Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the liftgate on my wifes 2018 pilot will randomly open on its own. its happened a half dozen times in the last few weeks. the first time i just thought she hit the key fob by accident but that doesnt seem to be the case. any ideas on what the problem is?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,877 Posts
First thought is some sort of chaffed wire causing a short. More information would be useful as to where and under what conditions this happens. In the garage or several different locations. When parked, when someone is getting into it, when in motion or just randomly at any possible time.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
so the liftgate on my wifes 2018 pilot will randomly open on its own. its happened a half dozen times in the last few weeks. the first time i just thought she hit the key fob by accident but that doesnt seem to be the case. any ideas on what the problem is?
Do you know where all the key fobs are?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply. seems to mostly overnight, though 1 time during the day. so far only when parked in driveway. multiple times when raining and 1 time during snow

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe your neighbor has a device to open your liftgate. He's messing with you.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Place Fobs far away from vehicle. Double wrap with tin foil if necessary. This will help prove if the problem is with the Fob or vehicle. If the problem ceases. Expose one Fob at a time to determine which Fob is defective.
But yes, someone might have your number.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Any chance someone hit the button that's on the driver door to open the liftgate?
I don't have the power opener, but it still unlocks and opens slightly when that button is pushed.
My wife has done it a few times on our '15 Pilot

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,877 Posts
thanks for the reply. seems to mostly overnight, though 1 time during the day. so far only when parked in driveway. multiple times when raining and 1 time during snow
If it is only happing when parked in the driveway one possibility could be a random radio wave from another source in your area. While the probability of it being from another Honda owner is extremely low, it could happen. Smart Key interference is a known problem especially if you have a radio tower in close proximity.

Another possible source that you might want to consider if all else fails would be that it is not a problem with your vehicle at all. Tell me, are you absolutely sure that the vehicle is always locked when in the driveway? Someone could be perusing the neighborhoods looking for vehicles of opportunity.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Poltergeist

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
Any environmental potential? More than stray radio signals.
Thinking more of is it raining or wet melted snow around etc when this happens?
Are you the first owner? Any repairs to electrical or body? Any electrical modifications?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
yes - both seem to function normally
It's possible moisture or water/snow is getting into the switch at the bottom of the rear hatch and shorting it out. I don't know if the switch is waterproof or not, but it does sit on the bottom of the door outside the door gasket so it's not protected from the elements.

Locking the car should prevent those switches from working either in the driver's door, the rear hatch or the key fob. Not a bad idea to always lock your car nowadays, even when it's in your driveway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think the group consensus is bigfoot is pranking me :rolleyes:. its prob a short in a wire somewhere. will see if locking the doors keeps it from happening - if she can remember to lock it

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
i think the group consensus is bigfoot is pranking me :rolleyes:. its prob a short in a wire somewhere. will see if locking the doors keeps it from happening - if she can remember to lock it
Wow, your avatar! Now that's a fish! Is that a Tuna?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Wow, I'll say so!

Mmmmm, Sushi!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts