Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of others having this problem as well, the bolts welded onto the tailgate rust and when you go to switch out your plate the break off. Well, this happened to me and what I've done is use bolts and washers to mount the plate by taking the plastic interior off of the hatch to get to the other side of the metal. This will make taking the plate on or off a huge hassle in the future though, I've been looking everywhere for some type of bracket that mounts to the car and the plate mounts to the bracket alone, the same was it would to any other car. I've had no luck with this, does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Same happened to me, and now the plate is on semi-permanently. I do not relish the day I'll have to take it off, but I find solace in that if someone is looking to steal my plate, they'll move on to an easier target.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You know the window flashing membrane stuff? Sold at Home Depot.

Cut small squares of it - about inch by inch - and adhere them over the license plate holes.
Then mount license plate using stainless steel screws of about the same diameter as the holes.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
After getting the rusty bolts out apply some anti-seize on new stainless steel bolts to make things easier next time. On another vehicle I drilled out the stripped nut and used a nutsert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those are great tips. On mine, after the first bolt broke off, i just bougt two magnets, (they come in a pack if two at harbor freight) and used them to secure the loose end of the plate on the car, and just left the other screw alone. No issues in the last almost two years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts