Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had any problems with their lift gait holding water? I noticed this fall that I have rust forming up underneath inside the lift gait handle where there really shouldn't be any water. As I watched closer, I noticed when I raise the lift gate after rain the water pours out the sides on the way up and gets anyone around the lift gate wet. On the way back down, water actually pours out from the door handle inside and that's where it's rusting and ruining the whole lift gait down to the bumper. I'm taking it in for an oil change this week and hoping to address this. I have the Honda extended warranty, which I'm sure doesn't cover rust (thought it shouldn't be rusting yet from normal wear and tear), but I'm hoping it helps me out with the lift gait holding water inside and rusting from the inside out.

Thanks for any info and thoughts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 2017 Pilot has the same problem. I took it to my local dealer and they said the tail light seals were leaking and they repaired or replaced the seals. It is still getting some water inside though. I fear mine may start rusting as well.I can see where the water drains out on each side when the door is lifted so that is obviously where it gets in too. Very poor of Honda Quality to let this go. Many people have the same issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My '17 had the same issue. After a 7h drive through heavy rain, opening the liftgate resulted in a small waterfall, with water running down into the main cabin along wires - the amount of water which accumulated in there was astounding. My Pilot was rear-ended when it was 6 months old, so the dealership blamed the body shop repairs off the bet. There are numerous write-ups about this, and it is some sort of manufacturing defect. The body shop owner showed up at the dealership and pointed some of them out, and the dealer fixed it under warranty. Now it is water tight.

Have yours looked into ASAP. The body shop which repaired my car had a hell of a time putting mine back together (took them three tries). They don't sell it as a unit, and putting the glass in correctly is difficult. With enough rust in it, you might be looking at a replacement too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the taillights off and I don’t recall any seals. The taillight are in the rear quarter panel aren’t they. I have a 2013 so maybe it’s changed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I may put some silicone around the small areas where the water drains out when you raise the door. This also is where the water gets in. Hopefully I can seal it up. Mine is out of warranty due to high milage but is 2 months short of 36 months old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts