Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching lifting my 2019 Pilot (I like the lifted look and do not intend to do major offroading). I welcome any posts from those who lifted their Pilots in the past (preferably 3rd gen but others are welcome too) about reliability and common issues they encountered that can be attributed to lifting a car.

Please provide specifics about your lifting experience, like

1. Lift size (1, 1.5, 2 or 3 inch)
2. How many miles you put on the car before any issues popped up that could be attributed to the lift itself
3. How many miles driven with the lift total
4. Details about failures related to the lift
5. Share any other related information about lifting a Pilot/Passport/Ridgeline and reliability

·
Registered
353 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that if the vehicle is more than 0.59" above factory ride height and you have to replace the windshield, for example, the multipurpose camera aiming won't complete. You'll have a bevy of warnings and loss of Honda Sensing features.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One thing to keep in mind is that if the vehicle is more than 0.59" above factory ride height and you have to replace the windshield, for example, the multipurpose camera aiming won't complete. You'll have a bevy of warnings and loss of Honda Sensing features.
Does calibration help resolve this issue?

PS I tagged a guy who did 2 inch lift a few months ago and asked him specifically this question. His video didn't show any warning lights but that might take some time to develop. I will update this post once I hear something. Check out his videos below:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Does calibration help resolve this issue?

PS I tagged a guy who did 2 inch lift a few months ago and asked him specifically this question. His video didn't show any warning lights but that might take some time to develop. I will update this post once I hear something. Check out his videos below:

What is sometimes referred to as "calibration" is actually called "aiming" by Honda.

Typically, a lifted vehicle won't show any warning lights until the camera requires aiming such as after a broken windshield is replaced. That's when owners will be in for a rude awakening.

The camera aiming process involves measuring the front height of the vehicle from the ground to the wheel arches. The average of the two measurements is subtracted from the standard height and entered into the HDS as part of the aiming process. The allowable range is -35 mm (1.38") to +15mm (0.59") from the standard height. If the measured value is outside this range, camera aiming will not work, DTCs will set, and warnings will appear. There have been a couple of Ridgeline owners with lift kits who reported being unable to get their cameras calibrated following windshield replacement due to the vehicle height.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is sometimes referred to as "calibration" is actually called "aiming" by Honda.

Typically, a lifted vehicle won't show any warning lights until the camera requires aiming such as after a broken windshield is replaced. That's when owners will be in for a rude awakening.

The camera aiming process involves measuring the front height of the vehicle from the ground to the wheel arches. The average of the two measurements is subtracted from the standard height and entered into the HDS as part of the aiming process. The allowable range is -35 mm (1.38") to +15mm (0.59") from the standard height. If the measured value is outside this range, camera aiming will not work, DTCs will set, and warnings will appear. There have been a couple of Ridgeline owners with lift kits who reported being unable to get their cameras calibrated following windshield replacement due to the vehicle height.
Hey, this is a valuable information. So, would you say that deflating tires to reach the needed height would help with "aiming"? It seems like it is only needed for the original set up and the equipment seems to work afterwards. Lowering air pressure or even using blocks to get to the right height? As long as there is a workaround. Of course, doing this at a Honda dealership is most likely not an option. Thanks for contributing!

·
Registered
353 Posts
So, would you say that deflating tires to reach the needed height would help with "aiming"?
Aiming won't complete if the tires are low.

You can raise the aiming target (which no reputable dealer will do due to the liability), but that's like using someone else's urine to pass a drug test.

The problem with raising the target or deflating the tires to force aiming to complete is that the world around the vehicle won't be raised like the target nor will you drive around on four flat tires. :)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I had no idea people were lifting these things before buying one and finding this forum. I like my Pilot, but it's a sliding door away from being confused for a minivan.
Might want to go a bit more extreme to look different as there are 2” lift kits out there for the adventurous Overlanders in Odessey and Sienna minivans.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Minivan Honda odyssey

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aiming won't complete if the tires are low.

You can raise the aiming target (which no reputable dealer will do due to the liability), but that's like using someone else's urine to pass a drug test.

The problem with raising the target or deflating the tires to force aiming to complete is that the world around the vehicle won't be raised like the target nor will you drive around on four flat tires. :)
I posed this question to Traxda to see if they have a workaround. I will ask JSport the same question to see if they have a solution from Honda.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both JSport and Traxda responded and both confirmed they were not aware of any issues with Honda Sensing related to their lift kits. Both cited high number of sold kits and were confident in their products.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Both JSport and Traxda responded and both confirmed they were not aware of any issues with Honda Sensing related to their lift kits. Both cited high number of sold kits and were confident in their products.
Did you really expect a different response?

That's like asking a car salesman if the car you're looking at has any known problems. Of course it doesn't!

Now, write back and ask for a written guarantee that their lift kits won't affect Honda Sensing operation or camera aiming and let us know what they say. :)

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
343 Posts
Did you really expect a different response?

That's like asking a car salesman if the car you're looking at has any known problems. Of course it doesn't!

Now, write back and ask for a written guarantee that their lift kits won't affect Honda Sensing operation or camera aiming and let us know what they say. :)
It doesn’t effect any of the systems until you have to recalibrate after installation of a new windshield.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting that there would be camera/radar aiming issues that would be triggered by a lift in the Pilot.

I know this is apples to oranges, but... I also own a 4runner, which for 2020+ now have many (not all) of the same sensing cameras/radars that the Pilot has. Obviously lifting a 4runner is much more common, and being active in the 4runner forums I haven't seen any issues with people having to re-aim their 2020+ 4runners because of a lift.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Interesting that there would be camera/radar aiming issues that would be triggered by a lift in the Pilot.

I know this is apples to oranges, but... I also own a 4runner, which for 2020+ now have many (not all) of the same sensing cameras/radars that the Pilot has. Obviously lifting a 4runner is much more common, and being active in the 4runner forums I haven't seen any issues with people having to re-aim their 2020+ 4runners because of a lift.
I can't speak for other brands, but specific to Honda and the Pilot, a step in the camera aiming procedure involves measuring the front ride height of the vehicle and entering a number into the Honda scan tool that corresponds to a range of values. If the ride height falls outside a range, the aiming procedure will fail. If you enter a number that doesn't correspond to the vehicle's ride height (lie), the aiming procedure will fail.

I've not yet seen anyone report problems until something like a windshield replacement prompts a camera aiming - that's when the issue occurs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't speak for other brands, but specific to Honda and the Pilot, a step in the camera aiming procedure involves measuring the front ride height of the vehicle and entering a number into the Honda scan tool that corresponds to a range of values. If the ride height falls outside a range, the aiming procedure will fail. If you enter a number that doesn't correspond to the vehicle's ride height (lie), the aiming procedure will fail.

I've not yet seen anyone report problems until something like a windshield replacement prompts a camera aiming - that's when the issue occurs.
I guess another way to look at this is to contact a few glass installers to see if they have procedures to adjust the height of the target used for aiming to account for the lift. I wonder if this is an issue with the glass installer...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am researching lifting my 2019 Pilot (I like the lifted look and do not intend to do major offroading). I welcome any posts from those who lifted their Pilots in the past (preferably 3rd gen but others are welcome too) about reliability and common issues they encountered that can be attributed to lifting a car.

Please provide specifics about your lifting experience, like

1. Lift size (1, 1.5, 2 or 3 inch)
2. How many miles you put on the car before any issues popped up that could be attributed to the lift itself
3. How many miles driven with the lift total
4. Details about failures related to the lift
5. Share any other related information about lifting a Pilot/Passport/Ridgeline and reliability
OK, so the deed is done: 2F/2R Traxda lift kit has been installed by my mechanic. Alignment was done and everything is within spec. The ride how felt fine on the hwy but I only drove for 6 miles, so I will report more on that later. Let me tell you, the car feels very high compared to before (look how much higher compared to the curb). It still drives like before (like a car) but I feel like driving a truck now just how high I am above the ground. Cornering has not been affected much so far as I can tell. My tires are 1 inch bigger in size 245/70R17 Blizzaks on KMC Bully rims. I will report more after I drive this set up around for a bit.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I guess another way to look at this is to contact a few glass installers to see if they have procedures to adjust the height of the target used for aiming to account for the lift. I wonder if this is an issue with the glass installer...
There is not a work around that produces a proper working system, anyone who says differently doesn't know how the lift effects it. The target height, centering, and distance are all setting these values in the system. It doesn't learn, it uses what you tell it. When you raise the target the camera can literally be looking over the car in front of you, that it should be seeing. That kid the pedestrian detection should have picked up, well you can explain that in court. Adas lawsuits are on the rise, and many glass shops are now closed after not aiming or improperly aiming these systems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts