Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the title suggests, I do not yet own a Honda Pilot. I’m in the market to replace a rusted out 02 Camry, and I’ve found a decent looking 06 Pilot for sale about 8 hours away.

I’m married with a 16 year old daughter, and we frequently travel to sporting events and pageants that require packing days worth of things, so the extra room is a plus.

However, my wife is disabled, and would have trouble getting in and out of the 06 Pilot at stock ride height. A friend of ours has an 03, and she really likes it, other than the hassle of in and out.

I’ve done some searching, but haven’t come up with much more than a few threads about using the Odyssey lowering springs, but it sounds like that’ll only get you 3/4-1”.

Just wondering if there have been any advancements in the realm of Pilot lowering that I haven’t yet found.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,092 Posts
You might take a look at this. Honda's Customer Mobility Assistance Program.

I believe it is only for new vehicles but they apparently provide financial assistance.

You might also take a look here. They have both new and used vehicles.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
So, as the title suggests, I do not yet own a Honda Pilot. I’m in the market to replace a rusted out 02 Camry, and I’ve found a decent looking 06 Pilot for sale about 8 hours away.

I’m married with a 16 year old daughter, and we frequently travel to sporting events and pageants that require packing days worth of things, so the extra room is a plus.

However, my wife is disabled, and would have trouble getting in and out of the 06 Pilot at stock ride height. A friend of ours has an 03, and she really likes it, other than the hassle of in and out.
Have you considered a Honda Fit or HR-V, or a Subaru Forester?
Perhaps a used Mazda 5 or Honda Element?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,438 Posts
If you are traveling distances, like I suspect you are, and are short of cash, we'll have to find a work around to help you.

Side steps might be part of the solution. The other part might have to be a ramp that you store (tie down) in the trunk . You know what you need better than we do. Just throwing this link out there. Wheelchair Ramps - Portable Modular Scooter Ramps Obviously important to make sure it can be secured when in use and when stored inside your Pilot.

Good luck, hope you find what works and show us how to do it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Not
If you are traveling distances, like I suspect you are, and are short of cash, we'll have to find a work around to help you.

Side steps might be part of the solution. The other part might have to be a ramp that you store (tie down) in the trunk . You know what you need better than we do. Just throwing this link out there. Wheelchair Ramps - Portable Modular Scooter Ramps Obviously important to make sure it can be secured when in use and when stored inside your Pilot.

Good luck, hope you find what works and show us how to do it.
They have to purchase the Pilot first ... then they have options :)

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,296 Posts
If steps will not suffice, I'd buy an Odyssey before spending $ to lower a Pilot. The Odyssey can be a DIY nightmare.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
If steps will not suffice, I'd buy an Odyssey before spending $ to lower a Pilot. The Odyssey can be a DIY nightmare.
The Odyssey is the better choice for room and ez entry. With my man card folded away I traded in my 2000 Odyssey for the Pilot but i miss those powered sliding doors and flat surfaces to watch the stars come out at night with my GF....oops off topic.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
The Odyssey is the better choice for room and ez entry. With my man card folded away I traded in my 2000 Odyssey for the Pilot but i miss those powered sliding doors and flat surfaces to watch the stars come out at night with my GF....oops off topic.

Careful, there. You'll set off @andywatson's hair trigger TMI sensor. :D

plplplpl said:When my starter died way out of town last summer, it just up and died with no warning, whining or anything. Got it changed after an unplanned conjugal hotel overnighter to make the best of the circumstances View attachment 137866 , and then I was good to go.​
TMI, man...

OP. it would help to know the extent of your wife's disability so we can get an idea of what accessibility options would suit her best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.