Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those hard to diagnose engine noise issues. My '16 Pilot with 55K miles has developed a slight, but noticeable metallic sounding rattle when the car is stopped, like at an intersection. As soon as I step on the gas, it goes away. Starts to reoccur as I come to a stop. Dealer acknowledged hearing the sound and checked engine for valve noise, but said that wasn't it. No codes were tripped. He did update the tranny with latest flash download. Otherwise car had no issues to him. Sitting in the drivers seat rattle is very noticeable. If I open the hood with engine running, I hear nothing unusual from the front. But if I lean down by an open door or crawl under the vehicle with engine running I can clearly hear it coming from the back of the engine area ... or so it seems. I even poked all the aluminum heat shields and exhaust system to see if any of them were loose. All were tight. So I'm taking it back to the dealer Monday and asking him to get under the vehicle and check for the noise (oil pump, serpentine belt, tensioner, transmission, etc). I'm concerned because in a couple of weeks we head out for a 2,000 mile trip. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to close the loop on this post, I took the Pilot to my local Honda dealer twice. The first time they said the sound was normal. Second time I took it in, they said they couldn't hear anything. So I took the Pilot to a 3rd dealer in another town, and he informed me they heard the sound I was complaining about and would replace the fuel pump per the TSB under the 60K power train warranty. I have 57K on the car right now. They cautioned me that the chirping sound might still be there after the repair was finished as they are not 100% certain of the cause, but I feel fortunate they are making the effort and replacing the pump. Guess I'll know for sure next week after the part arrives on order and the repair is completed. ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts