Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All !

Well we have had our Pilot for about 2 weeks now, and I love it. AT the dealer my wife indicated she might want LoJack installed. I told her to wait and we would check with a dealer closer to our house, as we had traveled a bit to get the best deal we could.

Anyway, long story short, we contacted LoJack directly, and their price was about $300 less than the dealer, and they came directly to our house to install it !!! We didnt have to go anywhere and we save all that money.

So if anyone is contemplating this purchase, I suggest you contact LoJack direclty through their website. They will email you with contact info and thats it !!

Now if I could just speed up my recooping from surgery, I can get out and install my new Westin Side Bars !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
jjgardner3 said:
Good Morning All !

Well we have had our Pilot for about 2 weeks now, and I love it. AT the dealer my wife indicated she might want LoJack installed. I told her to wait and we would check with a dealer closer to our house, as we had traveled a bit to get the best deal we could.

Anyway, long story short, we contacted LoJack directly, and their price was about $300 less than the dealer, and they came directly to our house to install it !!! We didnt have to go anywhere and we save all that money.

So if anyone is contemplating this purchase, I suggest you contact LoJack direclty through their website. They will email you with contact info and thats it !!

Now if I could just speed up my recooping from surgery, I can get out and install my new Westin Side Bars !!
Well, a twist to the story.

The gentleman came and installed my LoJack. I paid, he gave me the owners packet. After he left, I looked in the packet and noticed that the service isnt even offered in my county. They neglect to tell you that when you order ..

Anyway, after an angry call to LoJack and their sincere apologies, the tech is on his way back out to un-install and give me my check back.
I checked the LoJack website, and as for coverage they only list the state, no mention of counties. Then conveniently after the purchase, you see the actual coverage area.

Moral of the story .... ask the right questionsI guess.:mad:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
If I had the chance, I would have bought networkcar instead.

Just curious, how much did it cost?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have never heard of networkcar, but I guess it also depends on where you live. I checked for Florida and there are only two places in the entire State that they install these. I know Lojack is big down here and there are a bunch of police departments that have the antennas for lojack. I guess the way networkcar works is instead of a police car getting a signal, the dispatcher is given the vehicle's position via gps. In reality if it really works that well then it's good. Only problem is that they don't tell you how much it cost and how much the monthly subscription is, which is what it sounds like you will have to pay unlike lojack. I don't have lojack, so I can't really say which is better.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Lojack

jjgardner3 said:

I checked the LoJack website, and as for coverage they only list the state, no mention of counties. Then conveniently after the purchase, you see the actual coverage area.

Moral of the story .... ask the right questionsI guess.:mad:
Guess the car thefts just have to know where to go.:2:

As for me, I am not a big Lojack fan. Yes it helps get the car back, but I am not sure I want the car back after its been stolen.

I just carry $0 deductible full replacement comprehensive insurance. It adds $25 to $35 to my insurance bill a year, and now I don't have to worry about theft, or flood, fire, vandalism, or most others little annoyances. :D :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I truly wish Honda used some type of product like OnStar. It would help a lot and be a great added feature. !!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jjgardner3 said:
I truly wish Honda used some type of product like OnStar. It would help a lot and be a great added feature. !!
OnStar is nice if you want ANOTHER monthy bill!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
For the networkcar, I paid $1295 for five years. It's kind of neat to be able to track your own vehicle. If the wife or kids borrow the car, you can track exactly where they are with any PC.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
wwong said:
For the networkcar, I paid $1295 for five years. It kind of neat to be able to track your own vehicle. If the wife or kids borrow the car, you can track exactly where they are with any PC.
On the other hand, the wife can also track where I am at (like the girlfriend's house) using the PC!!! :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lojack is not that good. It uses radio frequencies and only certain cars with special equipment to receive the signals are required. Therefore, if your local police department is equiped with lojack receivers, it is most likely not all police cars will have the equipment installed. Only a couple of units will have it on each shift. Not only that, the car with lojack has to be in range of a receiver unit. Even if it was in range, a police car will drive all around the city looking for it. What a waist of resource and police work. Someone can steal your pilot and take it to timbuktu and your fender will end up Mexico and your hood in Canada. =) GPS is marked 7/24.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
InfoTech said:
. . a police car will drive all around the city looking for it. What a waist of resource and police work. . . .
They directonally track the vehical with LoJack, not just drive around to find it.

Yes it works best with more than one car doing the traking.
It is effective if your in a city with a police department that uses it.

BUT, I figurethe chance of getting the car slolen is so low compaired to all the other risks that are covered by $0 deductable full replacemnt comprehensive insurance that I could never recommend LoJack to anyone (exept maybe un-replaceable cars)

·
Registered
29 Posts
N_Jay said:
They directonally track the vehical with LoJack, not just drive around to find it.
I know it is directional. But you missed my point. If the car is stolen and being driven around the city, the folks tracking the freq have to drive all around the city tracking it until they caught. Sometimes losing the freq (mountains, buildings, etc). GPS like Onstar is accurate to some meters and a single person at a computer can notify police to the location of the vehicle OR even disable the vehicle if they feel its safe to do so. Lojack sucks. (old technology)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
InfoTech said:
I know it is directional. But you missed my point. If the car is stolen and being driven around the city, the folks tracking the freq have to drive all around the city tracking it until they caught. Sometimes losing the freq (mountains, buildings, etc). GPS like Onstar is accurate to some meters and a single person at a computer can notify police to the location of the vehicle OR even disable the vehicle if they feel its safe to do so. Lojack sucks. (old technology)
Two cars can track a car fairly well without "driving all over the city".

GPS does not work when ubstructed by buildings, and relies on a cellular connection to send the data back.

Yep, LoJack is old technology, but it works.
GPS systems also work.

All this being said, in general they are not good investments for the average car owner. Just get good insurance and relax.
You might even get a new car out of the deal!

·
Registered
423 Posts
wwong said:
Check this out

www.networkcar.com

A lot better than lojack.
Is this real new? I went to the website, looked up the dealers in Texas. So far I have contacted 4 of them and none seem to know what I am talking about.
What dept in the dealership handles the sale of networkcar? Maybe I could get to the right person.

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yes, it is new. Check with the finance manager at the dealership.

·
Registered
423 Posts
wwong said:
Yes, it is new. Check with the finance manager at the dealership.
Thanks for the info. I have checked with 3 dealerships and their finance mgs and I have received 3 different prices...from $795 1st year with $9.99 a month after that to $1095 1st year and 7.95 a month.

I guess I just need to get the old Pilot in.
One thing I did not ask, can it be transfered to another vehicle? Probably not.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Wow

4603pba said:
Thanks for the info. I have checked with 3 dealerships and their finance mgs and I have received 3 different prices...from $795 1st year with $9.99 a month after that to $1095 1st year and 7.95 a month.

I guess I just need to get the old Pilot in.
One thing I did not ask, can it be transfered to another vehicle? Probably not.
If you own the car for 7 years it wil cost. $1500

Do they offer any type of service guarentee?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts