Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been looking everywhere and even tore into my 2013 pilot looking for the stock amp on my pilot and absolutely can't find it. I popped the right passenger kick plate but only found the ANC unit. Then I tore into the center counsel pulling both lower covers off and then tried to remove the two upper lighter grey panels of the center console almost tearing into the cupholders etc. I simply can't find the damn thing. I looked in the way back in a compartment that is to the far left wall near the rear hatch. behind that cubby hole was another cover and a silver unit, but I don't think that was it as ebay has the 2012-15 amps in a black color, not silver. But then again that may be wrong. There are absolutely no videos on using the headunits main lines to the factory amp and then bypassing the factory amp and using a third party amp, which is what I am going to do. I am planning on doing a youtube video for everyone who decides to do it, but i don't know where the amp is located.

DMG, i know you did the great mod, but did you rewire all the door speakers to your amps or did you use the existing wiring for the door speakers from the amp. LoL, if you did then where did you find the stock amp?

Anyone, if you have info on the whereabouts of the stock amp in a 2013 honda pilot Ex-L non-nav non-entertainment options, I would love to hear from you. I will tag you in my video and eventual posts here so that everyone can do their own add in amp. BTW i am going to also install a pioneer 1100w AIO so this will help if you simply want to add an AIO. I already have a half hour of 4k quality video on the door speaker installs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Looks like you are looking for what is not there. If your EX-L has no Nav or RES, then your audio configuration is the same as EX. Which means head unit itself is the amplifier. See my '2103 EX Audio overhaul' thread on this forum for more info.

My audio upgrade came in two stages, first to replace speakers and put in an amp, then to upgrade the head.
Your head unit already outputs speaker-level amplified signal to door speakers, dash tweeters and the sub. Tweeters are wired parallel to fronts.

I opted for a Rockford Fosgate R600X5 5-channel amp. It provides speaker level inputs for fronts and rears, so I was able to feed head unit outputs directly to it.
It does not, however, provide speaker level inputs for the sub channel, so I got an AudioControl LC2i unit for those. It would take the amplified sub signal from the head, and send the converted signal to the amp.

P.S. Note that I was planning a head unit upgrade anyway so I was eventually going to feed preamp outputs from the Alpine to the amp, hence my selection of model. And I repurposed the LC2i to feed factory unit fronts into Alpine AUX. If you just want an amp upgrade, you might want to go for something like new Rockford Fosgate R2-750X5 which does provide speaker level sub input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scorpio! That is exactly what I needed!! I appreciate your assistance and I will tag you in my video etc. now the work begins. If I recall DMG provided the pin layout his upgrade. Do we have a place here that has a photo of pin layout for the head unit? I will look. But I am pretty sure you and I just solved a mystery that even a long standing Honda dealership in my area couldn’t resolve. They simply couldn’t answer the question. Thank you again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
See my other thread.

I think I described all the relevant connectors/pins in there, including reverse signal, bluetooth microphone and steering wheel controls.

Don't have a photo, but looking at the audio unit from behind, connectors left to right along the bottom are:
A (main, 24p) - power, speaker outputs, steering wheel remote.
C (14p) mostly XM-related.
D (20p) Communication to dsiplay unit and intput from AUX jack.
E (16p) Mostly has to do with active nose cancellations, but also has subwoofer outputs (pins 1 and 9, white/red wires thinker than the rest)
G (3p) AM/FM antenna
There may also be a connector F (28p) above the others, but that is to communicate with RES if equipped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts