Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the clutch plate has broke.Center plate rubber has came apart and plate moves.
There is no fixing it. I needed to purchase another so I could quickly get back on the road.
Where to get a new ac clutch kit for my 2015 honda pilot ?
I see hexautoparts has 2008-2015 Honda Odyssey Pilot Ridgeline AC Compressor Clutch Kits for sale,seems great prices compared to places like AutoZone.
Have you heard this brand before and any shopping experience ?
Or other recommendation?
Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Any junk yards or equivalent in your area?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
considering the AC is used for everything ...its better just to purchase new

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
By the time I was looking at a clutch replacement, and while wondering why it needed one, I'd be shopping for a whole new compressor. A crashed clutch risks or may be the result of a failed clutch bearing and the front crank bearing and shaft seal in the housing. Look hard to see of the compressor froze up or has any debris in the ports, signs that the issue may be bigger than just a replacement clutch. AC Compressor clutches don't just fail on their own for no reason.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Curious/related --

I usually turn the AC off during the not-warm season here. I do run it once a month or so to keep the shaft seal wet, but otherwise it's off. In the cold weather, the system pressures are low enough that the compressor is cycling constantly on low-side freeze protection. The car sits in a climate-controlled (55-60ºF) garage, so no need for initial defrost/defogging help from the AC system. Anybody else leave the AC off this way? It seems like it should save a ton of cycling wear on the clutch.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you use the defrost setting at all during the colder months, then your AC compressor is cycling. Defrost will automatically cycle the compressor.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'll risk that, and in fact think it's a good idea. Compressor stays off unless I select defrost, pretty much what we have in mind.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
on the stupid 2015 series it engages the AC if you click auto even though you have the heat on and it's -20 outside

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I lived in a drier climate I would turn off the AC. Here in Maryland the humidity is an issue 6 months of the year. The car is in a climate controlled garage, but once you start driving in damp or rainy weather with several people, you need the drying effect of AC or the windows fog. AC overhaul is a small price to pay for an excellent HVAC system that prevents those issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of the best pieces of advice I ever received regarding inside climate was from the salesman who sold me an '86 Accord with those horrible flip up headlights. He said the best way to get the steam or condensation buildup off the inside of your windows was to turn the heat all the way up AND turn on the A/C, which gives you warm/dry air and instantly you can see through the windows again. Not all makes allow the A/C and heat to be on at the same time. Leaving the A/C on after the window clears up on a cold or snowy day would be unusual. For purposes of quickly drying the window surface and interior of car, it's the bomb! I'd like to think I've been driving Hondas ever since for reasons other than this.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Another thing to consider is that if the bearing heated up it will damage the compressor shaft seal which will cause a refrigerant leak. If there's physical damage to that clutch I'd replace the entire compressor. If the electromagnet just failed or something simple like that I'd consider doing just a clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts