Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Either factor that into your best offer or prepare to have this necessary maintenance item done once the Pilot is yours. TB is only one piece of the puzzle to ensure trouble-free ownership

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Do you think it's kinda weird that the tranny fluid was changed at 93 and 106K? I thought that was weird. Maybe a mistake on entry.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Do you think it's kinda weird that the tranny fluid was changed at 93 and 106K? I thought that was weird. Maybe a mistake on entry.
Could be an entry error or something else. Check the fluid for color and smell. Best to get a trusted mechanic to inspect and scan for codes if any are stored or present

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
The transmission fluid being changed close together is a little odd, but I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the fluid was only changed one time in 100k miles it's not going to hurt anything.
They may have been catching up on neglected fluid changes.

Nobody can really tell you what kind of condition the transmission is in. A mechanic will check the fluid condition and possibly drive it to make sure it shifts properly. You can do all of that yourself.

Check for rust as well since it's up north.

The only other thing is the timing belt. Assume it hasn't been done and prepare for a $1k+ bill to pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Do you think it's kinda weird that the tranny fluid was changed at 93 and 106K? I thought that was weird. Maybe a mistake on entry.
Either a mistake, or there is/was some issue with way the transmission was shifting and which the first drain/refill didn't cure, so a second drain/refill was tried.
Honda advises against flushing the transmission and a single drain/refill only changes about a third of the fluid.
What Honda calls a "flush" consists of a sequence of four drain/refill cycles with with some driving or operation of the transmission in between each drain/refill.
It might be advisable to perform a thorough test drive of this vehicle to be see if the transmission seems to be performing satisfactorily.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Appreciated.
Post up what you decide. There is an exclusive Piloteer thread here that should be a sticky that reviews most if not all things to inspect/consider before plunging head first into a first gen Pilot. Used Pilots can be a good choice as long as we do our part with proper maintenance

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts
Ask for the service records and if you don't see the timing belt explicitly, assume it hasn't been done.

Post up what you decide. There is an exclusive Piloteer thread here that should be a sticky that reviews most if not all things to inspect/consider before plunging head first into a first gen Pilot. Used Pilots can be a good choice as long as we do our part with proper maintenance
Indeed there is and it's a such well put together checklist that I can't fathom why it's taking so long to make a sticky. I'm sure our admins and mods, @Rocky & @Daltongang, are on the case as we speak. :)

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
I've experienced that phenomenon while car shopping, especially used. If one or more of your important questions elicits a shutdown in response, you've struck a nerve and they'd rather try to fob it off on a more naive buyer.

So yes, move on. You've likely dodged a lemon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carfax has 58 history reports for that vehicle. It'd be interesting to see the list.
Carfax has about half that number for my 2003.
I bought it. Good service record. Timing belt done at 92k. Airbags done. Engine sounded great. Tires had good tread left.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Here's wishing you the best and welcoming you to the forum. (y)

Knowing you're not buying new and perfect, of course, how does it stack up to the checklist linked to above?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts