Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hate to tell those of you who have spent $$$ trying to figure this issue out but I have a brand new 2012 EXL and am having the same problem. Random times when it simply won't start and almost starts for about 5 to 7 seconds until it eventually starts. I have Googled the issue as well as YouTubed it and even brand new Pilot's (like mine) are having this issue. I'll be talking with my dealer this week and report back.
What did you find out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2008 Honda Pilot EX (2WD) Automatic has the 3.5-liter V6 with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM). I was having the same "long cranking to start" issue described by the initial post which lead me through the following sequence of events. I currently have no codes appearing nor any previously appeared. I check the battery, alternator and replace the starter with no luck correcting the cranking issue. Additionally, I notice I was running through 2-quarts of oil every 1,000 miles. I then decided to replace the spark plugs and notice my Cylinder #1 had an oil-fouled spark plug, after further research on this forum I was made aware of the notorious Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) issue and its class-action lawsuit, and I was direct to install a VCMuzzler or VCMTuner to disable the VCM and correct the oil consumption and premature spark plug fouling issues. I just install the VCMTuner yesterday and it is working as specified disabling the VCM (ECO mode). I have not run it long enough to see if the oil consumption and premature spark plug fouling issues will stop, however, I am told it will. After installing the VCM tuner, I immediately inspected all the recently installed new spark plugs ( all were clean accept cylinder #1) and then I replace the cylinder #1 spark plug with a new one. I also replace the PVC valve. I originally was hoping that by installing the VCMTuner, new spark plugs and PVC valve this would stop the oil consumption and premature spark plug fouling which I thought was causing the long cranking issues. However, the long cranking issues continue. After reading this long thread this is the order I see I need to proceed to correct it, please correct the order if I am wrong as I am a novice DIYer:
  1. Spark Plug and Ignition Coils - which already checked out and are good.
  2. EGR Valve - Clean or Replace.
  3. Fuel pressure regulator - clean or replace
  4. Check for bad connection between positive and the starter
  5. Fuel Pump or filter - replace
  6. Fuel Relay - already had that replaced by a shop.
  7. Main Relay
  8. Crankshaft position sensor - replace
  9. Engine temp sensor
  10. Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
  11. Ignition assembly
  12. Marginal crank sensor
  13. Coolant temperature sensor - replace
  14. Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor - replace
  15. Key Immobilizer
  16. Clean throttle body
  17. Fuel Injectors - Clean or replace

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would do the cheap and easy things first.... then come back and make a grander plan. Your items are a bit out of order as well.

1. EGR valve - clean or replace.
2. EGR passages - clean.
3. Throttle Body - clean.
4. Can of Techron fuel system cleaner in the tank, filled with top tier gasoline

Then, after burning through that tank of fuel, if it is still problematic, start a new thread here for organizing your next moves.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would try the trick that an earlier post used. Cover the EGR port with foil and see if the engine cranks easily. You will get a CEL but that is to be expected. They are cheap enough and I replaced mine just because it was old. I got the standard motor EGR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alright following my post above concerning long cranking. I am still having random and long cranking. I completed the suggestions above, listed below:
  1. I cleaned the throttle body
  2. I cleaned the EGR ports and cleaned the EGR valve. ( i might need to replace the EGR)
  3. I also compete with the seafoam motor and fuel treatment. Added it to the oil crankcase, fuel tank, and hot soak the engine according to Seafoam.
I am still having the random long cranking issues. What should my next step be?

1. Fuel pressure regulator - clean or replace
  2. Check for bad connection between positive and the starter
  3. Fuel Pump or filter - replace
  4. Fuel Relay - already had that replaced by a shop.
  5. Main Relay
  6. Crankshaft position sensor - replace
  7. Engine temp sensor
  8. Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
  9. Ignition assembly
  10. Marginal crank sensor
  11. Coolant temperature sensor - replace
  12. Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor - replace
  13. Key Immobilizer
  14. Fuel Injectors - Clean or replace

·
Registered
210 Posts
Alright following my post above concerning long cranking. I am still having random and long cranking. I completed the suggestions above, listed below:
  1. I cleaned the throttle body
  2. I cleaned the EGR ports and cleaned the EGR valve. ( i might need to replace the EGR)
  3. I also compete with the seafoam motor and fuel treatment. Added it to the oil crankcase, fuel tank, and hot soak the engine according to Seafoam.
I am still having the random long cranking issues. What should my next step be?

1. Fuel pressure regulator - clean or replace
  2. Check for bad connection between positive and the starter
  3. Fuel Pump or filter - replace
  4. Fuel Relay - already had that replaced by a shop.
  5. Main Relay
  6. Crankshaft position sensor - replace
  7. Engine temp sensor
  8. Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
  9. Ignition assembly
  10. Marginal crank sensor
  11. Coolant temperature sensor - replace
  12. Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor - replace
  13. Key Immobilizer
  14. Fuel Injectors - Clean or replace
I had these issues the first winter after I completed a timing belt change, I was off my rear cam by one tooth which caused long crank starts, especially in the cold.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Agreed the Timing is off was the timing belt done recently ? I also had this issue with the same area

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchase my 2008 Honda Pilot from a family member with about 157,000 Miles with several service records. The Timebelt was replaced by Firestone AutoCare on 5/28/14 at 62,052 Miles. She compliant about difficulty starting to another auto repair shop on 10/9/2017 at 127,787 miles. Alot post above reference replacing the EGR valve. I am about to replace the timing belt myself here shortly. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Sounds like firestone screwed up the job and she just delt with it. If a timing mark is off even by a tooth you will experience the long start issue. If you need tips and the how too just for your notes look on the forums here there are tones of awesome info and walkthroughs . Any questions that you have chime in and ask away there are a lot of great users here that have done this job

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sounds like firestone screwed up the job and she just delt with it. If a timing mark is off even by a tooth you will experience the long start issue. If you need tips and the how too just for your notes look on the forums here there are tones of awesome info and walkthroughs . Any questions that you have chime in and ask away there are a lot of great users here that have done this job
Can an engine last with one belt tooth off for 5 years and 95,000 miles? I would think that would damage the valves since they are not in time with compression?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Can an engine last with one belt tooth off for 5 years and 95,000 miles? I would think that would damage the valves since they are not in time with compression?
correct still would run just cause damage as you stated

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did my first timing belt and was off one tooth on the rear cam. Before starting the engine, I rotated it to verify no interference. I mainly had start problems when winter came. So I would guess I ran 6 months with the belt off one tooth - it took a while once winter came to figure it out. I am now at 220,000 miles, replaced the timing belt and associated parts at 210K. So, I have no evidence of damage from operating one tooth off on an 04 Pilot.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I did my first timing belt and was off one tooth on the rear cam. Before starting the engine, I rotated it to verify no interference. I mainly had start problems when winter came. So I would guess I ran 6 months with the belt off one tooth - it took a while once winter came to figure it out. I am now at 220,000 miles, replaced the timing belt and associated parts at 210K. So, I have no evidence of damage from operating one tooth off on an 04 Pilot.
That's amazing. I would have thought it would run poorly, bad mileage, and throw codes

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would agree with the timing belt with my limited diagnosis experience; however the long cranking is random and seems to happen when the engine is warm. It rarely ever happens on cold starts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's amazing. I would have thought it would run poorly, bad mileage, and throw codes
that's what made it hard to trouble shoot,once it started it was fine, below 30F I started having issues. I stumbled across a post mentioning timing, checked and found the culprit.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts