Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello piloteers...
I have 2017 pilot touring..... yesterday i installed my version of running boards lighting(looking really great).i used led strip waterproof...my question IS....i liked to connect those lights to interior lighting..so if i like to unlock car from remote interior light will turn on and running light too.When i get in to the car and turn engine on light turning off,,,so running board will be depend on lighting inside the car.wanted to now if any of piloteers member knows where to connect wires.

I thinnking (on my opinion) maybe to the interior light relay...dont know.....so i waiting for any suggestion and ideas...
Thx very much and good luck....

·
Registered
83 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, I would have to look at the schematic specifically; however, on other cars in the past, I have wired lighting in series with the door button. So, whenever you open the door, the lights would come on. That wouldn't work for an unlock in this case; but the principle is the same; wire it in with something like the dome light and you'll have those come on every time it is turned on. Probably not how I would personally finish it off; but that would accomplish what you're trying to do (your underglow lights up when ever the dome light comes on during door opening or unlocking).

Be advised though, some states do not allow you to have blue or red lighting on the outside of the car while the vehicle is moving (so as not to be confused with an emergency vehicle). So, if you wire it up to the dome light as I suggested, then if you turn on cabin lights while driving, you could be in violation of your state's laws. Up to you on that one; but, just something to research/consider.

·
Registered
121 Posts
"my question IS....i liked to connect those lights to interior lighting..so if i like to unlock car from remote interior light will turn on and running light too.When i get in to the car and turn engine on light turning off,,,so running board will be depend on lighting inside the car.wanted to now if any of piloteers member knows where to connect wires. "

Yes, I did the very same thing on my '16 pilot, but with LED door lights instead of running board lights.

Here is my post: DIY Interior Lighting Additions

I did not know which wires under the dash were safe to tap/splice into so I ordered the wiring harness by itself for the illuminated door sill accessory from hondapartsnow.com and used that harness to plug into the unused and available wiring connectors (one on drivers side & one on passenger side) that are factory installed under the dash specifically for the illuminated door sill accessory. All I purchased were 2 wiring harness (one for each side), nothing else. I also downloaded Honda's installation instructions for the illuminated door sill accessory which does a good job of showing the location of those wiring connectors under the dash. That accessory wiring harness is 2-pin (meaning it only has 2 wires in it) which is perfect for 2-wire LED strip lights like you have. You need to cut off the Honda 2-pin connector on the other end of the wiring harness (as it is designed to plug into the connector that comes with the illuminated door sill) in order to connect it (i.e.: solder, butt joint, splice, tape … whatever technique you prefer) to your strip light wires. With this approach I was assured of using a power source that turned my lights on and off when I opened the door, and was protected by a 2 amp inline fuse. I downloaded the installation instructions from Honda's eStore, or you can Google to find them.

If you take this approach I'd suggest get the wiring harnesses and the installation instructions for the lighted running boards accessory instead of the illuminated door sill. That wiring harness is longer and the instructions also show how to route wire thru the floor board in case you need to do that. I'm 99.9% certain both wiring harness plug into the very same under-dash wiring connectors for power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts