Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody on here ever use this stuff? I've talked about my 07 on here in multiple threads and even after a broken timing belt it still runs fantastic. It is using oil but I'm not really concerned unless it gets significantly worse. As of right now it's at just about 200k and uses about a quart every 1500 miles. I've had vehicles that used substantially more and vehicles that "Made" oil. I've always run Castrol GTX in every vehicle I've owned clear back to the late 80's. About 10k miles ago I switched to Mobil 1 to see if I could gain a mile or 2 per gallon. My Dad said in his Hyundai he saw that significant of a mileage increase by just switching to Mobil 1. I can't say whether the oil consumption started after the brand change or after the timing belt broke although that was about 60k miles ago already.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any positive results using the Liqui Moly? Primarily positive results in reducing oil consumption...
I've never run a compression test but I suspect that after the belt breaking that one or more of the pistons might have suffered a little.
It runs so darn well and still gets about 18-19 mpg so I'm not really complaining but I'd like to have a plan if the oil consumption gets much worse...

I'm a "recovering" mechanic so I'm not afraid to yard it out and rebuild it if I must but if the consumption gets worse and this stuff is "Magic" in a can than maybe I can get another 100k out of the vehicle. LOL

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Anybody on here ever use this stuff? I've talked about my 07 on here in multiple threads and even after a broken timing belt it still runs fantastic. It is using oil but I'm not really concerned unless it gets significantly worse. As of right now it's at just about 200k and uses about a quart every 1500 miles. I've had vehicles that used substantially more and vehicles that "Made" oil. I've always run Castrol GTX in every vehicle I've owned clear back to the late 80's. About 10k miles ago I switched to Mobil 1 to see if I could gain a mile or 2 per gallon. My Dad said in his Hyundai he saw that significant of a mileage increase by just switching to Mobil 1. I can't say whether the oil consumption started after the brand change or after the timing belt broke although that was about 60k miles ago already.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any positive results using the Liqui Moly? Primarily positive results in reducing oil consumption...
I've never run a compression test but I suspect that after the belt breaking that one or more of the pistons might have suffered a little.
It runs so darn well and still gets about 18-19 mpg so I'm not really complaining but I'd like to have a plan if the oil consumption gets much worse...

I'm a "recovering" mechanic so I'm not afraid to yard it out and rebuild it if I must but if the consumption gets worse and this stuff is "Magic" in a can than maybe I can get another 100k out of the vehicle. LOL
I think this is like the next step up in molybdenum lubricants, analogous to ceramic waxes are to silicone. I've used molybdenum with good although transient results. This is supposed to be more permanent. I don't know if it will help "fix" any damage to compression caused by the timing belt breaking, but like chicken soup ... it probably wudent hoit. Most of the reviews on Amazon (at least the verified users) are positive. People using Mobil 1 claim it's compatible with no issues. Most report that it quiets ticking/clicking noises and lowers oil consumption and some see slight increase in gas mileage. I'm very wary of oil additives, but this stuff looks to do as it claims. Ain't technology great?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Project Farm did a nice video on it. Can watch and decide for yourself:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this is like the next step up in molybdenum lubricants, analogous to ceramic waxes are to silicone. I've used molybdenum with good although transient results. This is supposed to be more permanent. I don't know if it will help "fix" any damage to compression caused by the timing belt breaking, but like chicken soup ... it probably wudent hoit. Most of the reviews on Amazon (at least the verified users) are positive. People using Mobil 1 claim it's compatible with no issues. Most report that it quiets ticking/clicking noises and lowers oil consumption and some see slight increase in gas mileage. I'm very wary of oil additives, but this stuff looks to do as it claims. Ain't technology great?
Yes it is! I agree with what you said too and also read many Amazon reviews, I just like hearing from folks on here because you know they're driving the same rig you are. Oil additives make me incredibly nervous but one guy said he uses it in his Ferrari... Haha and I'm worried about my 07 Pilot with 200K... Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anybody on here ever use this stuff? I've talked about my 07 on here in multiple threads and even after a broken timing belt it still runs fantastic.
Boy, this stuff must really be fantastic if it makes your car run even after the timing belt broke.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts

Castrol GTX typically has a low molybdenum content.
If you want on oil with more molybdenum, then try the high mileage formula oils from either Pennzoil or Quaker State.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Castrol GTX typically has a low molybdenum content.
If you want on oil with more molybdenum, then try the high mileage formula oils from either Pennzoil or Quaker State.
How is Castrol GTX vs Mobil 1? I've been running Mobil 1 for the last 10k or so. Prior I was running Castrol GTX.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-20
The Mobil 1 oils seem to have about half the level of molybdenum compared to that in the high mileage formula oils from either Pennzoil or Quaker State.
Chevron/Havoline high mileage oil also seems to have a level of molybdenum comparable to that of the Pennzoil and Quaker State products.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Mobil 1 oils seem to have about half the level of molybdenum compared to that in the high mileage formula oils from either Pennzoil or Quaker State.
Chevron/Havoline high mileage oil also seems to have a level of molybdenum comparable to that of the Pennzoil and Quaker State products.
You may have answered my question then as to when my oil consumption increased, it could have very well been when I switched to Mobil 1 and just didn't pay that much attention between oil changes, just kept adding oil as needed... Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's also possible that your oil consumption increased because the Mobil 1 just cleaned up your engine better than the oil you previously used. I bought my 08 Pilot with 137K on the odo and started using AMSOil at my first change. After a year or so (approx. 8K miles), my oil consumption also started trending up. At first I was using the equivalent of about 1QT every 12K miles. I think currently it's about 1QT every 8K miles. Not horrible, but definitely an increase. I still prefer using a top quality oil, but there are potential side-effects for older engines. I believe AMSOil makes a high-mileage variant, so I may switch to that.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Are you burning oil or leaking oil?

Have you ever changed out your PCV valve?

Have you ever replaced or at least cleaned you EGR valve, ports and passages?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are you burning oil or leaking oil?

Have you ever changed out your PCV valve?

Have you ever replaced or at least cleaned you EGR valve, ports and passages?
Are you talkin' to ME??? :eek:

I've had my mechanic check the PCV valve a couple different times and he claims that it's working as intended. I don't recall asking him to look at the EGR stuff, but he may have if it is easy to do. I'm pretty sure that the ports and passages have never been touched, but not sure about the valve itself. Maybe something to ask about the next time I have it in the shop. Perhaps this summer if I get feeling ambitious I'll try and check it out myself, but I'm getting rather lazy in my old age. 👴

I'm beginning to wonder if it might also be time to check the valves. It currently has 165K miles and is running pretty well, but I've noticed lately that it doesn't quite seem to want to fire up quite as quickly. Perhaps it's because the weather is a bit colder, but perhaps the valves are getting close to out of spec. I don't think it's a job I want to do and I really don't want to pay someone either, but I also don't want to put it off too long. What a conundrum!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
You and the OP.

The EGR stuff is a doable DIY.

Valve adjustments are another skill level up. Your call.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts