Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My wife’s 2009 Pilot has been giving a few fits lately. There is an issue when the car has been parked for a while it takes about 10 seconds of cranking to get it to start. Warm starts and turning the key to on and waiting 3 seconds prevents this. Seems like a fuel pressure issue. Also the Pilot has started to get worse mileage, down to about 12mpg. The fuel pressure tester from Auto Zone didn’t look like it would work, adaptors are different. Any advice?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have you done any maintenance lately or around the time this started? Any check engine lights?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No check engine lights. The car has always been serviced at the dealership under Honda care. I did try cleaning the Mass Air flow sensor. Didn’t change anything

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd start with some basics...

How many miles on the vehicle?
How long since the last timing belt or major maintenance?
Did it start all of a sudden, out of the blue, or gradually get worse over time?

Make sure the air filter/air duct isn't clogged. I'd check the spark plugs for any signs of fouling. Is there any loss of power at WOT or once it starts does it run totally normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. It has been successfully fixed. The first issue was the spark plugs, They were fouled at 100,000 mi, brown around the insulator. I replaced them with the factory plugs and all is well with the fuel mileage. I did buy a new wrench from Harbor Freight. Flex Head Ratchet, the adjustable head angle made a big difference. The 2nd issue was the fuel module (Fuel pump, regulator and fuel filter). I replaced that and the long start issue went away. All in all, it was an easy job and now the wife is happy again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok. It has been successfully fixed. The first issue was the spark plugs, They were fouled at 100,000 mi, brown around the insulator. I replaced them with the factory plugs and all is well with the fuel mileage. I did buy a new wrench from Harbor Freight. Flex Head Ratchet, the adjustable head angle made a big difference. The 2nd issue was the fuel module (Fuel pump, regulator and fuel filter). I replaced that and the long start issue went away. All in all, it was an easy job and now the wife is happy again.
thanks i think i need to try replacing spark plugs just got her a couple of months ago and noticing mileage not the greatest replaced pcv that was gunnked up pilot running better after that ill get some plugs and start their the old girl has 155000 on it alsoput the vctuner on too cheers press on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts