Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning
We've had a 2005 Pilot from new. Never tow with trans and transaxle fluid changed every 30K.
Anyone out there with the same maintenance schedule and how many miles?
Thank you.
PS I don't even want to put a new trans in this thing. 199K.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have you changed your radiator?

Reactions: 97trophy and aggrex

·
Registered
603 Posts
The 2005 has an external replaceable filter. Have you changed that?

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Think you got your monies worth out of that transmission due to good maintenance and fortune. Getting 200k trouble-free miles from any transmission is somewhat remarkable because components within do wear out. Small issues that seem to crop up with high mileage are solenoid / pressure switches.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,945 Posts
~115k miles on my wife’s 2005 Pilot, so nowhere near the 199k miles yours it at. I’ve been doing a 1x drain and fill every 15k miles, mainly for peace of mind, and no tranny issues thus far except 3rd and/or 4th gear pressure switches going out at ~75k miles (I just replaced both when I got the flashing D even though code reader indicated only one was bad). I’m planning to replace the tranny filter at the next D&F at the 120k mile mark. Radiator was replaced at ~85k miles due to en external leak, and thankfully not the one which results in a pink milkshake.

Reactions: aggrex and ConrodM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I don't even want to have the tranny replaced. Cost more than it's worth.
I'm probably on borrowed time.
This has been a reliable suv but components do wear out.
The 2005 has an external replaceable filter. Have you changed that?
I've always had the fluids changed at the dealer's quick lube.
No mention of an external filter. I was under the impression that the trans had two screens internally.
Next suv's going to get more than 16-18 mpg. Problem is getting something I can fit into(6'4").

·
Registered
603 Posts
What about that radiator? Are you aware of the issues where the radiator fails and takes out the transmission?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,945 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about that radiator? Are you aware of the issues where the radiator fails and takes out the transmission?
Yeah,heat exhangers on domestic trucks do the same. That's why I have a manual truck.
All the new cars and trucks have so many gadgets I can't comprehend how all that stuff will hold up.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
239 Posts
216k on our 2005 EXL. Had near death experience also (ATF Connection to radiator failure) at 213k. Been thinking of doing 3x drain/fill because I am not sure what the local mechanic put in. It shifts really smooth and smoother in cooler weather (40’s-50’s). Thanks Road2cycle for pointing out the filter- local guy said it didn’t have one that was serviceable. I doubt ours has ever been changed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
355K on our 04 EXL. Stock engine, Trans and Radiator. Because of this "heap", we have 5 Pilots in the family!
That's what I like to hear! My local Honda dealer had a couple of guys from the company swapping out defective autos on the first ones. My service writer used to be a tech and told me to just change fluids and that the trans can go a long ways. Our engine purrs on cold days upon startup. No ticks or nothing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's what I like to hear! My local Honda dealer had a couple of guys from the company swapping out defective autos on the first ones. My service writer used to be a tech and told me to just change fluids and that the trans can go a long ways.
I bought a new Tundra in 2010, it has 83,000 miles on it. While it's been issue-free since new,if it serves me any where near like that Pilot, I'll be happy!

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
239 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts