetooth'd to an OBD dongle.

For starters it has to be able to read transmission fluid temp, oil temp, and coolant temp although preferably not ECT1 since that's VCMuzzled. Something I can send PIDs with for down the road when I'm smart enough to know what to ask for and how.

OK, have fun spending my daughter's inheritance.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I don't believe Honda reports either engine oil temp or pressure. FWIW, the ScanGauge will remember/display the 4 readings (you have selected) from the last engine run cycle by pushing the button in the red circle before the next engine start. Not exactly history but better than nothing.🤷‍♂️ It does not give a wake-up call/notice.....not aware of a device that does.

At the moment I'm monitoring/displaying TFT, CT1, VCM (on/off) and GER.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'm familiar with the ScanGauge step through mode, but it's too tedious and ancient. I guess since the advent of screens with more than 48 pixels, I've gotten used to graphs and GUIs.

GER?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Keep us posted as to what you find. After 15 years of use, It's hard for me to break the old school realtime info habit. I also like being able to move it to another vehicle in a second.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I have a BT module that plugs into the OBD port, and use the full (not "lite") version of the Torque Pro app running on a Samsung tablet under Android. It allows you to gather and export run data in a CSV format, as well as for display in the app itself. Mine uses the tablet GPS to add map data including elevation and speed to the dataset. You can very easily build a custom gauge display with your target parameters in several formats if you want to have at-a-glance indications in real-time.

The module itself was quite inexpensive on Amazon, and the software app is cheap in the big picture. You can do most of the things that a hand-held scan tool will do, like resetting soft alarms and reading trouble codes. Some of the very detailed SRS and ABS functions still need a "real tool", but for monitoring and logging run parameters it works great.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a BT module that plugs into the OBD port, and use the full (not "lite") version of the Torque Pro app running on a Samsung tablet under Android. It allows you to gather and export run data in a CSV format, as well as for display in the app itself. Mine uses the tablet GPS to add map data including elevation and speed to the dataset. You can very easily build a custom gauge display with your target parameters in several formats if you want to have at-a-glance indications in real-time.

The module itself was quite inexpensive on Amazon, and the software app is cheap in the big picture. You can do most of the things that a hand-held scan tool will do, like resetting soft alarms and reading trouble codes. Some of the very detailed SRS and ABS functions still need a "real tool", but for monitoring and logging run parameters it works great.
Sounds good. Will it work with an iPad?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The BT modules are a bit finicky with Apple vs Android. There's background but the bottom line is to make sure the module you get is Apple/IOS compatible for your iPad.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The BT modules are a bit finicky with Apple vs Android. There's background but the bottom line is to make sure the module you get is Apple/IOS compatible for your iPad.
Thanks, I looked in the Apple Apps store for Torque Pro on my iPad and some apps came up with the name "Torque" in them (OBD Torque, Torque OBD, Torque App OBD2 - by Fantastic Software?) ... none looked like the Ian Hawkins one I've researched online.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Foxwell NT301. Haven't really used it too much. I originally got to pull codes for the flashing D in my old 06 Pilot. I think it was around $60 on Amazon.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Foxwell ... I looked it up and it appears to be hardwired to the OBD connector. Looks like a good unit for the price but I'm hoping for something that will graph data in realtime wirelessly to my iPad or iPhone along with custom gauges (in addition to pulling/clearing codes, etc).

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have an Autel AP200 for use on our Pilot; about $60 + $20 if you buy the Honda specific module, which you will probably need to access trans temp. The OBDLink MX+ ($100) is also solid, has much better data logging and graphing features, and provides access to OEM specific PID's to a large list of brands and models.

All BT scan tools are going to have somewhat slow PID read rates; usually less than 40 PIDs/sec. That's plenty fast to monitor most things, including coolant and trans temp.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an Autel AP200 for use on our Pilot; about $60 + $20 if you buy the Honda specific module, which you will probably need to access trans temp. The OBDLink MX+ ($100) is also solid, has much better data logging and graphing features, and provides access to OEM specific PID's to a large list of brands and models.

All BT scan tools are going to have somewhat slow PID read rates; usually less than 40 PIDs/sec. That's plenty fast to monitor most things, including coolant and trans temp.
Thanks, both look good although the OBDLink seems to have better support (as well as a forum). Looking around over there I don't see enhance OEM live data support for the Pilot. I've left a inquiry in the forum but still waiting on an answer.

Have you seen realtime trans temp on your Autel? From what I an tell, they supply one free specific module with the base unit. The fact it only pairs with one device is disappointing. I'd like to be able to use an iPad as a diagnostics screen and use an iPhone as a permanently mounted fulltime headsup monitoring tool.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've always used my Android phone with the AP200. Knowing how it pairs with the scan tool (QR code on the side of it), I don't see why it wouldn't pair with several host devices as long as you are logged in using the same Autel account. Never tried, and may not, risking bricking it on my phone in case the experiment fails.

And you are correct about AP200; I looked at my Amazon invoice and it confirmed $55, which included ONE OEM module. Honda in my case. The expiration date shows the lemniscate (infinity symbol). The AP200 is still plugged into the Pilot, and I just verified that both trans temp sensor voltage and temp in C or F is accessible in the Honda module, as are many dozens of other sensors and derived auto trans data. The AP200 app features both a line graph and a gauge type display you could keep up while driving. It does not have a log feature--that I've discovered-- to select say 4 or 5 PID's, capture them for a drive cycle and review the data at a later time.

A year ago, I passed on the MX+ because it was unclear which brands/models it provided OEM live PID data. I was told last Fall by someone that Honda was supported, which I took to mean OEM live data as well. I just found a page on the MX+ website, where it appears it can NOT access Honda OEM live data, but does show Honda specific DTC's, which won't be helpful to your desire to see trans oil temperature. Will be curious to hear what their tech support says.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, the Foxwell has the OBD plug hardwired to the unit. I just toss it into one of the door panels or route the cord over the steering column if I have a passenger that's going to run the unit.

Used it when I picked up the kiddo from school. Looked at the results when I got home and it had the ECT 1 temp at 354°F. 😳 Then I realized I had never run any updates on the software. It was running v2.2. Just finished updating it to v2.35, I'll check it out again tomorrow.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,860 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've always used my Android phone with the AP200. Knowing how it pairs with the scan tool (QR code on the side of it), I don't see why it wouldn't pair with several host devices as long as you are logged in using the same Autel account. Never tried, and may not, risking bricking it on my phone in case the experiment fails.

And you are correct about AP200; I looked at my Amazon invoice and it confirmed $55, which included ONE OEM module. Honda in my case. The expiration date shows the lemniscate (infinity symbol). The AP200 is still plugged into the Pilot, and I just verified that both trans temp sensor voltage and temp in C or F is accessible in the Honda module, as are many dozens of other sensors and derived auto trans data. The AP200 app features both a line graph and a gauge type display you could keep up while driving. It does not have a log feature--that I've discovered-- to select say 4 or 5 PID's, capture them for a drive cycle and review the data at a later time.

A year ago, I passed on the MX+ because it was unclear which brands/models it provided OEM live PID data. I was told last Fall by someone that Honda was supported, which I took to mean OEM live data as well. I just found a page on the MX+ website, where it appears it can NOT access Honda OEM live data, but does show Honda specific DTC's, which won't be helpful to your desire to see trans oil temperature. Will be curious to hear what their tech support says.
Reading the user reviews on the AP200, the two most frequent cons are only pairs with one device and the extra subscriptions only last a year until they need to be renewed. Haven't seen one complaint about either device or dongle getting bricked trying. I imagine it reads the MAC on the device and if it doesn't match the original pairing, it just says, "no" and doesn't take any punitive action for just trying. That would be a PR nightmare.

I see both Autel AP200 and Autel Maxi AP200 units for sale. Know what the difference is? The Maxi is less money.

I still haven't seen an answer to my question on the MX+ forum but it doesn't appear that enhanced OEM live data streams for Hondas is supported, although as you say enhanced Honda DTC codes are. Maybe a future software upgrade.

I saw an ad for a Honda HDS HIM (like the dealers use?) for $119. But between it coming from China and sold on eBay .... I chickened out. I'm guessing the software is pirated and wouldn't be updated like the dealers' is.
For Honda HDS HIM Diagnostic Tool with Double Board for Honda Diagnostic Scanner | eBay

I'm pulling the trigger on the Autel once I'm done here. Thanks for your help.

EDIT ... I love Amazon Prime ... a discount plus it will be here today! I was never asked which car I wanted the specialized sw module for, so I'm guessing it's something you download after you get it?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I saw a Foxwell NT520 with Honda add-on for $50. No OBDII connector cable, I guess he lost it. I'm researching what it will do. They run about a buck and a half on eBay plus you still have to pay $60 for the Honda sw. Replacement cable is $26.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the Foxwell has the OBD plug hardwired to the unit. I just toss it into one of the door panels or route the cord over the steering column if I have a passenger that's going to run the unit.

Used it when I picked up the kiddo from school. Looked at the results when I got home and it had the ECT 1 temp at 354°F. 😳 Then I realized I had never run any updates on the software. It was running v2.2. Just finished updating it to v2.35, I'll check it out again tomorrow.
354°F?? Seems a little warm.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.