Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's a known warranty extension on the 2012 pilot that makes the spark plugs foul and burn oil. I had the plug foul and the car wasn't driveable so limped it to a local mechanic that diagnosed with the plug fouling code and replaced the plug. They also said I had burned a lot of oil. They didn't know of the warranty. Now Honda is saying they won't provide the service because it wasn't diagnosed by them. I'm going to call customer relations but if they won't do the repair I will never buy another Honda. I always thought Honda to be reliable and if not they'd honor their word. This is very disappointing. And if any of you have plugs foul (dashboard warnings light up all over and car won't run) have the car towed to honda if you're within 10 years of purchase. Do NOT have the car fixed. Seems ironic honda would encourage you to drive an unreliable car but I guess that's the new Honda. I will update if I get any word from customer relations!

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Do you have a link to the info? I have a 2012 and honestly have not even looked at what the recommended service for the plugs is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the plugs replaced as scheduled maintenance suggest. I think at 100k. Guess honda doesn't care. I'm very disappointed in the brand I've driven for 25 years.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
That's not an uncommon issue. Caused by the Variable Cylinder Management or "ECO" light that comes on. You likely missed the warranty extension. Others on this forum have recommended disabling VCM (there are several devices out there that do this) and then changing to 5W-30 (I [email protected] Grease has some experience with this).

Also oil consumption is not entirely uncommon, so observe how much oil is being consumed before you make any expensive repairs.

How many miles are on your Pilot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I may try that. I have about 136k miles. I think I have 2 weeks left on the warranty they said. Just should go for a super long drive and hope it doesn't fail in the middle of nowhere. Haha

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If Honda will pay, I'd work that angle 1st. Then if you want to keep the vehicle long term, you might consider disabling the VCM. Having your engine run on 6 cylinders 100% of time can prevent some of the issues you have. It's important to know how a VCM disabling device works and maintaing the vehicle's cooling system.
Please keep us up to date. Ty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep you posted. If they won't fix like they should this will be the first car other than a Honda I've bought since I was 16 and I won't buy one ever again.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Put the old plug back in, and limp the car into the dealer's driveway. They will fix it.

Just sayin'...

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They suggested that! For real! Place I had it fixed (not honda dealer) tossed the old plug before I knew about this. This is a Honda corporate policy.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'll keep you posted. If they won't fix like they should this will be the first car other than a Honda I've bought since I was 16 and I won't buy one ever again.
Hate to bare the bad news ..Honda doesn't give a Sh*t about how many of these stupid POS you bought... They already got your money..now your just a number in the bill of sales :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Having your engine run on 6 cylinders 100% of time can prevent some of the issues you have.
Not to mention that the car sucks way less to drive too. Even though it’s my wife’s car I hated driving it with vcm enabled. It’s solves a lot of the drivability issues.

I think I filled out every owner survey from Honda that I’d never buy another VCM car even before I knew it caused engine damage. I begged the dealer to disable it. What odd is that it didnt seem noticeable for the first 5-10k miles. After that though. Miserable. In all likelihood we’ll go German for our next SUV and trade one set of frustrations for another.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I had the VCM tuner in since day one on my 15 when it came to changing the plugs they were rusted and worn out ... not fouled in any way ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
To be fair, it seems every manufacturer has had and still has problems with cylinder deactivation. Most of them rushed half baked technology into production to meet government fuel mileage standards.

IMO, Honda is no longer a high quality manufacturer worthy of a price premium like Toyota.

·
Registered
753 Posts
To be fair, it seems every manufacturer has had and still has problems with cylinder deactivation. Most of them rushed half baked technology into production to meet government fuel mileage standards.

IMO, Honda is no longer a high quality manufacturer worthy of a price premium like Toyota.
To be fair I’m not sure Toyota is what it once was either. All cylinder deactivation systems seem like ineffective garbage.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Sorry to hear about you issue! I still like the VCM only because I have not had any issues. My 2009 pilot runs really good at 216,000 miles and I guess I average around 20 to 21 miles per gallon. I bought it when it was 2 years old from a dealer. I always changed the oil religiously myself with synthetic oil, and try to keep all the other fluids clean myself. I changed the spark plugs around 100,000 miles ago with the timing belt, water pump, Aisin kit.
People who I know that own European cars tell me they are really expensive to maintain, and repair. High Maintenance!! If my Honda makes 15 years old I will be a happy camper, 4 more years to go.

I have only changed one 02 sensor since owning it, so I am sure some others are due to be done soon. I can not say I'm that brand loyal, I bounced from Toyota, to Honda, and now 2 Lexus's.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The only car in the garage that's cheaper per mile is the older 4Runner. The German toys are way more, and would be prohibitive if I were depending on the dealer for service. A neighbor has an out-of-warranty AMG sedan, and an estimate of about $3500 for new fuel pumps. Kinda hard to swallow, even considering it was over $100k new. A little over $1k to get the parts here, less than an hour to do the work, per the online estimates anyway. For most folks, it makes sense to only own them whiile they are under warranty. Buy extended warranty coverage or CPO. Know that routine service bills over $1k are common, and those are not covered by any warranty.

We get twisted up by Honda Pilot costs; they are an absolute bargain compared with at least the higher-end German options. I'd get a Lexus before a VW/Audi, FWIW.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With all respect to the original poster, rants are not helpful. 2012 models are now 9 years old. If the car is not maintained by a Honda dealer and the dealer did not diagnose the issue and cannot otherwise vouch for you because the car lacks a dealer service history, it is asking a lot for Honda to do a $4k ring job on the house. I am with you on vcm on all makes of cars and think it and many other fuel saving technologies sacrifice long term reliability for incremental fuel economy gain. We have a 2012 with similar mileage serviced at the local dealer. When the same issue occurred about a year ago, they fixed the car and provided a loaner, no questions asked. I don't want to sound like a fanboy because I am not, but with these newer cars and all the embedded technology, if you have a dealer who is fair on pricing and provided good service, I would keep the car in the factory service network precisely because when this type of thing happens, and it happens not infrequently with all makes of cars, even Toyota and Honda, it gives Honda and your local dealer much greater incentive to help you - because they want to keep you as a customer. I also get the factory extended warranties - the cost for the pilot was about 1400 and given the cost of things, I consider it kind of a no brainer if you are keeping the car long term.

Our other daily driver is a 4runner and while it is newer, the running costs and reliability this far are similar to the Pilot when it was newer. Toyota and Honda still make solid vehicles but as I said there are steps owners should take to protect themselves from the costly technology embedded in these newer cars. (We have a 9 year Toyota warranty on the 4runner - again 1500 for 9 years was not a close call for me.) And as far as the Germans go I will echo Dr Bob - I keep an older BMW around because it dates from a time when those cars were far more visceral and drove like nothing else. I have owned that car for 20+ years now and let me tell you that while I love that old thing, there is no comparison between the running costs on a Honda or Toyota and anything German. Honda and Toyota are far more reliable, less costly, and just easier to own. You want anything German, lease it and give it back in 3 - 4 years. Then let them recycled it into a soda can. You will be a happier person.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts