Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a shame that Honda equipped the Pilot with a great AWD system (with electronic diff lock in mud and sand mode), but put crappy tires and low ground clearance on the SUV. The 3rd generation Pilot sits lower than previous generation by a huge 0,7in.

Because I do medium off-roading on my fishing and hunting trips, I needed more grip and more ground clearance. I started by replacing the OEM tires with Michelin Defender LTX M/S, which I loooove. Then I pulled the trigger on a Traxda 1,5in F/R lift kit. Could not be happier with the result:

Cost: Kit cost $377USD

Installation: The kit is well made. Installation took 3,5 hours + wheel alignment. Quite easy, but you need a proper mechanical shop. The lift is created by spacers installed completely on top of the struts. So suspension travel is not affected, nor ride quality. Front spacers have built-in camber adjustment bolts.

Road impression: handling is still very good. Thanks to the torque vectoring capability of the i-VTM4. I can slightly feel the gravity center being a bit higher, but only during spirited driving or hard braking.

Look: I let you judge by yourself, but I like the more truckish look. Going from 245 to 255 with Michelin also helped a lot. It gives my PIlot more stance.

Can't wait for winter time and next trips in the woods to appreciate the new capabilities of my Pilot.

Here are some pictures of before and after:

I recommend this kit to anyone looking for extra ground clearance at low cost.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am surprised you didn't go to 255/55r20 with the lift. The tires most likely would fit even without the lift. 31 inch vs 29.6 stock. It would give you 1.4 inch increase in diameter or 0.75 extra clearance. Is that still the plan or did you just wanted the lifted look?

I want to get 17 inch wheels and 31 inch tires. I would like to try it without the lift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the tires way before lifting the truck. And there is not a lot of room left, especially behind the front tires. I'm really not sure about 255/55. Let me know!

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
Awesome! I'm interested to see how it does on your next trip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the extra gap in the wheel well. The lift looks really good. Are you saying you got more clearance by just installing a leveling kit? If so, can you show how much the clearance increased? I was under impression the leveling kit alone does not add clearance. You will need to use bigger tires to get more clearance. Your new 255-50R20 tires would give you 0.5 inch larger diameter and 0.25 inch clearance increase. Could you please confirm? Not getting extra clearance is the only reason i am not installing leveling kit. I think i will try to go the bigger tire route.

I appreciate your feedback.

It's a shame that Honda equipped the Pilot with a great AWD system (with electronic diff lock in mud and sand mode), but put crappy tires and low ground clearance on the SUV. The 3rd generation Pilot sits lower than previous generation by a huge 0,7in.

Because I do medium off-roading on my fishing and hunting trips, I needed more grip and more ground clearance. I started by replacing the OEM tires with Michelin Defender LTX M/S, which I loooove. Then I pulled the trigger on a Traxda 1,5in F/R lift kit. Could not be happier with the result:

View attachment 132465

Cost: Kit cost $377USD

Installation: The kit is well made. Installation took 3,5 hours + wheel alignment. Quite easy, but you need a proper mechanical shop. The lift is created by spacers installed completely on top of the struts. So suspension travel is not affected, nor ride quality. Front spacers have built-in camber adjustment bolts.

Road impression: handling is still very good. Thanks to the torque vectoring capability of the i-VTM4. I can slightly feel the gravity center being a bit higher, but only during spirited driving or hard braking.

Look: I let you judge by yourself, but I like the more truckish look. Going from 245 to 255 with Michelin also helped a lot. It gives my PIlot more stance.

Can't wait for winter time and next trips in the woods to appreciate the new capabilities of my Pilot.

Here are some pictures of before and after:

View attachment 132466 View attachment 132467

I recommend this kit to anyone looking for extra ground clearance at low cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Lift kit really adds clearance. The spacers are installed on top of the front struts and rear shocks top plates. The one I bought is 1.5 in, front and rear. That gives me 0.25 (tires)+1.5= 1.75in total. (Don't forget to divide by 2 the tire diameter)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, pics or did not happen:) I thought leveling kit only lifts the body and does nothing to clearance. I am so confused now. Would you be willing to take a picture of your car with a ruler to show extra clearance?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts