Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 4WD Pilot EXL with 157K miles. I'm going to be towing a trailer next summer from Texas to California to move my daughter home from college. I'm planning to add a transmission and power steering coolers before that trip, but since I will likely have the front bumper off the car I'm also wondering if it would be a good time to replace the radiator at the same time.

To that end I'm wondering what is a reasonable expecteed lifespan of a Pilot radiator? Any experiences/opinions about doing this work at the same time as the tranny and PS coolers are welcome too.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
The 2005MY Pilots were the ones with an usually high percentage of radiator failures.
A new Denso radiator would cost ~$150.
Given that you'll already be doing much of the required disassembly work, the relatively low added cost to proactively replace the radiator (and hoses - and possibly the thermostat, too) simultaneously would seem to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Agreed. Perhaps not critical for a 2007, but it's cheap insurance and even easier since you'll be in there.

More Information for DENSO 2213226

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2007 LX 4WD. Radiator developed very slow leak (bottom, driver side) 2016-2017. At that time car had not more than 100K miles. Replaced it with Denso in 2018.
If you are still with the original radiator, I would replace it.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Replace it, perfect time to add coolers.. not sure PS cooler is necessary beyond what the car already has (extra long metal line to increase surface area).

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
If the vehicle has issue with corrosion or rust, it's good maintanance to replace the radiator. Here in Texas, it's not as common of a problem.
It's not neccesary to equip the power steering system with an additional cooler, but there is no harm in doing so. Again, rust and corrosion could be an issue depending on the vehicles history. I'd inspect the power steering lines an OE cooler to see if it needs replacing.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have a 2007 4WD Pilot EXL with 157K miles. I'm going to be towing a trailer next summer from Texas to California to move my daughter home from college. I'm planning to add a transmission and power steering coolers before that trip, but since I will likely have the front bumper off the car I'm also wondering if it would be a good time to replace the radiator at the same time.

To that end I'm wondering what is a reasonable expecteed lifespan of a Pilot radiator? Any experiences/opinions about doing this work at the same time as the tranny and PS coolers are welcome too.
Here’s a pic of my ‘04 [email protected] that was silently failing yet never caused any issues. Having the front bumper off will make the replacement much easier. Upgrading with relatively inexpensive auxiliary PS and trans coolers since everything is wide open. Inspect your metal lines as I’ve had to replace my rusty crusty metal PS and trans lines in my quest for many more trouble free years of Piloting.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s a pic of my ‘04 [email protected] that was silently failing yet never caused any issues. Having the front bumper off will make the replacement much easier. Upgrading with relatively inexpensive auxiliary PS and trans coolers since everything is wide open. Inspect your metal lines as I’ve had to replace my rusty crusty metal PS and trans lines in my quest for many more trouble free years of Piloting.
Looks like you might be driving in an area with salted roads? I live in Southern California so it is pretty dry which keeps corrosion to a minimum.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Looks like you might be driving in an area with salted roads? I live in Southern California so it is pretty dry which keeps corrosion to a minimum.
Yup the annual salt/brine baths each winter season. That's a plus for you in CA but sometimes the metal corrosion can occur from the inside out. For example this can happen to the PS or PB lines if fluids are not replaced periodically.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts