Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a Pilot from Tameron Honda in Birmingham, Alabama. We were drawn there due to their large selection of vehicles and a word-of-mouth history of fair deals for their cars. We were offered to participate in a rather interesting service agreement. Tameron is offering to warranty our Pilot's engine and powertrain for the life of the vehicle if we promise to service our vehicle exclusively at their service shop. The agreement ends if I sell the vehicle or if I send it to another auto shop for service. I live 90 miles south of Birmingham in Montgomery, and I do not travel out of town that often. But I am intrigued by their offer, and may participate. I would like to know if this offer is common in other parts of the country, and if anyone sees this as a "red herring".

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi rodfile...

What happens if you're out of town and need service? On vacation, etc. Sounds kinda scary. How many loopholes? Price of that type of warranty? Did you read ALL the fine print?
A couple of dealers on the board, maybe they'll be able to shed some light here.

Congratulations of your new Pilot!! Be sure to post your Pilot info...
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've never heard of it before. If you are planning to use the dealer for service anyway it sounds like a nice deal. I would want everything in writing to make sure there are no misunderstandings. Since you are 90 miles away you should also look at the time and money involved in having all service performed at the dealer. I would also verify that their required services are the same as Honda's and at prices similar to other dealers. Also be aware that warranties that you purchase will include other systems as well, such as AC, ABS, and computer engine controls. Most of the time when they refer to "drivetrain" they mean the engine block and transmission, sensors and controls are not included.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Does sound kind of fishy.
Who's lifetime? the car? yours?
An awful lot of varibles. Sounds too good to be true. Your know what happens when something sounds too good to be true. Its usually is.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Are they going to make you sign something??? How can they prove that you got it serviced somewhere else anyway???

Go for it...you have nothing to loose---

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Nothing to lose?

Well he hasn't given the $$ quoted for this warranty but I'm sure it ain't cheap. And I'm sure they'll be a big dotted line to sign on. As far as how would they know if serviced elsewhere... Good question. Are service records accessible from dealer to dealer on a Honda database or something? Even if not and they would find out some other way, I'm guessing that he'd lose his $$ and his warranty. :confused:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You may want to take some time and read all the fine print ...

PrG

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Nothing to lose?

Sage said:
Well he hasn't given the $$ quoted for this warranty but I'm sure it ain't cheap. And I'm sure they'll be a big dotted line to sign on. As far as how would they know if serviced elsewhere... Good question. Are service records accessible from dealer to dealer on a Honda database or something? Even if not and they would find out some other way, I'm guessing that he'd lose his $$ and his warranty. :confused:
My understanding is the warranty is free but it is a dealer warranty not a Honda warranty. As long as all service is done by the selling dealer they will offer a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. If work were done at another Honda dealer it would be in the database and they would know. If done at an independent there would be no record. If you look at what most "drive train" warranty cover, many items are excluded.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Re: Nothing to lose?

pjb3 said:

My understanding is the warranty is free but it is a dealer warranty not a Honda warranty. As long as all service is done by the selling dealer they will offer a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. If work were done at another Honda dealer it would be in the database and they would know. If done at an independent there would be no record. If you look at what most "drive train" warranty cover, many items are excluded.
Oh, I see. Hmmm... Not sure about this one. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts