Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wanted to start this thread here and share my experience as i go through it. There is a longer story that lead to this ill skip but here is the link to the kit on Ebay that I have purchased. I will unbox and send pictures later this weekend once the rest of my parts arrived.

Freedom Offroad 2.5” Lift Kit w/ End Links and Camber Kit for 2003-2008 Pilot | eBay

I decided to go with this kit as it has the new link ends and cambers in the kit not just the spacers, the secondary reason is i just acutally called the number and a knowledgable or seemingly so person answered my questions so that helped a lot. Since i see the threads pop up i just wanted to document this specific kit and anything that seems way off to me on the install. Also this is my first time with lifting a vehicle so it should be interesting to say the least. I will try to keep this updated as i go this isnt a primary vehicle so it make take a bit of garage time to get it done.

Things I am also replacing during this process:
Struts / Shocks
all 4 CV Axles
all 4 disc breaks and pads
*Anything else that needs it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opened the kit today and jammed the Honda in the garage. Should be enough room to get to all four working points out of the sun and rain. The kit seems extremely sturdy very clean not sure what I was expecting but pleased with it out of the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Opened the kit today and jammed the Honda in the garage. Should be enough room to get to all four working points out of the sun and rain. The kit seems extremely sturdy very clean not sure what I was expecting but pleased with it out of the box.
The Pilot should look impressive after the lift kit is installed. If your Pilot has spent time in the NE winters expect to encounter some tough rusty bolts. Are all 4 axles having issues? Looking forward to reading about your lift kit project.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Pilot should look impressive after the lift kit is installed. If your Pilot has spent time in the NE winters expect to encounter some tough rusty bolts. Are all 4 axles having issues? Looking forward to reading about your lift kit project.
I am not sure to be honest but I am pretty sure they are original and if I’m going to tear into it may as well do it right. Plan on getting over 350k on it. :). Had some really bad vibrations over 35 and even in neutral also worse on cornering etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All depends on what I can fit in there in the long run. For now gonna put stock back on for cost factors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well ran into my first fun batch of crap. Axle nuts were 36mm didn’t have that impact off to the store. Good news is so far everything to the wheel hub came off like butter. FR LH. Bad news speed sensor is stuck will prob just unhook it rather than replace at 45$ each or chance it on eBay. The inner and outer tie rods are shot and the vertical sway bar is frozen in place / stripped out using my S6 hex and 17mm wrench on both ends. Lower ball joint looks ok really don’t want to mess with pressing it in/ out. Will try again today to see what I can do about them. Not unexpected for its age.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I'm installing a ReadyLift 2" lift kit and will run the OEM axles and LCA until they start making noises. Installation of these spacer kits do not require removing the axles or LCA. Your Pilot lift kit is more aggressive at 2.5" and will alter the front CV axles angle more. Check out Rock Auto for the inner+outer tie rods.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most came from Rock auto. I ended up getting the tie rods elsewhere however. As for the kit / CV I have some bad vibrations that started this roller coaster like I said want to get 350k or more out of it so may as well over do it a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok been a bit. I have been having issues with the passenger side CV. That MF won’t come off. My jack won’t get it high enough to use my hardened crow bar to pop it off so I got some pry bars from harbor freight. Waste of time too flexible they absorbed the impact. No space to get the CV tool and slide hammer due to the heat shield and the phizucking heat shield won’t come out due to design.... let’s say I have cried a lot is an understatement. I finally decided to drill holes in that hardened MF and use a bolt and chain to pop it out. Lot is work and 20$ worth of bits but it’s out.... I am now ready to start rebuilding the passenger side and am excited about it..... side note I have never had to mess with a CV this much idk why this has decided to be a pain in my ass to no end. But I’ll tell you this ima clean the part that was stuck and hang it on my garage wall like the predator with a new skull!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry bro got really hurt just about to update this again. Long story short I had a severe strain / sprain combo on my right arm and had trouble even making a fist for about a month. Shortly after that last post was it for me until last weekend.

I do have pics and story and I have lessons leaned with the kit etc to post but it’s too much for a phone update

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Injuries are not fun. I hope you fully recover asap. Just don't push the PT too hard.
Thank you I’m doing much better now my nephew has been doing a good bit of the heavy stuff and I’m getting in there as well but at 25 he packs a bit more youth than I do for frozen bolts. He snapped 2 of them off already (a good thing) haha. I just need to put all of my thoughts and events in order.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Thank you I’m doing much better now my nephew has been doing a good bit of the heavy stuff and I’m getting in there as well but at 25 he packs a bit more youth than I do for frozen bolts. He snapped 2 of them off already (a good thing) haha. I just need to put all of my thoughts and events in order.
Good to hear you're on the mend. Looking forward to your build. Frozen, rusted, busted, bolts and nuts slowed my build but I think 🤞 it might be safe to say I gotten past these problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to hear you're on the mend. Looking forward to your build. Frozen, rusted, busted, bolts and nuts slowed my build but I think 🤞 it might be safe to say I gotten past these problems.
I’m at the point I’d rebuild this bitch any day over buying a new one... too many electronics. Combustion and mechanics FTW. I also have a 2019 pilot and my 2008 drives smoother... ill freaking get new leather at this point! Or God forbid a new engine! As long as I can turn a wrench ima avoid the man.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm with ya on keeping the pilot. The only big nut is the tranny otherwise there ain't nothing that will cost more than $1500 to replace.

I had the same issue with pulling my CV, had to remove the intermediate shaft and bang the axle out from there. What a mess that grease makes! I'm excited to watch your progress, I'm upset I didn't do this myself. Just replaced everything suspension related.

FYI, make sure you bang that sucker in good when you replace. Had my front driver axle pop out on the road last week because I didn't bang it in good enough. Ended up pulling the knuckle and getting it back in on side of road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm with ya on keeping the pilot. The only big nut is the tranny otherwise there ain't nothing that will cost more than $1500 to replace.

I had the same issue with pulling my CV, had to remove the intermediate shaft and bang the axle out from there. What a mess that grease makes! I'm excited to watch your progress, I'm upset I didn't do this myself. Just replaced everything suspension related.

FYI, make sure you bang that sucker in good when you replace. Had my front driver axle pop out on the road last week because I didn't bang it in good enough. Ended up pulling the knuckle and getting it back in on side of road.
Ouch, yeah they are in there i drove it to the alignment shop story update to follow

1 - 20 of 25 Posts