Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the dealer today doing the extra markup w/ the finance dept. He was trying to get me to get lojack at $630. I would've but just dont have that much budgeted.

So anyways, just wondering if there can even be a group buy of Lojack... at least for those who live in the Bay Area (Eastbay for example)... Just wondering... =)

PS. I know it would help a lot of people sleep very well at night

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
As others on this board have commented, LoJack is pretty low-tech as far as vehicle recovery systems go. I had the top-end LoJack with Early Warning System in my last Lexus, and wouldn't bother with it again.

It took LoJack several trips to get the system working properly, and then I discovered that there wasn't sufficient radio tower coverage in the Manassas area. At work in Tysons, I'd be notified of vehixle movement in 15 minutes or less. Here at home, a thief could steal the car, and the early warning system would never trigger an alert.:(

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
An alternative to Lojack is networkcar. Click on the link in my profile.

You can track your vehicle at any time. If wife is out shopping with the Pilot, you can find out exactly where she is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah, heard about it... $1300 for 5yrs seems a bit pricey ain't it... vs $500-600 one-time. The finance guy showed me their new thing, I guess its called Early Warning. Pretty much you carry a receiver. You're vehicle moves; the Lojack transmitter senses motion; it then sends a ping to your receiver. If you don't have it, it notifies the center. The center then calls you to confirm, then go from there...

wwong said:
An alternative to Lojack is networkcar. Click on the link in my profile.

You can track your vehicle at any time. If wife is out shopping with the Pilot, you can find out exactly where she is.

·
Administrator
15,306 Posts
Odds on your car being stolen....very very slim.

If your car is stolen, then whats your total financial exposure for the car, your deductible.

Only people who save with Lojack is the Insurance company. For the owner it makes no financial sense

(this comes from an insurance guy)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
piku said:
Yah, heard about it... $1300 for 5yrs seems a bit pricey ain't it... vs $500-600 one-time. The finance guy showed me their new thing, I guess its called Early Warning. Pretty much you carry a receiver. You're vehicle moves; the Lojack transmitter senses motion; it then sends a ping to your receiver. If you don't have it, it notifies the center. The center then calls you to confirm, then go from there...

That's not exactly how it works. You have to carry a LoJack keypass with you when you drive the car. If you don't have the keypass, i.e. like a thief, the LoJack system starts sending out a signal that's transmitted back to LoJack. The system then contacts you up to 5 different ways (email and telephone contact points) that the car's been moved without the keypass.

The keypass is about the size of a remote, and as I said in my earlier post, if the car isn't in range of a tower to pick up and send the signal back to LoJack, you'll never get the early warning.

I know with the frustration I had with it, I'm not wasting $800-900 on it again. Better to put the money into an insurance policy that'll replace a stolen/totaled car with a brand new one.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jay said:
. . .Better to put the money into an insurance policy that'll replace a stolen/totaled car with a brand new one.
Like $0 deductible comprehensive?:cool:
:2: :2: :2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts