Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, so I bought the car with one license plate bolt broken in the rear. They just held it to the body of the trunk with a self drilling screw :eek:

I bought a bolt removal kit off Amazon but it was completely useless and sheared off the broken bolt more. Can I remove the nut or is it welded onto the car?

If not, what other solution could I have?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Hi folks, so I bought the car with one license plate bolt broken in the rear. They just held it to the body of the trunk with a self drilling screw :eek:

I bought a bolt removal kit off Amazon but it was completely useless and sheared off the broken bolt more. Can I remove the nut or is it welded onto the car?

If not, what other solution could I have? View attachment 136796 View attachment 136797
I've used small drill bits gradually increasing the size to tap the old bolt out. I use brake fluid like others use PB Blaster or WD-40 to get it to break loose. The hot drill bit heating the metal as you drill can cause it to break loose.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Some bozo did the same to mine before I got it, and it's now somehow permanently attached. It bugs my OCD that my license plate is ever so slightly crooked. I'm probably the only one that notices it. However, since the plan is to keep it 'til the wheels fall off, I have no need to change the plate and I'm too indolent to start messing with drilling out bolts and the like, so I've decided just to live with it.

Sometimes sloth does win out over OCD. ¯\(ツ)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
There is always this option..............

...............But I wouldn't do it to my car.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Ahh yes, the bank robbers special. That would make things easier.

Step 1. Steal a car.

Step 2. Steal a license plate from a different car, same make.

Step 3. Put newly acquired license plate on newly acquired car.

Step 4. Rob Bank.
It was the Dalton gang.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Hey we tried to do two, count em, TWO banks at once. Perhaps the boys should have practiced on one before attempting such a lofty feat.
I think the boys needed to find safer work.
Ephesians 4:28

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 16 of 16 Posts