Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home today my left turn signal arrow stayed solid on my dashboard. It will not go off. I attempted the right turn signal to which the blinker arrow did as it was supposed to, but no blinking sound. I got home to realize the blinkers on the left were doing a slow blink sort of fading. Now left blinkers are blinking a tad faster, left headlight isn’t working, and the left fog light isn’t working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am car illiterate. I’m looking at both fuse boxes and I’m not quite sure what runs all of that stuff or it’s location?
Also, I’m not thinking a bulb because the fog light and headlight are both not working with the blinker being compromised as well.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
OK. just don't let the dealership tell you are due for the blinker fluid service package. :)

Here are the fuse locations for a 2006-2008.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. just don't let the dealership tell you are due for the blinker fluid service package. :)

Here are the fuse locations for a 2006-2008.
Mine is a 2014 Honda Pilot. I just wouldn’t see one fuse working all those things?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
BTW, what happens if you turn your hazards on?

I'd still check the bulbs, not just visually, but switching them out one by one with a known good bulb.

Then I'd do the same with the fuses. And if you can, use a multimeter.

I've also now attached the Service Manual section on fuses, relays and wiring. I don't know how close the info is to your model year.

If checking fuses and bulbs doesn't lead to a solution, it might be a good idea in your instance to get a trusted mechanic have a look if you're not comfortable dealing with relays, wiring or taking apart and fixing/replacing the turn signal stalk.

Also get your battery and alternator tested. Sometimes a failing alternator can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
This would only confuse someone you can’t use gen 1 diagrams on a gen 2 pilot .you are better off just downloading the 2012 service manual that’s located on these forums

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Has the car ever been in an accident at the front? Or has the headlight bucket ever been removed? Reason I ask is that the symptoms you describe are consistent with a bad or disconnected ground wire for the headlight bucket harness. If you aren't car-parts or wiring savvy, it may be time to take it for professional attention. Otherwise ---

and for those following along at home:
The connection in question is ground point G301 (for the left side, G201 for the right side...) described as "left side of engine compartment body ground, via left engine compartment wire harness. It's below the main face of the radiator sheet, to the outside of the radiator opening, You can't quite see it looking down through the front of the battery and behind the radiator from the top. Wiring in a ribbed sheath passes through a standoff that's almost at the bottom of the radiator opening, then continues down and slightly to the right (looking from the front top) to a bolt into a weldment. There are three ring terminals there for connections from headlights, turn signal, and fog light. If you have the set of gen 2 service manuals that Tahoefever mentions, look on page 22-35 in the second section, at reference 26. Try tightening the bolt. You may need to pull the lower fender liner or the belly protector for access, or the plastic bumper.

Explanation:
When there 's a weak ground path to the chassis, the individual lighting circuits find alternate paths. In this case, the three ring terminals together provide paths back through the other circuits when only one circuit is energized. The available current flow is reduced since it's now passing through other bulbs on the way to other chassis ground point(s).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, just got back from Honda. It was a faulty ground wire at the alternator something or other. Said there was paint over the bolt and ground. Was removed, cleaned, and reinstalled free of charge. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Great result! Thanks for sharing that with us.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,953 Posts
Glad to hear the dealer resolved it without charging you for the service.

And nice descriptive explanation @dr bob

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, just got back from Honda. It was a faulty ground wire at the alternator something or other. Said there was paint over the bolt and ground. Was removed, cleaned, and reinstalled free of charge. Thanks everyone!
Free! Amazing.

My dealer does nothing for free. Actually sometimes they do nothing even when I pay them. I had them do a code analysis on my 2005 pilot. My VSA would come on intermittently, but otherwise no problem with the vehicle. They said it was caused by low voltage and I needed a new battery, which I knew I didn't. Changed the battery anyway, the problem didn't go away. Then I disconnected the wires to the brake cylinder reservoir cap and the problem disappeared. However, they told me I needed new control arm bushings, which I did not, since I had replaced them myself. I no longer go to that dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts