Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from vacation and my rear passenger door won't open. The key fab wont work, the unlock button from inside and manually trying to pull on the lock itself won't work. There has been no damage to the door and I'd rather not start now by breaking the door panel. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get this stupid door open? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,372 Posts
^^^^ What he said.

You should still be able to open the door from the exterior handle if that little lever/switch was moved. If you can’t open the door from the exterior then there is an issue.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish it was as simple as the child safety but nope. When pressing the drivers unlock button or key fab you can see the lock tab trying to move but can't. And like I said I have tried manually forcing the lock tab upwards into the unlocked position but it just won't go.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
Sounds like one of two things has happened then. Either something in the locking mechanism has come loose or something is jamming the locking mechanism. Year and model of the vehicle would be helpful. Most likely some interior door trim is going to have to be removed to get to the locking mechanism enough to open the door. After that the whole interior door panel will need to be removed to see what the problem is and fix it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,372 Posts
You can start by pulling off the interior handle and window switch. That should provide some access to see if there is an obvious issue inside the door.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,884 Posts
I came home from vacation and my rear passenger door won't open.
I'm beginning to think perhaps someone tried to jimmy it open with a slim jim or some other kind of burglary tool. How long were you away and was the Pilot in a completely secured area?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already tried the handle and window switches everything seems fine. Oh and I drive a 2006 EX-L by the way. I was gone approximately a week and no my vehicle was not in a secure location. I highly doubt anybody could have or would of been able to try and break in but it's not entirely impossible.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
This may help:

I believe you can get the panel loose enough to get in and at least release the door so it will open. From there you will be able to see what the problem is and repair the issue.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You will need to unbolt the 2nd row seat to provide access. Looking at trim panel on my 2013, there is really no way of getting it off with door closed.

Chances are, a section of the interior trim panel will need to be cut out. Depending on how and where it is cut,it should be possible to glue the cut out portion back in such that glue lines are not visible.
Looking at this video around 2:55 mark

Vehicle Car Car seat Car seat cover Vehicle door

You basically want to work along the red line, try to separate the inner trim portion from the top of panel. Might wanna put masking tape over the leather trim there to prevent damage to it. These panel parts are It will require a bit of force As those sections of panel are sort of 'welded' together in a number of spots. But you should be able to tear them apat in a way that later can be glued back. Once top section of trim panel is loose from the rest, you should be able to remove it and access the lock mechanism in the door.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Have you grabbed a friend and tried pushing on the door from the inside or outside and while someone is hitting the unlock button? Sometimes the lock mechanism gets slightly misaligned and a little jarring (*while trying to unlock) is all it takes to free the mechanism. My guess is you likely have something bound up between the latch and post, not within the door.

I've changed most of the door handle/lock mechanisms on my '03, and unfortunately if it's a problem with the internal locking mechanism, I can honestly say there's not much you can do until you get the door open - so good luck...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everybody for your suggestions I guess tomorrow I'm going to be taking apart my door. Fun,fun!

Now, on a different note does anybody know where to get a decently priced headliner online? The glue just ain't cuttin' it anymore, the dang foam is just disintegrating. Thanks in advance for any advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts