Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing PM service to my 2004 Pilot with 215K miles this Labor Day weekend. I plan on doing the following:
  1. Timing Belt and Water Pump
  2. Valve Adjustment
  3. Spark Plugs
  4. Thermostat
Is there a preferred order that I should do these in?

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
I’d say do tbelt first, run it before putting the covers back on, if it runs right, put all but the front cover back on, leaving it off makes it easier to see the cylinder marks on the cam sprockets when doing the valves. The rest is dealer’s choice unless you wanted to maybe do the valves and back plugs, put it together run it and if it’s okay do the front plugs.. that way if you goofed something you got an idea what it is.. that’s a lot to do in one whack.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I have a 3 day weekend so hopefully, I can get it all finished up in that time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Fordguy has a good plan. I would do the thermostat when you do the timing belt since you will have already dumped the coolant.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just finished these jobs. It's a lot for a 3-day weekend unless everything goes smoothly and you don't need to stop to think about what to do next.

I did the valves first. It's easy to see the timing marks through the porthole, especially with a small mirror. You can take off the front upper cover if you prefer. Either way, rotate the engine from the power steering pump pulley bolt and watch them come around. When you get the head covers and throttle body back on, you can check and see if its running quietly for five or ten minutes because you haven't dumped your coolant yet.

That also gives you an opportunity to punt on the timing belt for another weekend if the valve job expands - mine turned into an EGR cleanup as well.

Doing the t-stat with the throttle body back on is a little cramped, but doable. I did the upper and lower hoses at the same time. You can replace your air filter before you put the air box back on, then start on the timing belt with the coolant (mostly) already drained.

I did the accessory belt and power steering pump belt while I had it apart. That doesn't add much time to the job, and you re-start the clock with new belts and tensioners all around.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Forgot about the thermostat component.. how’s the radiator? And equally importantly if you’re in the rust belt the steel transmission cooler line at the bottom of the radiator. Both my rad and line were junk when I bought the 08.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankfully I'm in North Carolina so not a lot of rust here and the vehicle stays in the garage most of the time.

I will check the cooler lines tonight to make sure they still look OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts