Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,699 Posts
In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do maintenance at the dealer. As long as maintenance has been done and it's documented, that's all that should matter. I am firmly against paying the ridiculous price tag for dealer service and the idea that unless its maintained at the dealer, the car is a piece of crap.

I've sold a few cars over the years and people always ask if it was dealer maintained and if it wasn't they'd use that as a reason to lowball me. I trust my mechanic 100x more than any dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In theory Jack, I agree with you. There is nothing magical about dealer service and sometimes they are too expensive. But the practical reality is that when there is an issue and Honda and the local dealer have to judge: (1) whether to go to beyond what is contractually required under the warranty; and (2) evaluate the quality of the car’s service history as part of the calculation as whether the customer should bear liability for the repair, it is impractical for them to evaluate the quality of non-dealer service.

Further, I would say that I think many people are too ready to take the car outside the factory dealer network without appreciating that if something major does happen and you are out of warranty, you will be on your own. At the end of the proverbial day it is a risk reward judgment for the owner - just don’t complain if the person takes the benefit of potentially cheaper service but then wants to publicly complain when Honda won’t make a free major repair on a car that is out of warranty. That is the trade off and that is what happened here.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EXL
10 Posts
not sure if any manufacturer will treat you any better, sadly. I myself, am a big Toyota fan (4Runner all day long and twice on Sunday...) main reason I'm here is that my wife just bought a Pilot so I'm getting familiar with the platform. Toyotas have always been reliable for us but if you DO have a problem, they're a major pain in the *** to deal with too. Thankfully, only one issue with them in ~25 years but I've had friends with similar experiences. point is, I think they're all like that. Wish you the best. Also check out the Highlander...only reason wife didn't bag one is that she needed the third row and the Pilot won out in that department.

·
Registered
187 Posts
not sure if any manufacturer will treat you any better, sadly. I myself, am a big Toyota fan (4Runner all day long and twice on Sunday...) main reason I'm here is that my wife just bought a Pilot so I'm getting familiar with the platform. Toyotas have always been reliable for us but if you DO have a problem, they're a major pain in the *** to deal with too. Thankfully, only one issue with them in ~25 years but I've had friends with similar experiences. point is, I think they're all like that. Wish you the best. Also check out the Highlander...only reason wife didn't bag one is that she needed the third row and the Pilot won out in that department.
the new highlander hybrid is so tempting me right now. i'm trying to hold off as long as possible to see if they make a HLH prime just like the rav4 prime

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
One of our nieces has a Highlander Hybrid, loves it especially compared with her previous Corolla. 2 Kids added to the fleet so bigger family means bigger ride. Hubby, who is also a doctor, gets the sporty ride. Even in new-age professional families, she gets the mom-mobile.

I suggested that mrs dr bob look at those when we were shopping for her last car. She liked sitting up higher and the cab-on-frame ride she was used to in her previous 4Runner, so the new 4Runner was selected. Highlander was "too small", since it couldn't hold comfortably four sets of clubs and 4x weekend luggage with the middle seats up for girls golf getaways. Hasn't been a need since we've been married.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
Toyotas have always been reliable for us but if you DO have a problem, they're a major pain in the *** to deal with too.
[/QUOTE]
That's true, Toyota are reliable hence I still my 98 Rav4. But my corolla radio my 2010 kept going off on max volume and that one is a headache. Toyota won't even replace the radio. So imagine if it is a faulty sensor, wish you luck. I am glad I got rid of that lemon.

My friend who has an outback, been going back and forth to the dealer because of CVT issues and dealer haven't replaced the tranny yet.

Knocking on wood on my Pilot. Crossing my fingers and my legs that no major issues will happen. I've been hearing issues of check engine light for the injectors on same year model.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
One of our nieces has a Highlander Hybrid, loves it especially compared with her previous Corolla.

I suggested that mrs dr bob look at those when we were shopping for her last car. She liked sitting up higher and the cab-on-frame ride she was used to in her previous 4Runner, so the new 4Runner was selected.
Did mrs dr bob give any consideration to a Lexus GX?
Lexus.com | Experience Amazing

·
Registered
6 Posts
So there's a known warranty extension on the 2012 pilot that makes the spark plugs foul and burn oil. I had the plug foul and the car wasn't driveable so limped it to a local mechanic that diagnosed with the plug fouling code and replaced the plug. They also said I had burned a lot of oil. They didn't know of the warranty. Now Honda is saying they won't provide the service because it wasn't diagnosed by them. I'm going to call customer relations but if they won't do the repair I will never buy another Honda. I always thought Honda to be reliable and if not they'd honor their word. This is very disappointing. And if any of you have plugs foul (dashboard warnings light up all over and car won't run) have the car towed to honda if you're within 10 years of purchase. Do NOT have the car fixed. Seems ironic honda would encourage you to drive an unreliable car but I guess that's the new Honda. I will update if I get any word from customer relations!
Sad and sorry to say Honda (all models) does not have the reliability it once had. It's as simple as that. My 2008 Pilot threw a spark plug at 67K miles. Cost $1000s to repair.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On a related note, earlier this year our 2012 Odyssey had a similar issue. I had changed the timing belt about a month before and one day out of nowhere, the "Check Engine" light pops on. I get it home and check the codes and it says that there was a misfire in cylinder 3. The van was still running well...so to be safe, I called ahead first and then took it to my dealer. They confirmed that the plugs were soaked and that it was the dreaded failure due to the VCM.

Two things in particular really sucked about this: 1) My Honda Care service contract had expired only 1 month earlier. and 2) I was SIX DAYS past the recall warranty period that Honda had put into place to address the issue for free. It was bad...but it could have been much worse. I have flawless maintenance records in the dealer system and although they could not cover the entire $4000 cost, they covered the biggest chunk of it and I only paid about $650. This, to me, is a perfect example of why I think it's worth doing all of your maintenance at a dealer if at all possible.

I got it fixed and everything was fine....until about two weeks ago when my wife was hit nearly head-on by another woman who screwed up and came into her lane on a highway near our home. They collided at about 55 mph. Outside of some burn marks on her arm from the airbag deployment, my wife was OK....but the Odyssey was not. The insurance company totaled it out and we just bought a 2020 Pilot Elite this past Saturday.
Glad to hear the wife is ok-

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
So the summation of this thread:

1. Every dealership sucks to deal with.
  2. Very few vehicles on the road today are reliable and to be trusted.
  3. Some believe that getting all of your service done at the dealer pays off when you need a major repair done.
  4. People love 4Runners (me too) which is why Toyota keeps rolling out a 15 year old chassis and selling more than ever.
  5. @mdhaus should buy another Ody because anything that protects an occupant with an airbag burn in a 55 mph collision is an amazing vehicle.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I think Consumer Reports Reliability rankings are the best summary of this thread:
2019 Honda 12th
2015 Honda 8th
Pre-2011 Honda in the top 3

Quality at Honda has steadily declined.
Honda has dropped to 15th place for 2020.

Who's ready to buy a Porsche, Genesis, Subaru, Mazda, Lexus, Audi, Hyundai, BMW, KIA, Mini, Tesla, Toyota, Lincoln or Infiniti, instead of a Honda?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Honda has dropped to 15th place for 2020.

Who's ready to buy a Porsche, Genesis, Subaru, Mazda, Lexus, Audi, Hyundai, BMW, KIA, Mini, Tesla, Toyota, Lincoln or Infiniti, instead of a Honda?
I find it hard to believe any German brand could place that high on the list, enough family members have owned German cars and I hear them constantly complain about reliability... same with Subaru when they STILL have major engine issues even after the head gasket problems of 10 years ago. My sister's 3 year old outback just had an engine out repair done, as seems popular in this thread weeks after the warranty ended.

Honestly, the most reliable brand we've had since I started driving has been Hyundai. Our Hondas have generally not been problematic, my mom did dumper her '04 Pilot right when the transmission started shuddering at 110k.

And the most laughable is Tesla. But I guess if half the car is broken or crappy from the factory then it's hard to get any worse.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I find it hard to believe any German brand could place that high on the list, enough family members have owned German cars and I hear them constantly complain about reliability... same with Subaru when they STILL have major engine issues even after the head gasket problems of 10 years ago. My sister's 3 year old outback just had an engine out repair done, as seems popular in this thread weeks after the warranty ended.

Honestly, the most reliable brand we've had since I started driving has been Hyundai. Our Hondas have generally not been problematic, my mom did dumper her '04 Pilot right when the transmission started shuddering at 110k.

And the most laughable is Tesla. But I guess if half the car is broken or crappy from the factory then it's hard to get any worse.
Actually, that list was an "overall" rating, which combined the results of vehicle tests, reliability and owner satisfaction.

The reliability only ranking from last year is:
Lexus
Mazda
Toyota
Porsche
Genesis
Hyundai
Subaru
Dodge
Kia
Mini
Nissan
Honda
Infiniti
Audi
Lincoln
Ford
BMW
Buick
Chrysler
Mitsubishi
Mercedes-Benz
GMC
Tesla
Volvo
Chevrolet
Jeep
Volkswagen
Acura
Alfa Romeo
Cadillac

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Actually, that list was an "overall" rating, which combined the results of vehicle tests, reliability and owner satisfaction.

The reliability only ranking from last year is:
Lexus
Mazda
Toyota
Porsche
Genesis
Hyundai
Subaru
Dodge
Kia
Mini
Nissan
Honda
Infiniti
Audi
Lincoln
Ford
BMW
Buick
Chrysler
Mitsubishi
Mercedes-Benz
GMC
Tesla
Volvo
Chevrolet
Jeep
Volkswagen
Acura
Alfa Romeo
Cadillac
A little better but still plenty to find fault with... at the end of the day CR is well known to have biases so I tend to ignore their car reviews and reports.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
A little better but still plenty to find fault with... at the end of the day CR is well known to have biases so I tend to ignore their car reviews and reports.
According to CR, if you want a vehicle (that isn't either a sports car or fully electric) with scores that are much better than average for both predicted reliability and owner satisfaction, then your only choice is a Prius.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I "hate" all "NEWER" model vehicles

The manufacturers are now playing consumers for being "dummies"

newer model cars = Pure BS "gadgets"
Cheap parts ( body and engine )

Because they see that the "idiots" these days dispose of cars as soon as a "newer design" comes out.... usually every 4 years, or less.

The "idiots" these days wants their vehicle to do everything for them, include thinking.

Wake me up
make me coffee, black
call the kids history teacher
start the shower at 67 degrees
check the weather
find me music my cat loves on XFM
sense how wet my driveway is
check my tire pressure
sense if my gas tank cap is tight
sense any shock such as neighbors dog is on my lawn, and activate alarm
monitor my location and tell me how long to get to Starbucks
monitor Starbucks and tell me how many customers is in the line
call my shrink
play the DVD in the RES
adjust the temperature in the 13,000lb trailer I'm towing
monitor my doors so when i get within 5 feet open all doors
I'm driver 2, adjust my seating settings
monitor how many red vehicles is in the HOV lane
monitor when i go to the bathroom and turn off vehicle ignition

all this on a 12v battery

The "modern" vehicles dashboard lights up more than the NASA Space Shuttle or an airplane

yet the "idiots" wonder why, most morning the vehicles can't start, their battery is drained after sitting for only 3 days.

:unsure::devilish:

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I "hate" all "NEWER" model vehicles

The manufacturers are now playing consumers for being "dummies"

newer model cars = Pure BS "gadgets"
Cheap parts ( body and engine )

Because they see that the "idiots" these days dispose of cars as soon as a "newer design" comes out.... usually every 4 years, or less.

The "idiots" these days wants their vehicle to do everything for them, include thinking.

Wake me up
make me coffee, black
call the kids history teacher
start the shower at 67 degrees
check the weather
find me music my cat loves on XFM
sense how wet my driveway is
check my tire pressure
sense if my gas tank cap is tight
sense any shock such as neighbors dog is on my lawn, and activate alarm
monitor my location and tell me how long to get to Starbucks
monitor Starbucks and tell me how many customers is in the line
call my shrink
play the DVD in the RES
adjust the temperature in the 13,000lb trailer I'm towing
monitor my doors so when i get within 5 feet open all doors
I'm driver 2, adjust my seating settings
monitor how many red vehicles is in the HOV lane
monitor when i go to the bathroom and turn off vehicle ignition

all this on a 12v battery

The "modern" vehicles dashboard lights up more than the NASA Space Shuttle or an airplane

yet the "idiots" wonder why, most morning the vehicles can't start, their battery is drained after sitting for only 3 days.

:unsure::devilish:
The "idiots" would all die if they had to live with the Accord sedan I bought in 1980.
According to the brochure, the "stunning array of standard equipment" included a quartz electric clock,a cigarette lighter, lighted ashtrays, a vanity mirror, a tachometer and a trip odometer. No RES or GPS. Air conditioning was a dealer-installed accessory, as was the front entertainment system - an AM/FM radio (with or without a cassette tape player). The door locks and seat adjustments were manual and you had to crank the windows up and down.
The maintenance reminder was mechanically driven by the odometer which tripped an indicator in the instrument cluster when it was time for an oil change.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The "idiots" would all die if they had to live with the Accord sedan I bought in 1980.
According to the brochure, the "stunning array of standard equipment" included a quartz electric clock,a cigarette lighter, lighted ashtrays, a vanity mirror, a tachometer and a trip odometer. No RES or GPS. Air conditioning was a dealer-installed accessory, as was the front entertainment system - an AM/FM radio (with or without a cassette tape player). The door locks and seat adjustments were manual and you had to crank the windows up and down.
The maintenance reminder was mechanically driven by the odometer which tripped an indicator in the instrument cluster when it was time for an oil change.

View attachment 139727
My '61 Impala must have been light years ahead of your Accord, a technological marvel! Not only did it have crank operated vent windows (manual turning the window and latching it is for poor people), it also had cable operated vents for the footwell... I get more air in that thing with everything opened up than I do in the '01 325Ci convertible we have with the top down.

Reactions: Churchill729
41 - 60 of 77 Posts