Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I guess the latest thing around here is, among other things like a LOT of car-jacking, they are stealing license plates. From everything Ive read in the forums I should be seeing M6 screws on my 2017 Pilot. I tried an M6 on mine, and its too big. Instead I have sheet metal screws that are closest to a #12 x 1/2”. I have been looking at the Security Star Button Head screws, but they are all M6 kits at the auto parts stores, or 1/4”. Anyone know what size this screw SHOULD be for these model years? Maybe the nylon plate thread is “threadable” (is that a word?), but not easily from my attempt. I cant find #12 button heads anywhere.

Thanks much!

TG

·
Registered
433 Posts
What about lowes or home depot hardware section. Take a bolt in with you and they have thread checkers. Once u know the size u can pick what head is available

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about lowes or home depot hardware section. Take a bolt in with you and they have thread checkers. Once u know the size u can pick what head is available
Yep, went to Menards and HD, same thing. All special order, nothing in stock. I did take the screw in and matched it with the #12, closest. Just trying to determine if there is a standard thread to be expected for this fitting.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
So I guess the latest thing around here is, among other things like a LOT of car-jacking, they are stealing license plates. From everything Ive read in the forums I should be seeing M6 screws on my 2017 Pilot. I tried an M6 on mine, and its too big. Instead I have sheet metal screws that are closest to a #12 x 1/2”. I have been looking at the Security Star Button Head screws, but they are all M6 kits at the auto parts stores, or 1/4”. Anyone know what size this screw SHOULD be for these model years? Maybe the nylon plate thread is “threadable” (is that a word?), but not easily from my attempt. I cant find #12 button heads anywhere.

Thanks much!

TG

Where do you live California?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
What kind of head does the current fastener have? Is it a hex head or Phillips head? If they are Phillips head just take a drill and drill the screwdriver recess out of the head of the screw once you get them tight. You can always use visegrips to take them out later if you ever need to remove the plate.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Stainless hex or torx head replacement bolts. Add a little thread locker to slow them down. I’d be more concerned about the CAT thieves.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Stainless hex or torx head replacement bolts. Add a little thread locker to slow them down. I’d be more concerned about the CAT thieves.
I know, Screw this LOL

Cat thieves? I'll have to start watching my expensive live coral now too! LOL

I'm assuming these are parked outside at night? I'm realizing more and more how fortunate I am to park in my attached 2.5 car garage!

Reactions: TGPilotElite

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I know, Screw this LOL

I'm assuming these are parked outside at night? I'm realizing more and more how fortunate I am to park in my attached 2.5 car garage!
Buddy parked his Honda Accord on a busy city street for some brunch. Came out to discover a booming exhaust as the CAT thieves struck his and a few other Hondas down the block. Honda CATs were obviously on the hit list and targeted. Repair estimates ranged in the $1500 level if he didn’t want insurance involved. Eventually found someone to repair for bit less. Looks like a new business has been born....
Product Font Line Auto part Screenshot

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I know, Screw this LOL

What do you park in the .5 part? Golf cart?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
What do you park in the .5 part? Golf cart?
Motorcycle - down to 1 this winter.

The .5 is really just a really long garage front to back, so lots of space when both Pilots are in there. You could easily park a midsize, smaller vehicle up there transversely. It has pretty good space on the sides too, like for out 25" wide Snow thrower, bikes, etc.
No golf cart

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Motorcycle - down to 1 this winter.

The .5 is really just a really long garage front to back, so lots of space when both Pilots are in there. You could easily park a midsize, smaller vehicle up there transversely. It has pretty good space on the sides too, like for out 25" wide Snow thrower, bikes, etc.
No golf cart
Aha. A lot of homes here have a double garage door for two cars and a small third door for the golf cart. Lots of developers built houses around golf courses in Florida.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found this at Autozone (also Menard's), an M6 x 20 mm, in case anyone else is looking. The originals were coarse thread sheet metal screws, but I was able to rethread them with a bit of effort in our freezing cold weather here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Buddy parked his Honda Accord on a busy city street for some brunch. Came out to discover a booming exhaust as the CAT thieves struck his and a few other Hondas down the block. Honda CATs were obviously on the hit list and targeted. Repair estimates ranged in the $1500 level if he didn’t want insurance involved. Eventually found someone to repair for bit less. Looks like a new business has been born.... View attachment 145019
They showed on the local news here the other night they either have or steal tow trucks, pull up to a car, hook up, tow it down the block, crawl underneath and cut the cat out with a cordless grinder or whatever, drop the car, and leave. They had video of it, it took about 5 mins. total. They said they were even doing it in broad daylight in parking lots, as @aggrex said. Many folks on my local Nextdoor.com who've been hit are mostly Honda owners, and said they were the biggest targets. My question is, why don't they go after the metal recyclers who are obviously paying good money for stolen cats!

Re: the carjackings, they did a sting and busted about 40 culprits each on two different occasions over the past month or so, and the majority of them were under 18! :oops: How effing sad is that!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts