Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our Honda Odyssey was written off earlier this year after hitting a deer we have been humming and hawing about what to get next, we really loved the odyssey but it had some limitations when it comes to clearance and going on backroads. Where I live there are not a lot of vehicles to choose from, most people travel 4-8 hours to have a better selection of vehicles. I started researching mid-sized SUV's and came across the Pilot, Seemed similar enough to my Odyssey but with twice the clearance and 4x4. Well, we found one 20 mins from us that is 2003 with 195000km on it and they are asking 7000$CAD. The couple has put 6000$ into it in the last year, including front end work/suspension breaks timing belt, pretty much all the stuff I would expect to have to do on a vehicle this age. Now it comes from somewhere that uses a lot of salt and vehicles from there typically have a lot of rust, this one has a little bit but not a lot and the guy says it because the couple he bought it from kept it in a garage and barley drove it for 10 years. Is this something I should be concerned about, what could go wrong with a vehicle that has sat for 10 years in a garage(it's not clear how much they drove it in that time). also, would little bits of rust on the frame be a concern? Anything else I should be looking at? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, hoping to become a Piloteer real soon. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow I don’t know where you live in Canada but that seems expensive for a 03 pilot. I thought my 04 with 140k miles was only worth around 3-4k CAD here in Toronto.

·
Registered
2003 honda pilot exl
11 Posts
Thats a bit expensive. Our 03 i bought for 1k. Rebuilt the motor and replaced the suspension around 3k. So 4k. Sounds like you're from saskatchewan or manitoba where honda seems to go for gold. For 7k i would expect an 09 atleast

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hmm, considering they had sunk 6k last year for maintenance and repair, there is a room for both of you to negotiate. Try to find a happy medium! Be reasonable. Make an offer--don't badger but don't be badgered! More importantly, if you must trust, also verify!

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Yes, a salted road history and rust should be a huge concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, considering they had sunk 6k last year for maintenance and repair, there is a room for both of you to negotiate. Try to find a happy medium! Be reasonable. Make an offer--don't badger but don't be badgered! More importantly, if you must trust, also verify!
yes, I do plan to negotiate. I live in the West Kootenays of bc. where cars always seem to be listed for more than somewhere like Kelowna, which is more than Vancouver. and Calgary always seems cheaper. I was thinking of offering 5200. It seems that every vehicle I look at that is cheaper needs to have all the stuff done that this has done which then brings the price to be higher. What do you mean by "if you must trust, also verify!"

·
Registered
288 Posts
yes, I do plan to negotiate. I live in the West Kootenays of bc. where cars always seem to be listed for more than somewhere like Kelowna, which is more than Vancouver. and Calgary always seems cheaper. I was thinking of offering 5200. It seems that every vehicle I look at that is cheaper needs to have all the stuff done that this has done which then brings the price to be higher. What do you mean by "if you must trust, also verify!"
Make sure that all the aforementioned maintenance and repairs were done. Ask for receipts. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure that all the aforementioned maintenance and repairs were done. Ask for receipts. Thanks.
Yes, they had a very organized stack of receipts all stapled together. some of the work has been done at the mechanic I've been using for 4 years. I'm thinking I'll go talk to him later this week. Do you think there is anything to be concerned about in regards to it having been parking in a garage for the better part of 10 years, It sounds like it wasn't driven much if at all in that time.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Do you think there is anything to be concerned about in regards to it having been parking in a garage for the better part of 10 years, It sounds like it wasn't driven much if at all in that time.
IMO the repairs stated in your first post don’t reflect 6k unless some engine or trans work was done. Vehicles parked and unused for an extended time can develop issues or problems such as fluids (PS, PB, coolant, oil) rubber (tires, belts,hoses), battery, internal/external corrosion (frame, engine, brake). Hondas are known for reliability but like all vehicles will succumb to neglect or lack of use. Still an interesting purchase if things work out. I bought a 2010 BMW X3 with 12k but the bimmer was serviced yearly at the dealer and garaged.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
This being parked in a garage, what do you mean. Were they snowbirds and traveled South for the winter.
Seniors, and they had it in the garage, more than the road. I think 5200 to 5500 if certified, for the area you live is not bad, not great either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This being parked in a garage, what do you mean. Were they snowbirds and traveled South for the winter.
Seniors, and they had it in the garage, more than the road. I think 5200 to 5500 if certified, for the area you live is not bad, not great either.
the story was that the previous owner to the current owner bought it for his wife, but she found it too big, so either never drove it or hardly drove it. Not sure if he drove it, but I would assume someone drove it some or why keep it for 10 years.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's relatively low mileage but 18 years is still 18years, garaged or not.

Personally, I would be very suspect of buying a car that the current owners sank that much money into - and then decided to sell. My gut reaction in these situations is always - there's something even bigger wrong and about to go. That could be a bad transmission, rusted frame mount, etc.

Or, did they just buy a new car and are selling this private because the dealers would give them nothing? Ask questions. Lots of questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Personally, I would be very suspect of buying a car that the current owners sank that much money into - and then decided to sell. My gut reaction in these situations is always - there's something even bigger wrong and about to go. That could be a bad transmission, rusted frame mount, etc.

Or, did they just buy a new car and are selling this private because the dealers would give them nothing? Ask questions. Lots of questions.
the reason they are selling it is that he got laid off due to the COVID so he started a business that requires him to have a truck and pull a trailer, I'm assuming a construction business. And so they don't need 3 cars cause his wife has a small car. but yes that is a very good point. thanks

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Why would someone sink in $6k into a car, perhaps worth $6k tops, then sell it within a year? I’d want to get my money’s worth driving it after shelling out all that money on repairs. My initial gut feel is to be skeptical on this one and definitely pay your mechanic to inspect it if you’re seriously considering it.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
Good idea talking to the mechanic, he will give you a good idea what the car is worth. Just like motorcycles, cars are way overpriced here in Canada.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts

And crawl under the vehicle with a flashlight.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
and how much rust is to much rust?
Check out other threads for similar issues

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I hate to speculate, but for an 03 in Canada on salted roads, I'd say there will be a substantial amount of rust. The subframe mounts are repairable, but if you discover it to be an issue, I'd let it be someone else's problem. Especially for the price their asking.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
574 Posts
All excellent advice.

Once you've read about subframe mount failure, get under the car with an icepick and a flashlight. Even better if you can get the mechanic in town to put it on his lift and walk you through all the work he did.

Try to poke holes in the rear unibody with the icepick. If you succeed, walk away. Check the bolts in the suspension to see if the exposed ends are crusted with rust. Try cracking a few of those bolts to see if they were properly greased when parts were installed and not subsequently frozen up.. Confirm that parts used for the work done were Honda OEM or high-quality third party, given the price of the work.

If the previous owner has essentially re-built an old Pilot, it could be a good deal. I agree that it's not a good deal at the price offered, and the $6k invested is irrelevant to the current value of an '03 Pilot.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts