Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
My '61 Impala must have been light years ahead of your Accord, a technological marvel! Not only did it have crank operated vent windows (manual turning the window and latching it is for poor people), it also had cable operated vents for the footwell... I get more air in that thing with everything opened up than I do in the '01 325Ci convertible we have with the top down.
We once had an Oldsmobile with vent windows - manual without cranks - and footwell vents.
They worked great as long as the car was moving.
While on vacation one summer, we got stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour on a brutally hot day.
The next year my Dad bought a new Buick with air conditioning.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Face it... The world is full of people who treat cars as appliances that are born with a curse. Many of us (me anyway) learned how to hold the tools correctly because we had to. We weren't poor, but with six kids there wasn't a pile of extra money to buy new cars for kids and pay for school too. I invested in tools, learned how to hold them along the way, and was able to drive to work and classes in less-than-new cars. Fast-forward, and new drivers expect that car to just run right all the time, start every time without fail, drive to a mechanic with the "check engine" light lit and have it fixed instantly free, never have to buy tires or otherwise service the car, and be pretty pissed if something major happens "just out of my extended warranty". All at some bargain original purchase price.

There's no doubt that new cars are better than older cars. I replaced some fuel pumps in a neighbor's Merc AMG, for a little over $1k in parts and a couple hours of fiddling since the pumps live inside the the tank. Dealer wanted well over $3k for the work, and apparently it was enough of a problem that MB had extended their warranty to a total of 14 years from date of original purchase. Neighbor was two days beyond that warranty, and MB stood firmly on the exact terms: No. I put genuine MB parts in there vs the few $hundred for aftermarket, planning for the new-design pumps and plumbing to last at least another 14 years. Anytime we start thinking that Honda isn't giving a fair shake, consider the alternatives.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,699 Posts
Face it... The world is full of people who treat cars as appliances that are born with a curse. Many of us (me anyway) learned how to hold the tools correctly because we had to. We weren't poor, but with six kids there wasn't a pile of extra money to buy new cars for kids and pay for school too. I invested in tools, learned how to hold them along the way, and was able to drive to work and classes in less-than-new cars. Fast-forward, and new drivers expect that car to just run right all the time, start every time without fail, drive to a mechanic with the "check engine" light lit and have it fixed instantly free, never have to buy tires or otherwise service the car, and be pretty pissed if something major happens "just out of my extended warranty". All at some bargain original purchase price.

There's no doubt that new cars are better than older cars. I replaced some fuel pumps in a neighbor's Merc AMG, for a little over $1k in parts and a couple hours of fiddling since the pumps live inside the the tank. Dealer wanted well over $3k for the work, and apparently it was enough of a problem that MB had extended their warranty to a total of 14 years from date of original purchase. Neighbor was two days beyond that warranty, and MB stood firmly on the exact terms: No. I put genuine MB parts in there vs the few $hundred for aftermarket, planning for the new-design pumps and plumbing to last at least another 14 years. Anytime we start thinking that Honda isn't giving a fair shake, consider the alternatives.
To be fair, I also expect my car to run right and start every time. But things will break and get worn out. Sometimes there won't be any extended warranty to rely on. So then you have the dilemma of whether or not you want to drop the money to get it fixed, or you can finance/lease a new car and never have to pay for repairs.

I like to own my stuff, don't mind not having the newest thing and don't cringe at the thought of spending $1k on a timing belt or $800 on a new set of tires. But some people want the newest gadgets and can't stand to spend money on their cars. To that I say, if you have the money then go ahead. It's just not for me.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Amen. People go for another car when the old one gets dirty. We could certainly do that. Prior to dr bob, mrs dr bob got a new 4Runner every seven years as the extended warranty went away, had dealer services only. It's just different. I convinced her to try driving the last one past the end of the warranty, and let me do the services on it. She has the option to replace it any time. But the math says driving the existing car makes more sense. I keep it looking and driving as-new. If it completely failed today we'd still be money way ahead. But that's not for everybody.

Cars are depreciating assets. How much you are willing to endure is a personal choice. Decisions on paying for some repair vs signing a new contract are too often instant cash-flow decisions.

---

Just browsing a luxotic new-car site for perspective on a recent copy, a window on the right pops up to tell me that I could have that new car in my driveway for a mere $625 a week. I have to browse in incognito mode so things like that don't follow me around. One of the long-term toys takes an average of about $2k/yr in parts and insurance costs whether it gets driven daily or monthly. Variable is fuel cost for the most part. Pouring 5x that into a new luxotic seems a crime.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Cars are depreciating assets. How much you are willing to endure is a personal choice.
One of my neighbors - who I'll call the "Strivers" - are always in and out of new his and hers Mercedes or BMWs, probably on a lease.
Then there are the two physicians, who can likely afford nearly any vehicles on the planet but who each drive a Prius.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I had those same neighbors at our last home. The high school-aged children drive new BMW's, parents in new Mercs every couple years. Another neighbor had a "cousin" in the business, so he drove new SL all the time. Turned out his cousin was defrauding MBUSA (and Cali...) by letting him and all the other "cousins" drive factory-owned cars on dealer paper stickers and never showing the transactions. It was an interesting little community, to say the least.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I learned to wrench out of necessity too... if I wanted to drive my car somewhere I had to get it fixed, simple as that. Usually I get the "Your car is how old? It looks brand new!" when we start talking cars with people. I spend a great deal of time detailing them and when I fix things I like to do it right, no bubblegum bandaids on my cars.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
One of my neighbors - who I'll call the "Strivers" - are always in and out of new his and hers Mercedes or BMWs, probably on a lease.
Then there are the two physicians, who can likely afford nearly any vehicles on the planet but who each drive a Prius.
Physician from California? LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the plugs replaced as scheduled maintenance suggest. I think at 100k. Guess honda doesn't care. I'm very disappointed in the brand I've driven for 25 years.

The Honda class action lawsuit has closed and new claimants are no longer accepted. The problem was with the rod bearings in a bunch of the 2008 to 2012 V6 engines. For a while, Honda was telling people that it was perfectly fine to be adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, but that was because they probably hadn't known how many were affected by the problem and they wanted to avoid liability. At least that's my take on it. They didn't fess up until the class action lawsuit was brought against them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Honda class action lawsuit has closed and new claimants are no longer accepted. The problem was with the rod bearings in a bunch of the 2008 to 2012 V6 engines. For a while, Honda was telling people that it was perfectly fine to be adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, but that was because they probably hadn't known how many were affected by the problem and they wanted to avoid liability. At least that's my take on it. They didn't fess up until the class action lawsuit was brought against them.
And this issue is a lot like the Takata air bag inflator recall, affecting many makers... A lot of manufacturers buy parts from the same companies, and when those companies have sold inferior quality parts, it affects all of their buyers.
The only reason manufacturers are replacing a it bag inflator at no charge is that they are a safety issue that is regulated, and failure to cover these parts would result in massive liability as well as regulatory action.

·
Registered
2013 Pilot EX-L AWD "Tank", 05 Accord, 04 Saturn Vue V6 AWD "poor mans pilot"
12 Posts
I have a 2013 EX-L AWD. <110k and engine has about 60K. I need VCM disabling device!
Already had Eco valve replaced after driving off lot (original motor) and new tires (plug in sidewall). Used motor only had 60K miles, I had timing belt snap cause mechanic over tightened it.
I'll post some photos in classified as I added "everything" to it including block heater and replaced sound system except head unit (that's next for it to sound right). I get like 10/17 NOT 15/25 stated by any means. MAD about gas mileage and tried everything. Hence I'd be glad to sell it with title in hand. I do like 4WD low button but eco sucks and is useless.
Had a 16 I think as loaner when engine was replaced and it was plain, not enough outlets without 4wd low but had eco button had PWR and got gas mileage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To be fair, I also expect my car to run right and start every time. But things will break and get worn out. Sometimes there won't be any extended warranty to rely on. So then you have the dilemma of whether or not you want to drop the money to get it fixed, or you can finance/lease a new car and never have to pay for repairs.

I like to own my stuff, don't mind not having the newest thing and don't cringe at the thought of spending $1k on a timing belt or $800 on a new set of tires. But some people want the newest gadgets and can't stand to spend money on their cars. To that I say, if you have the money then go ahead. It's just not for me.
More bells and whistles, more bells and whistles problems, lol.

More bells and whistles, more bells and whistles problems, lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's not an uncommon issue. Caused by the Variable Cylinder Management or "ECO" light that comes on. You likely missed the warranty extension. Others on this forum have recommended disabling VCM (there are several devices out there that do this) and then changing to 5W-30 (I [email protected] Grease has some experience with this).

Also oil consumption is not entirely uncommon, so observe how much oil is being consumed before you make any expensive repairs.

How many miles are on your Pilot?
So is 5w-30 better for a vehicle higher mileage around 126k+? I have already disabled vcm but wondering if I should do other things to be more proactive against this issue.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,378 Posts
So is 5w-30 better for a vehicle higher mileage around 126k+? I have already disabled vcm but wondering if I should do other things to be more proactive against this issue.
My opinion would be to stick with the proper weight recommend. I experimented with this and heavier weight oil made my vehicle feel sluggish, as if it were under a load.
Some oils evaporate less than others. I started using Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil for its ability to resist thermal breakdown. I noticed a considerable drop in oil consumption, not having top off oil between oil changes near as much. Availability and price has made this less attractive, although Wal-Mart has begun to carry and ship from their warehouse again. @xGS has noted recently that Penzoil and Quakerstate too have a lower Noack rating than most oils. These would be less susceptible to thermal breakdown. Oil brands have different formulations. It be good to research an oil specifically to make sure it is has a low Noack rating. Extended Performance oils were IMO the worse. Again, just trying to keep oil and vapors out of my catalytic converters. This will help keep those emission codes off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So there's a known warranty extension on the 2012 pilot that makes the spark plugs foul and burn oil. I had the plug foul and the car wasn't driveable so limped it to a local mechanic that diagnosed with the plug fouling code and replaced the plug. They also said I had burned a lot of oil. They didn't know of the warranty. Now Honda is saying they won't provide the service because it wasn't diagnosed by them. I'm going to call customer relations but if they won't do the repair I will never buy another Honda. I always thought Honda to be reliable and if not they'd honor their word. This is very disappointing. And if any of you have plugs foul (dashboard warnings light up all over and car won't run) have the car towed to honda if you're within 10 years of purchase. Do NOT have the car fixed. Seems ironic honda would encourage you to drive an unreliable car but I guess that's the new Honda. I will update if I get any word from customer relations!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts