Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I have a 2004 Pilot with 138K miles. I have had it for almost 4 years now and I love it. I live in northern NJ and I have taken it to Boston, and all the way to Niagara falls.
I am planning a trip to Toronto in a few months but not really sure if taking the Pilot. The only issue I have now is the steering, it vibrates some times at low speed. I think needs tires.
Could you guys share travel experiences with similiar Pilots ? Any suggestions on what to check on the car for a trip like this ?
Oh. i changed the timming belt and water pump one year ago.

Thanks

JP

·
Registered
174 Posts
after hitting 150K, I have driven Cincinnati to Glacier MT (twice)- 1900 miles in two 1/2 days, many trips to Tuscaloosa, Tampa Florida, etc. Never stranded. Currently at 208K miles.

I do my own maintenance, if you dont, would recommend a good mechanic check it out your car for any obvious issues.

Vibration can be a number of things, your at the point that lower control arms, tie rods, struts may start to wear.

I usually do major maintenance at least a month in advance of trip in case a mistake was made, i will show up.

Make sure your spare tire is properly inflated (I purchased a used full size wheel). Bring extra oil, check oil level at every gas fill up.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Been to Canada Many times even further up the North West territories ... Should be fine just make sure all your general maintenance is up to date before you go...
Just as fivermillions stated about the vibration also the tires need to be re-balanced.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Started driving my 05 from Boston to Greenville SC 12 years ago. Its done the trip many times but just shy of 200k it was retired from the job in favor of a new to us Volvo. All in we typically covered 2300 miles every trip including running around down there.

At first I worried and was super fastidious about maintenance, but over time discovered that as long as its properly maintained per Honda recommendations, everything would be just fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just returned from a 10k mile trip in a 2003. Left with 131k. Bought it with 130k last May. No problems.

Fivermillions suggests what I did: shocks, struts (KYB), tie-rod ends and sway bar links / bushings (Honda) a month before I left. Rear diff and ATF change 6 weeks before. Oil change with Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and filter 2 weeks before.

I also ditched the original donut spare. Check the manufacture date coded into the sidewall. A junkyard full size wheel and a new tire were easy, and the tire cost about the same as a new donut. That was a no-brainer.

The suspension update transformed the car. There are lots of other threads here on that. Easy driveway job with basic tools and this forum as a guide, except for the alignment.

Will

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Thank you very much to all of you guys. Yes I think I am underestimating my Pilot. It is very good o me.
I do my oil changes and stuff like that. I even did change the starter myself.
I was considering replacing it with a 2013-2015. I am not a big fan of the new one yet.
Do you think ? should I change it or not yet ? I think it should have many more miles to give right ?

Thanks again.

JP

·
Registered
174 Posts
if you already replaced your starter, why are you concerned about it now? I bring a small toolbox on trips, replacing the starter is easy.

I agree with Tahoefever, you can rotate or balance your tires and see if the vibration changes. Also engine mounts can be an issue at your cars age too.

I also installed KYB strut assemblies and shocks with lower control arms, etc. They are stiffer than Honda. I am told Monroe are closer to OEM ride. Also, if your camber is off on the back wheels, consider adjusable upper links.

Since you live in the rust zone, check the rear subframe to body for rust - easy to look at from the back of the car.

Rusted subframe mount repair

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I find seat cushions punishing. Traveled across Southern Ontario and after 4 hours my butt is numb. Do not have any of that in the minivan which feels like a sofa compared to the pilot.
Also in Winter the Pilot's heater feels weak on the HW, but Okay on the back roads at lower speed. I am totally convinced that Honda thermostat is way too open when warm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again. I am not worried about the starter, it is ok.
What I was asking is if I should replace the Pilot itself for a 2013-2015 or keep on running my 04...
I mean the engine and tranny feel good, only have the vibrating steering wheel now.
Oh also I broke a tire lock nut and I am in the process of drilling the stud out and replacing it because there was no more meat on the nut to grab it to take it out.

Any comments welcome.

JP

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just drove my 05 with over 150k from Cincinnati, OH to east Long Island, NY. Over 1600 miles all in with side trips and what not. I have the EX-L and I find the seats more than adequate. I'll drive this car as long as I can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would have a tire shop check out the vibration, because most of us can't check wheel balance or alignment at home.

My 2008 with 104k miles handled NJ to GA (900 miles) a few months ago, and I just got back from GA to FL (1200 miles round trip) yesterday. Before a big trip I check pressure on all five tires, oil, coolant, washer fluid, and wipers.

I monitor fuel economy as a metric of engine health. Local driving I get around 16mpg, but on trips I expect 20mpg or better. On my trip down to Florida I hit a new record of 22mpg, carrying my family of 5, luggage, and my sub.

My multitool is all I travel with. I would need too large a toolbox to make most roadside repairs practical. My breakdown plan is to have it towed to the nearest town, and continue my trip with a rental car while it is repaired.

A CB radio with magnetic-mount roof antenna is handy for long hauls. I don't use a radar detector. Waze is nice, but it drains my battery faster than the car will charge my phone.

Don't know if you're traveling with kids. With my three, I found it's best to have the two younger ones in the second row, with some luggage secured between them. My older one sits on the right side of the third row, with the left seat folded down. That seems to minimize conflict between them while maintaining ample cargo room. And of course, ensure there are plenty of USB chargers for everyone's devices.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great car for road trips.

We have done at least ten decent road trips in ours (2000 miles plus), with several days when we drove over 800 miles in a day. Our last trip was over 2800 miles to Miami and back and we had over 175k miles on the clock.

We use a folding carrier on ours for additional room.

Multi USB sockets to keep the iphones charged and away you go. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Waze is nice, but it drains my battery faster than the car will charge my phone.
The secret, I've found through trail and error, is to only use fast charging chargers (at least 2.4 amps; 3.1 or more is better) AND fast charging cables, otherwise that's the weak link in the chain and it doesn't work.

Amazon.com: AILUN Fast Car Charger,Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Adapter,Dual USB Port 35W,for Mobile Device,Compatible iPhone X/Xs/XR/Xs Max /8/8Plus/7,6 6s,6s+,SE 5s,Galaxy S9 S9+ S8 S8+ S7,Note 5 8 9[Blue Light]: Electronics

Amazon.com: Snowkids USB C Cable (USB 3.0), USB A to USB C Charger (2-Pack 6.6ft) Nylon Braided Fast Charging Cord Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Note 9 S9 S8 Note 8, LG V30 G6 G5, Pixel, Nintendo Switch (Grey): Electronics

3.1A 5V Dual USB Car Charger LED Display Quick Charge 3.0 Moblie Phone Fast Charging Car Charger for iPhone Samsung Tablet Auto on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Micro USB Cable Suntaiho 5V2.4A Nylon Braided Fast Charging Mobile Phone Micro USB Charger Cable for Samsung/xiaomi/LG/Huawei-in Mobile Phone Cables from Cellphones & Telecommunications on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Don't know if you're traveling with kids. With my three, I found it's best to have the two younger ones in the second row, with some luggage secured between them. My older one sits on the right side of the third row, with the left seat folded down. That seems to minimize conflict between them while maintaining ample cargo room. And of course, ensure there are plenty of USB chargers for everyone's devices.
Yes, well thought out child configuration certainly beats constantly repeated empty threats to "turn this car right around."
:headslap:
:1pat::cursin:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Thanks again. I am not worried about the starter, it is ok.
Oh also I broke a tire lock nut and I am in the process of drilling the stud out and replacing it because there was no more meat on the nut to grab it to take it out.
If you take out the hub, you should be able to press the remaining stud out w/o drilling it, should you not?
I too broke off a nut while REMOVING it after the shop possibly cross threaded it after mounting my tires, and am wondering what is the process.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What advantages would a CB radio serve ? I've always been interested in them just trying to convince the boss that we need one in our pilots :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
What advantages would a CB radio serve ? I've always been interested in them just trying to convince the boss that we need one in our pilots :)

Here's a few things I communicate with other drivers:

• Locations of emergency vehicles
  • Warnings of an upcoming traffic slowdown
  • Locations of collisions/construction and which lanes are affected
  • Number of miles to go until traffic clears up
  • Wildlife (deer) crossing the road
  • Weather hazards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts