Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's a known warranty extension on the 2012 pilot that makes the spark plugs foul and burn oil. I had the plug foul and the car wasn't driveable so limped it to a local mechanic that diagnosed with the plug fouling code and replaced the plug. They also said I had burned a lot of oil. They didn't know of the warranty. Now Honda is saying they won't provide the service because it wasn't diagnosed by them. I'm going to call customer relations but if they won't do the repair I will never buy another Honda. I always thought Honda to be reliable and if not they'd honor their word. This is very disappointing. And if any of you have plugs foul (dashboard warnings light up all over and car won't run) have the car towed to honda if you're within 10 years of purchase. Do NOT have the car fixed. Seems ironic honda would encourage you to drive an unreliable car but I guess that's the new Honda. I will update if I get any word from customer relations!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the plugs replaced as scheduled maintenance suggest. I think at 100k. Guess honda doesn't care. I'm very disappointed in the brand I've driven for 25 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I may try that. I have about 136k miles. I think I have 2 weeks left on the warranty they said. Just should go for a super long drive and hope it doesn't fail in the middle of nowhere. Haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hear you. Guess I didn't consider it a rant as much as Honda playing games with their warranty extension and warning others in the same place to not make the same mistake. I guess I should just say that since the car is 9 years old that Honda is ok not honoring their warranty and I should just accept whatever they want to do? Seems shady. Driving 20 miles to the nearest Honda dealer is not ideal and the care has been maintained exactly as it should. Not sure if you've driven a car that's missing but driving it 20 miles to the nearest Honda dealer while limping along and sputtering didn't seem like a great option with my kids in the car. I just found it odd that the dealer wanted to do the job but Honda corporate wouldn't cover unless the code came through at their shop. Just seems arbitrary to me. And I know, they got my $$ already so they don't really care. Just hate to switch brands after always having Honda's for over 20 years but that's what it seems like that's what needs to be done. I can't drive a brand that doesn't honor their own warranty, even if it was an extension.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Was there no prior warning that the engine was running less than optimally?
Did the spark plugs suddenly foul spontaneously to the point of making the vehicle undriveable?

Went from perfectly fine to undrivable on an instant. Dashboard lights like a Christmas tree. No advance warning. I'll just carry plugs and a wrench on me from now on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a minute. I won't try and make it seem like it's your fault like some other people are trying to do.

All auto manufacturers have warranty policies. If something breaks and falls under a warranty, you likely pay for a diagnostic. If they find it to be an error on their part, they will fix it. So keep in mind, you likely have some skin in the game. I know oil consumption tests for Accords and other Hondas were done over a few oil changes, all paid for at the owner's expense.
This work MUST be done at a dealership. Not an independent mechanic. So the fact that the spark plugs are in the trash likely means you're SOL. I would hope Honda would at least assist in some of the repair price (if there is any) as a goodwill gesture. Just keep in mind, there is a process to get things covered under warranty and you didn't follow that process. That's why if I am experiencing a problem with one of my cars, I'll try and look it up on the internet just to ensure it isn't some warranty issue. If it isn't, I'll go to my independent mechanic, but if there's a possibility of it being covered by Honda, I'll go to the dealer.

I'm not quite sure what's wrong with your Pilot other than the spark plugs getting fouled up. You may be able to live with the oil consumption. Disable the VCM to prevent any further damage.
I agree. And my independent mechanic should have known and sent me to the dealer. And I should have researched and went to the dealer. I screwed upI. can live with it but I'm getting rid of the car because I can't drive it knowing that it could become undrivable at any time, especially in the winter, even if I have the plugs. Time for a new brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And that's what I don't understand. Spark plugs DO go bad. Especially on these Hondas. I'm assuming the car has at least 100k miles on it so it's pretty reasonable. Sounds like you just want a new car and you're using this to justify it...which is absolutely fine.
Nah. Was hoping to get 200k out of it. Plugs replaced as scheduled at I belive 100k miles. Fouling started after 25k on new plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.